Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19in tire replacement?

Nelson

Oct 28, 2016
New Jersey
I see a lot of discussion around people replacing the Michelin 18in OEM tires but not much about the 19's. Got a nail in one of my tires, brought it to a local tire repair shop they said it can't be plugged because of the acoustic foam in the tire. Is this true if the nail wasn't in the sidewall? They put some sealant in it but said I should not even drive it but seems to be holding pressure for now.

Tires have 18k miles on them and are at 5/32nd's so if I replace should probably get at least 2 tires. If I do replace the tires what are others replacing their 19's with? I need all seasons as I am in NJ, preferably something with a a bit better treadwear or at least a warranty, I'd rather not replace tires every 25k miles but the torque is fun :)

Nelson

Oct 28, 2016
New Jersey
You can plug the tire just fine, take it to a better show. Discount tire fixed mine for free. They just remove the foam where the plug needs to go.

Thanks. Will try another shop. Should I be concerned that they now put sealant in the tire - will that soak into the foam and cause issues?

Glamisduner

Aug 2, 2017
Escondido, CA
Thanks. Will try another shop. Should I be concerned that they now put sealant in the tire - will that soak into the foam and cause issues?
Sealant can cause issues especially in tires with foam but they should be able to tell you when they rebalance the wheel. Discount tire fixed and balanced mine for free.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
You can plug the tire just fine, take it to a better show. Discount tire fixed mine for free. They just remove the foam where the plug needs to go.
Ditto plus super fast and they KNOW Tesla's, how to use jack pucks, Acoustic foam, walk in/10 minute wait and in less than an hour. Easily $100 to $150 worth of work for FREE.

Glamisduner

Aug 2, 2017
Escondido, CA
Ditto plus super fast and they KNOW Tesla's, how to use jack pucks, Acoustic foam, walk in/10 minute wait and in less than an hour. Easily $100 to $150 worth of work for FREE.
Well do keep an eye on them, and insist they use jack pucks. They lifted my friends model 3 without them on a lift (told him they do it all the time).

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Well do keep an eye on them, and insist they use jack pucks. They lifted my friends model 3 without them on a lift (told him they do it all the time).
Didn't have to since the person doing the work lowed car and turned over to the delivery guy. He was on his back trying to get the puck to release and asked me. About that time the tech came back over and got it off. They had an S in while doing mine and an X in the parking lot waiting or done. Said thy have done 100's of them. In this area we are awash in 3's too.

Boomer543

May 31, 2019
New Jersey
Everyone on here always has great things to say about Discount Tire. AFAIK, there aren't any in NJ, at least not around Northern NJ. Hope they come this way soon.

EdisonFire

Sep 2, 2015
NJ
I know we don't often consider Black Friday to be a Good tire buying time but I'm replacing my OEM Model S tires after 37K miles with Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 245/45ZR19 from Costco. With $70 & $80 off offers, total price is $855 for all four.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC