Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st annual check up fee? $450??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally skip it. I can rotate tires and change my own key fob batteries, cabin air filters, and wiper blades for a lot less. You still get full warranty on the car as well (service center has never once said a thing about me not doing it while getting a warranty repair). The only one I don't plan to skip is the 4 year one as that includes a coolant flush which I'm not sure how to do on my own at this time.

It's more expensive than my Benz was...but why should it even be on par with ICEs and all their moving parts? It was billed as being simpler, not on par.
Moving parts or not, the labor cost to perform it at the dealers don't change. To hire a mechanic to perform these tasks, their paid in par to the industry through a market survey. Just like a programmer. An annual tune up checks mostly the same thing.

Moving parts or not, the labor cost to perform it at the dealers don't change. To hire a mechanic to perform these tasks, their paid in par to the industry through a market survey. Just like a programmer. An annual tune up checks mostly the same thing.

First, the labor rate at $175/hr is higher than my Benz dealer ($125/hr).

Second, why is it the same number of "tasks" if the car is so much easier to maintain with its fewer moving parts? They're not the same A and B services for Benzes include oil changes. And did I mention they were significantly cheaper?

Even if you want to say the EV specific services even out the ICE services, then stop billing it as being easier to maintain. It's "on par"

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and David29
F0DE5856-6017-4530-990F-895DB1D75E31.png
It's the same tasks.

Most cars Check these items. Plus it has wheels alignment in each service

Attachments

• 44F357C9-FB70-4B13-9DA5-C81D60EB0778.png
    44F357C9-FB70-4B13-9DA5-C81D60EB0778.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi all. My Model S is about to go through its first annual check up. My buddy went to a service center and he said they charged him $400 something dollars. Is that correct? I thought it is covered or am I wrong.

You are justified in thinking the service costs are exorbitant because they are. EVs are supposed to cost less to maintain because they have far fewer components but over a 4 year period the Tesla cost more to maintain than some premium ICE vehicles we have owned in the past.

The only reason we suck it up and pay is because the ESA validity is contingent on serving the car regularly.

They have minor and major tune up schedule.
There is no 'Tune up'. They are not tuning anything. They are doing a few very minor things, and 'inspecting' a handful of things. Mostly they are plugging in the computer and seeing if there are any errors.

The short answer to why Tesla charges so much is because they can. There is no other option for where to get your Tesla serviced.