TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1st annual check up fee? $450??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Mar 26, 2018.

1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Hi all. My Model S is about to go through its first annual check up. My buddy went to a service center and he said they charged him $400 something dollars. Is that correct? I thought it is covered or am I wrong.

• Funny x 1
  2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

According to the Tesla website, price for RWD Model S is $475 for first maintenance visit, so seems about right. So unless you pre-purchased a maintenance plan, I would think you need to pay.

Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

• Helpful x 1
  3. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

annual service has always been ridiculously expensive for what they do.

• Like x 9
  4. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

It's all about billable hours. 2-3 hours of service to pay for at least 3 people worth in jobs. At least you don't have to pay for gas anymore, so use that saving to pay for service.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  5. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

Welcome to $175/hr shop rate! Wait until you are out of warranty then the real fun begins!

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Except for the battery coolant and drive unit fluids, the routine service is the same bogus stuff Jiffy Lube includes in their 30 dollar oil change... Don't see how battery coolant justifies an additional 800 dollars

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Geez.... I thought they bumped it to $650

8. arcus

arcus Active Member

It is cheaper for RWD.

• Like x 1
  9. number12

number12 Supporting Member

So do people do it or just skip?

10. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

I personally skip it. I can rotate tires and change my own key fob batteries, cabin air filters, and wiper blades for a lot less. You still get full warranty on the car as well (service center has never once said a thing about me not doing it while getting a warranty repair). The only one I don't plan to skip is the 4 year one as that includes a coolant flush which I'm not sure how to do on my own at this time.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  11. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

So do normally people just skip it? I just don't know how important is the oil change or whatever they do. Kinda stupid that they are charging people for this even under warranty.

• Disagree x 2
  12. RAW84

RAW84 Member

I don't mind paying for an annual service, but this car was billed as being so much cheaper to maintain because of it's significantly fewer moving parts. Then they turn around and charge these significantly higher than industry average prices for routine annual service checkups. That goes completely against their initial claim.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  13. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

The service cost is par with the. industry. The Luxus I've cost just as much. They have minor and major tune up schedule. It's pretty pricy and varies at each dealer. At least Tesla is consistency with that at all their SC

14. RAW84

RAW84 Member

It's more expensive than my Benz was...but why should it even be on par with ICEs and all their moving parts? It was billed as being simpler, not on par.

• Like x 6
  15. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Moving parts or not, the labor cost to perform it at the dealers don't change. To hire a mechanic to perform these tasks, their paid in par to the industry through a market survey. Just like a programmer. An annual tune up checks mostly the same thing.

16. RAW84

RAW84 Member

First, the labor rate at $175/hr is higher than my Benz dealer ($125/hr).

Second, why is it the same number of "tasks" if the car is so much easier to maintain with its fewer moving parts? They're not the same A and B services for Benzes include oil changes. And did I mention they were significantly cheaper?

Even if you want to say the EV specific services even out the ICE services, then stop billing it as being easier to maintain. It's "on par"

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

F0DE5856-6017-4530-990F-895DB1D75E31.png It's the same tasks.

Most cars Check these items. Plus it has wheels alignment in each service

Attached Files:

18. P85Dave

P85Dave Member

You are justified in thinking the service costs are exorbitant because they are. EVs are supposed to cost less to maintain because they have far fewer components but over a 4 year period the Tesla cost more to maintain than some premium ICE vehicles we have owned in the past.

The only reason we suck it up and pay is because the ESA validity is contingent on serving the car regularly.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

There is no 'Tune up'. They are not tuning anything. They are doing a few very minor things, and 'inspecting' a handful of things. Mostly they are plugging in the computer and seeing if there are any errors.

The short answer to why Tesla charges so much is because they can. There is no other option for where to get your Tesla serviced.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  20. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Yeah... I haven't done any of these in 60,000 miles. Don't plan to either.
    I'll swap the drive fluid and maybe the brake fluid at 100k if I get around to it.

My biggest EV expense? Rear tires...

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1