Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19in vs 20in Aftermarket Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to upgrade my rim/tire set... Currently running stock 18's on Michelin PS3's.

A few people have recommended jumping to 20in rims, but I am a little worried about that jump because the roads around my area are terrible (I live in Midtown ATL). Any pros/cons of both 19in and 20in rims?

My top 2 rim options currently:

HRE FF04
Titan T-S5

19s seem to have more sizes available for race-spec tires, and a broader list of models and range of specifications will fit over the knuckle and P brakes.

I didn’t notice a significant difference in comfort going from 20s to 19s, especially since my 20s were fitted with slightly taller 255/35R20.

But, 18s will generally do everything better from a purely functional perspective.

I'm running a 19x8.5 with 245/40/19. Like you trying to strike a balance between comfort, looks, and responsive handling. 245's gives me just a touch wider for a little rim protection (maybe???) and a bit more sidewall (not much). If your roads are really bad, then stick with something in the 18".

Reactions: VinayRaju21
Looking to upgrade my rim/tire set... Currently running stock 18's on Michelin PS3's.

A few people have recommended jumping to 20in rims, but I am a little worried about that jump because the roads around my area are terrible (I live in Midtown ATL). Any pros/cons of both 19in and 20in rims?

My top 2 rim options currently:

HRE FF04
Titan T-S5
Consider dented rims and pinch flats as a result of running lower profile tires. Just my 2¢ 😀

Reactions: VinayRaju21
@VinayRaju21 For pure street use 18" is functionally best, without question. Most sidewall but not too much, cheapest wheels, cheapest tires, best wheel protection, and there is no performance downside for any kind of street driving. I tear up the twisties all the times in my 18s and they feel great (with sporty 300 TW "max performance" tires).

@Lindenwood is right though that for track / autox use, 19" can be better. It gives you a bit more room to go wider inside where the rim approaches the knuckle, and last I looked there were more more track-friendly tire options in 19" sizes for this car. Plus more room for bigger brakes should you get to that point.

Picking 20" on this car is prioritizing show. You'll be paying the most for the wheels and tires, getting the worst ride, greatest risk of wheel damage or pinch flats, and without any performance benefit over 19". For sure good forged 20" can perform well but you are still sacrificing practicality and cost. Only you can decide if the look with 20" is worthwhile. From what I recall of ATL midtown roads (years ago), I wouldn't do it, but it's really up to you. Big wheels certainly fit in there though. ;)

On the looks front, if you go baller with 20s I suggest something with many spokes, or thick spokes. 20s with big open gaps between thin spokes can make the stock brakes look small.

Unless you're going to install bigger brakes too just for looks. ;)

I have the same forged Titan7 T-S5 as @SpriteM3 except in 18". I think in 18" or 19" they look great on this car. In 20" I would rather a different design that fills in the wheel a bit more. Just my opinion. I do really like my Titan 7's and would buy their wheels again. The price is right for forged, they look good, they make direct fitments (no need for rings or spacers), and mine have taken some serious beatings already without issue, hard enough to knock suspension parts loose. The taller sidewalls with 18" helps a whole lot of course. That's why 18" is right for us, even if it doesn't look as good.