Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real bummer is that every single home and business have plenty of room on their roofs. Instead of building a solar farm, just install locally right where the energy is going to be consumed. Unfortunately there is way too much money to be made by keeping the energy production centralized.

That makes sense in a cost of parts perspective and esp since the cost of surface is free. However, the reverse is true when you add in cost of installation/maintenance. I see rooftop retail solar coming in at about 11 cents a KWh (factoring in 6% interest over 20 years with 1 replacement inverter at the 10 year mark). Utility solar is coming in at 1-2 cents a KWh on bids!!!

I’m at .28 per kWh that’s generation and transmission too here in MA. .38 seems high.
$.38 is Tier 2. In Nov/Dec, my electricity was about 1/3 Tier 1 and 2/3 tier 2. Any car charging is above normal daily use, so I see it as Tier 2 - just like you look at tax on additional income. House is big - so tier 2 electricity is only in colder months, when gas heat is used more than anything. Warmer months will go to Tier 3 or Tier 4.

I’m not complaining ... would just rather give that money to anyone other than PG&E!

Reactions: hcdavis3 and KJD
$.38 is Tier 2. In Nov/Dec, my electricity was about 1/3 Tier 1 and 2/3 tier 2. Any car charging is above normal daily use, so I see it as Tier 2 - just like you look at tax on additional income. House is big - so tier 2 electricity is only in colder months, when gas heat is used more than anything. Warmer months will go to Tier 3 or Tier 4.

I’m not complaining ... would just rather give that money to anyone other than PG&E!

38 cents is more than 27 cents. Get enough solar + powerwall to make sure you never go into Tier 2 in the winter and never into Tier 3 and 4 in the summer. Make sure you have the Powerwall set for Island mode so it will also give you backup power when PG&E shuts off power.

Reactions: KJD
I found https://www.smud.org/-/media/Docume...d-Business-Rate-information/PDFs/1-R-TOD.ashx which looks similar to what you describe. However, for Jan 1 to May 31 it's 15.37 cents/kWh during peak and the 8.885 cents/kWh during off-peak, as you describe. But, it looks like you also have a $21.05/month fixed charge, in addition. We don't have that in PG&E-land for residential.

Also, your summer off-peak is just as cheap as you describe but the rates during the rest of the day are either 15.37 or 38.43 cents/kwh. And, all times of year, you have a monthly fixed charge of $21.05 to $21.70.

I don’t mind the $21.05 fixed charge since we in SMUD land have had zero emergency blackouts compared to the extensive blackouts in PG&E areas all around us this fall.

38 cents is more than 27 cents. Get enough solar + powerwall to make sure you never go into Tier 2 in the winter and never into Tier 3 and 4 in the summer. Make sure you have the Powerwall set for Island mode so it will also give you backup power when PG&E shuts off power.

Working on it. Tesla (and many other companies) will not install panels on ceramic tile roofs - i.e. - here. Consumption is such that will need 4-5 Powerwalls. At the time of the blackouts last fall, consumption averaged 40-60 kwh/day. Peak Summer consumption is 90-95 kwh/day.

Used to high utility bills - but can’t tolerate PG&E stupid blackouts.

Also have lots of code to wade through re: Powerwall install regs - especially with that many Powerwalls.

Working on it. Tesla (and many other companies) will not install panels on ceramic tile roofs - i.e. - here. Consumption is such that will need 4-5 Powerwalls. At the time of the blackouts last fall, consumption averaged 40-60 kwh/day. Peak Summer consumption is 90-95 kwh/day.

Used to high utility bills - but can’t tolerate PG&E stupid blackouts.

Also have lots of code to wade through re: Powerwall install regs - especially with that many Powerwalls.

The statement about ceramic tile roof is very strange. Tile roofing are the majority in the SW, at least in Nevada. And two of my co-workers have roof top solar. One installed by Solar City (now Tesla) and another by a diff company. As far as I know, Tesla is still installing roof top solar here.

I don't know where they get those numbers. From my current PG&E bill --- $.29/kwh (Tier 2) for transmission plus $08.7/kwh generation. Those are winter rates. Summer is way over $.50 at tier 2. My Model 3 could put us into Tier 3. If we lived in a condo it would be different, but we don't.

Of course the power has to be on for those charges!:)

Check out the PG&E EV2-A rate. It's non tiered and applies to your whole hose. If you charge at night, the rate is around 17 cents per kWh

Making sense of the rates

If you can add solar to your house, you can save more.

Making blanket statements about is all saving is willful ignorance at best.
You are still saving money. I challenge you to show that you aren't.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to roughly estimate what your EV added to your bill.

Sense has yet to detect my Model 3, Model X or Volt after a year. Not sure why but it’s a common complaint on the Sense forum. I keep meaning to add a dedicated monitor to my EV charging circuit(s).
It took a good 8 months or so for it to find mine. Sense is odd in that way. It will sometimes find a small aquarium heater buried behind a giant surge protector with several other gadgets but not find things on a dedicated or nearly dedicated circuit.

I think the keyword to add is "some". Many people, no matter their income level, are realizing that we need to transition the world to solar / wind / hydro power. If you add sufficient solar / wind power systems to your house, you can charge your Tesla for free!
I didn't clearly communicate my thinking. I felt like the person whose post I was quoting was making the "all rich people are evil" claim which I get sick of. Yes, a number of "them" are, but so are some people in ALL economic brackets.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The statement about ceramic tile roof is very strange. Tile roofing are the majority in the SW, at least in Nevada. And two of my co-workers have roof top solar. One installed by Solar City (now Tesla) and another by a diff company. As far as I know, Tesla is still installing roof top solar here.

What can I say, two people at Tesla told me no. Its not that big a deal as I’d prefer someone who wants to do a careful job. The house in 15 years into a 90 year roof. The tiles are not made any more and next to impossible to find. Someone trashes too many tiles and I have to replace the roof at a cost of about $80,000.
The tiles aren’t the standard terra cotta like they make pots out of. Every house on this street has different color/shaped tiles.

In general its a big project with a fair number of panels with delicate roof tiles - and a LOT of battery storage. I have been told that Tesla is best for battery packs, but their Solar city panels aren’t anything special.

You are still saving money. I challenge you to show that you aren't.

I said I am not saving in winter.
I took a screen shot of miles remaining tonight. Car is not plugged in so all the cabin heating will be from the pack in the morning. Will post again tomorrow miles traveled vs consumed, dash energy use tells only part of the story.
Today and most days morning preheat is from shore power and with mild temps high 20s today my 30mile average over the last few days was 525wh/m start letting all the preheating show up and then add pack heating, then make it actually cold these numbers get out of control fast.
This year is warm typically at least one week of January is highs in the single digits.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mswlogo
I didn't clearly communicate my thinking. I felt like the person whose post I was quoting was making the "all rich people are evil" claim which I get sick of. Yes, a number of "them" are, but so are some people in ALL economic brackets.

Well I wasn't. Some people are just overly sensitive. Pretty sure I was saying why there is no wind and solar where I live.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3