Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1k Refunds on FSD Start March 11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a weekly reminder, that I use to send them an email... they actually usually tell me to ask again in the next 5-10 business days every time...

"Our apologies for the delayed response.

We do not have specific time frames for these automated refunds at this time. The guidelines provided describe the process as taking several weeks to roll out

Feel free to check back with me for updates in 5 to 10 business days."
I have also received this response & recently replied to it ~ 10 days after. No response to that reply yet.
I think everybody just needs to try to be a little patient and consider the refund something like a tax refund or a winning lottery ticket and assume that the money will eventually get to you. When it does, consider it to be found money.
When spending the $3000, I’m sure not many of us who jumped the gun, expected a $1000 refund until Elon announced on Twitter that it had been incorrectly priced. We just saw an opportunity to save a a thousand dollars or two versus the previous price of $4000-$5000 and were motivated by the free FSD hardware upgrade.

Reactions: jdirik
Yeah, you're right. My motivations are off course I don't want to forget about it, but also internally I think there's a learning experience for Tesla here. They can do certain things better and hopefully this kind of data can move it in the right way. Amazon and some other services kinda sets a bar for me on how fast refunds should happen, how fast things should get delivered, etc. I understand this is not Tesla's main goal, but I also think there's lots of room for improvement. Not to say 1k for me is not change money, but you're right - I was ok with 3k originally.

I got the following reply just now regards to my $1K EAP to FSD refund (when the price changed from $3K USD to $2K USD):

Unfortunately, your vehicle doesn't qualify for the refund. We constantly work to enhance Tesla cars and ensure owners have the best experience.  This means we periodically introduce new features to enhance your Tesla experience, which can result in price changes.Our goal is to continue adding features that give you greater driving pleasure. Thanks for being a part of the Tesla family. Visit our Support Page, which covers many frequently asked questions. You can reach us any time through your Tesla Account or [email protected].

Also, for those expressing resentment toward Tesla on these forums, assuming the OP has gotten accurate information, it’s important to remember the big picture and how important Tesla’s mission is.
Tesla's mission should have no bearing on customer satisfaction. I should not have to be happy that autopilot is now standard 4 weeks after I paid $3000 for just because I believe in the mission.

Call
1 (877) 798-3752

Just called that number - wait, wait, wait - in the meantime, while listening to their muzak, composed this:

"It has been a long while since you promised the $1000 FSD refund (I was charged $3K for the $2K item). I have contacted you about this before. I have now contacted my credit card provider disputing the $1000 overcharge. They have provisionally credited my account."
TESLA needs to credit my account NOW, or incur chargeback fees. It is in both your and my best interest for you to refund my account immediately!"

Still waiting... Enough! - hung up and sent it...

Just called that number - wait, wait, wait - in the meantime, while listening to their muzak, composed this:

"It has been a long while since you promised the $1000 FSD refund (I was charged $3K for the $2K item). I have contacted you about this before. I have now contacted my credit card provider disputing the $1000 overcharge. They have provisionally credited my account."
TESLA needs to credit my account NOW, or incur chargeback fees. It is in both your and my best interest for you to refund my account immediately!"

Still waiting... Enough! - hung up and sent it...
I just put it on speakerphone & go about my business until someone comes on the line. I think it took more time after they answered.

when a credit card dispute is filed they temporarily give you a credit of the amount until they make a determination. it gets rebilled if they go against your claim

i'm not sure you'll win but let us know

they have said it will go back on the card you paid with - but my payment was due and now I have zero balance. guess I might have a neg $1000 balance someday

is that elon tweet where they say they will be refunding $1k still up?

they have told a lot of people that they will be refunded...
I saved this screenshot.
4B6F5267-7765-4D49-8A8B-C73A8B648F78.png

Well I got new story today.. Tried Chat this time. Got a case number and it says I am approved for a refund.. They are working on the processing and getting these out by the end of this month. LOL We all know what that means. grrrrr so it drags on into May.....

• Informative
Reactions: tambam
OK, as of today my "provisional credit" is now permanent. The card company sided with me (as they should).
Apparently Tesla had 10 days to dispute my chargeback. Surprise, surprise, they were unresponsive.
So they got dinged chargeback fees (not sure how much, maybe $100 ?)
Anyhow, if they are unresponsive in refunding, it's not surprising they are also unresponsive in disputes and chargebacks.
They could have just credited the account when the I contacted them , and again when the card's bank contacted them, but they chose to do nothing...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
OK, as of today my "provisional credit" is now permanent. The card company sided with me (as they should).
Apparently Tesla had 10 days to dispute my chargeback. Surprise, surprise, they were unresponsive.
So they got dinged chargeback fees (not sure how much, maybe $100 ?)
Anyhow, if they are unresponsive in refunding, it's not surprising they are also unresponsive in disputes and chargebacks.
They could have just credited the account when the I contacted them , and again when the card's bank contacted them, but they chose to do nothing...

What did you provide the document to support the claim? I'm trying to do this as well. In the email, the Tesla support promised to refund me on March 11, but this is over a month now. Then i went back to the tesla.com blog on the pricing change update as promise to refund then guess what they deleted the blog.