Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Easter Egg, 2nd Financing, 3rd Service, 4th and 5th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
highedu, sort of does seem the loaner p85s were the service announcement... he'd said the announcement would be next week.

On other announcements, I think it's more likely last two announcements spread over the three coming weeks including this one (just want to keep expectations from leading to disappointment, not to be a stickler).

soon after we get earnings call where there's an hour or so of Elon Q&A usually with some nice tidbits.

I was under the impression there would be a couple weeks in between service and SC. I also suspect there would be more to the "service" end of the announcement as well. Either way, shouldn't be long now.

What's the 1st Easter egg?

I believe it was that all 60kwh cars had SC hardware.

My bet is the hard drive that holds 75K songs will be one of the announcements!

While I could see the harddrive becoming accessible being one of the announcements, I doubt that they would say something like that as the amount of songs held varies by the size of the file. Though, with the recent "leasing" language, I guess they could say something crazy and add a disclaimer *If files are 1 second, 1kb audio files.

I think the correct use of the "easter egg" term in this context would be a hidden feature in the car, usually with entertainment intent.

Gizmodo has a nice visual history of software easter eggs for examples including one on the Tesla Model X.
A Brief History of Easter Eggs in Tech

Tesla specifically used the term "Easter egg" when referring to the 60 kWh supercharging hardware here:

Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Of course, that press release was issued on Easter.

I wouldn't call these "easter eggs" in any sense. The series of recent announcements began with profitability for Q1.

+1!

Q1 profitability. Good egg

I think the correct use of the "easter egg" term in this context would be a hidden feature in the car, usually with entertainment intent.

Gizmodo has a nice visual history of software easter eggs for examples including one on the Tesla Model X.
A Brief History of Easter Eggs in Tech

Most of the above being true, their own press release called the SC hardware an easter egg:

Tesla is also revealing a small Easter egg today: all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. Tesla is taking a slight cost risk that ultimately all customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Even for those that never drive long distances, this will improve the resale value of their car to people that do.

Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Most of the above being true, their own press release called the SC hardware an Easter egg

It fits the mold well enough, as a hidden surprise already present in vehicles delivered to customers. Quarterly sales results, P85 service loaners, lease programs, and the presumed new Supercharger locations announcement do not. The fifth announcement is more of a mystery and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it consists of new functionality hidden in 4.4 until the announcement date. Perhaps we will get an Easter egg after all.

One would have thought that Tesla would have made the presumed supercharging announcement today on Earth Day. Or at least some announcement to coincide with more press coverage today. In my company's parking lot, we are showing off a bunch of EVs to commemorate Earth Day.

Edit: Oops, Earth Day is actually this coming Monday. My office just celebrated it a few days early (ala Earth Week and not Day). So perhaps Tesla really is going to make the next announcement on April 22.

Last edited:
It fits the mold well enough, as a hidden surprise already present in vehicles delivered to customers. Quarterly sales results, P85 service loaners, lease programs, and the presumed new Supercharger locations announcement do not. The fifth announcement is more of a mystery and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it consists of new functionality hidden in 4.4 until the announcement date. Perhaps we will get an Easter egg after all.

This was my guess as well. 4.4 is being pushed out to enable new functionality. A single bit flip on an endpoint somewhere could enable it. My guess is either the hard drive or wifi.

I'll be disappointed is the surprise is wifi or the hard drive as both of those were promised when we bought the car and not really a surprise. Should be functionality we did not expect.

This was my feeling with the lease announcement. Why should it be a big surprise when they promised leasing anyway? Oh, because it's a pseudo-lease. We're going to get Pseudo-fi :)