Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st 135kW supercharger FOUND in U.S. (NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully someone can post a video of charging from near zero to 100% with a pack that maxes it out.

I doubt that 135 kW support is included in the 5.8 firmware. Probably won't be until 5.9 or, even more likely, 6.0.

Then we get to figure out which packs have the hardware capability and which do not. My Bet: B packs or better WILL support 135, while A packs will continue to be limited at 90, surprise, surprise.

I doubt that 135 kW support is included in the 5.8 firmware. Probably won't be until 5.9 or, even more likely, 6.0.

Then we get to figure out which packs have the hardware capability and which do not. My Bet: B packs or better WILL support 135, while A packs will continue to be limited at 90, surprise, surprise.

Another slap in the face to Sig "A Packs" ...

Start with an assumption...

- - - Updated - - -

... and run with it.

Edit:
Although, I think at this point you can consider the A pack abandoned. But I'd only consider it a slap in the face when Tesla successfully launches Gen 3, has multiple gigafactories, is making billions in profits and Elon Musk responds to questions on doing something for early adopters with a quote from his hero P.T. Barnum.

Last edited:
I don't understand this reaction. Technology moves on, we can all expect next years hardware to be better than this years. Even if only future cars can take the full 135kw, older cars would be no worse off than they were before the advancement in supercharger technology. And if the newer superchargers have faster throughput for newer cars, everyone will benefit when the stations are busy.

So this is the new version of the SuperChargers?

Somewhere else it was mentioned that in 3 ~ 4 weeks we should see new SuperChargers in Germany. Wondering if those are 135kW as well. Elon said they would be, so I assume.

However: (400V * 192A) * sqr(3) = 132kW

So in Europe we still won't get 135kW SuperCharging?

Correct, at least as the label appears. Again we see the requirement for the neutral conductor (3PH+N+GND), so I'm guessing we're seeing the same approach, just more parallel chargers. I'm betting you'll see about 125 kW out of that in 400Y/230V land.

- - - Updated - - -

So if I read the labels. The gen 1 uses 200-400V input, but gen 2 requires at least 380V.

That means that gen 2 is true 3-phase!

The existing 120 kW SpC's are true 3-phase; they balance the load across the three phases. If you're talking about using L-L voltages, it doesn't appear they've changed anything. Note the label still requires the neutral conductor. It's just that they've eliminated the 240VAC L-L delta configuration compatibility from the label, they probably didn't have any installations going in with a delta config anymore because wye is so predominant.

It's such a simple configuration and I'd be surprised if it's anything more than adding another set of 3 chargers to the SpC.

- - - Updated - - -

Comparing 120KW and 135KW:

Output current 120KW: 210A
Output current 135KW: 335A

So would that mean if 2 cars hook up, they would charge substantially faster than the older ones? Maybe even no 2 car penalty at all?

I believe the label was incorrect for 210A. It's supposed to read "310A", which would be absolute max. 410V * 310A = 127 kW. 410V * 210A is only 86 kW.

It means ventilation isn't required for indoor installations - ie. no toxic fumes.

Eh not exactly. It means for vehicles requiring ventilation while charging or not. It is a throwback to EVs that had lead acid batteries, part of the SAE J1772 signaling protocol. When a flooded lead acid battery is charging it can produce hydrogen gas. The J1772 protocol has signaling for ventilation or not. If an EV was plugged in that had lead acid batteries and had the correct signaling for ventilation required, the EVSE would not close the contactor and charge the vehicle if no ventilation was provided. This same signaling can also be used to start up a ventilation fan to vent vehicles that require it etc. See the section under "Signaling".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

I don't understand this reaction. Technology moves on, we can all expect next years hardware to be better than this years. Even if only future cars can take the full 135kw, older cars would be no worse off than they were before the advancement in supercharger technology. And if the newer superchargers have faster throughput for newer cars, everyone will benefit when the stations are busy.

Believe me, I think most of us would be happy enough with 120 kW, let alone 135. The reason some early adopters are still ticked off at Tesla is because of 120, which was repeatedly promised to us and was never delivered upon - not 135 kW, which was never promised.

Believe me, I think most of us would be happy enough with 120 kW, let alone 135. The reason some early adopters are still ticked off at Tesla is because of 120, which was repeatedly promised to us and was never delivered upon - not 135 kW, which was never promised.

For what it's worth, I don't recall ever being promised 120 kW Supercharging as a Signature owner. I was promised Supercharging, but I don't recall ever reading any statements that promised 120 kW to all cars. May have had my head in the sand (or NEC codebook :) ).

EDIT: To be fair, when 120 kW Supercharging was announced, there was also nothing that said early owners wouldn't be able to use it, either. So I suppose you can look at it both ways. Before the replacement of my pack, I simply congratulated the rev 1.1 owners who were able to use it, and I chalked it up to being a rev 1.0 owner. Now, of course, it's a moot point for me as I have a newer, refurbished pack as the result of mine failing.

Follow-up on this topic (90 vs 120 vs 135 for various battery packs) probably belongs here:
Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

Last edited:
Great news - Now we just need one more somewhere from S. Jersey to the Atl Co/Cape May beach towns (A.C. Expressway) and road-trippers will be all set!

yeah, perfect place is Harbor Square (aka Shore Mall). It just changed ownership AGAIN the other week. "In February 2014, Cedar Realty Trust sold Harbor Square to Aetna Realty for $25 million." dunno if that mean's they'll be tearing down the mall for condos....

> Comparing 120KW and 135KW:
> Output current 120KW: 210A
> Output current 135KW: 335A

The old 120kw chargers indeed began at 250 amps (not 210) but only if your battery SOC was low enough would you see those max amps. For most SC visitors, who arrive with a sensible mileage cushion, there isn't a dime's worth of difference.
--

A "TÜV Rheinland" sticker on the Las Vegas supercharger??? Lol, German bureaucracy and officialdom is taking over the world it seems ...
Actually as someone who works at Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and has a very loose relationship with the people that work on this stuff, from a certification standpoint, it's pretty disappointing to see a TUV sticker on the american made american installed SC'er. Still certifying to the UL standard, although as a field evaluation only it looks like.

The necessary tapering, the state of charge, temperature and two cars charging from one SC will all make the small difference between 120 and 135 close to irrelevant in the real world use. And even in an ideal situation, the difference is charging 20 min vs 22 min.