Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think it was you that mentioned that your utilities use gas to generate electricity. They use NG of course which is very different than "gas" which most people use to mean gasoline. Shockingly different products.
The wholesale cost of electricity runs between 2-4 cents a kwh. There has to be profit and distribution costs but anything over 15 cents at the retail level is either to encourage conservation, poor decision making on peak issues, or excessive local costs/taxes. In CA - all of these are issues. LI - probably all except encouraging conservation.
I lived near Shoreham (PJ) as a child/teen. It was finished about 30 years ago and you are still paying for it? My single mom (and where she met her second husband) worked there so thanks for paying for my upbringing.

Strange how there are so many people from LI who live down here now.... Most of the time, I can get to Manhattan just as fast as you can.

Long island is in fact using gas for electric. We have small jet engine power plants scattered around Suffolk county with giant fuel tanks. My father-in-law works on them. There is even two in shoream. They never opened the nuke plant but they connected the jet engines to the power grid using the plants switch. They also ran an underwater cable to Connecticut from there. So the nuke plant is closed but still connected with power from jet engines and it's plugged into a nuke plant something like 15 miles away across the sound in Connecticut. Meanwhile they never opened it because of fear of a meltdown.

My morning commute to Manhattan is 2hrs. Home is 2.5hrs. It's horrible. The train ticket is $500 a month and that doesn't even always get you a seat.

The people here ruined long island and we are all trying to flee now.

Sure, but they kill you outside of the those cheap times with 33.7 to 48.1 cents/kWh depending on season and time of day.

Others can look at pages 2 and 3 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf.

Ouch!
Got my first bill yesterday since purchasing my Model 3. So far, I'm happy :)

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.31.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.31.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 9.31.53 PM.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 41
Here's what Pacific Gouge & Extort looks like for my most recent bill, in comparison to turns2stone where electricity is super cheap. There's a separate portion for generation because my city has its own energy program that's supposedly 1% cheaper than PG&E. But, I also opt into supposedly 100% renewable energy, which adds 1 cent/kWh. Without this city's program and w/o the 100% renewable energy choice, my bill would be almost the same.

So, my electricity portion was $68.49 for 306.443 kWh or about 22.3 cents/kWh, on average. I believe I charged an EV maybe once a bit or 0 times during this billing period.

Turns2stone used more than triple what I did (over 1019 kWh) and paid barely more than me. His bill would be enormous in Pocket Graft & Extort.

Fortunately, I didn't pass tier 1. If did, each (marginal) kWh past 342.4 for this 32 day billing period would be about 29 to 31 cents/kWh (page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf).

pge1.png
pge2.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DR61
As renewables continue to kick fossil fuel's a** and still continue to get cheaper, the reality is that we will likely be seeing flat rate electricity... just a flat monthly subscription fee plus surcharge for peak usage...

Renewables are now cheaper than the operating cost of a coal plant. That was the last argument left for fossil fuel... "coal is so cheap, renewables will just cause our power price to increase"

Renewable Energy Prices Hit Record Lows: How Can Utilities Benefit From Unstoppable Solar And Wind?

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
Wow a $27 electric bill!?#$&

Mine is $300.... Sometimes.
Not $27 but $68.49.

In addition to being expensive, California statements are hard to figure out.
Correct. P3d, if you were talking about me I wish mine was $27. It was $68.49 for ~306.4 kWh.

Out of curiosity, how many kWh were used on your $300 electric bills? If you're in a cheap electricity state, then I bet you it'd be way more than $300 on my utility.

Correct. P3d, if you were talking about me I wish mine was $27. It was $68.49 for ~306.4 kWh.

Out of curiosity, how many kWh were used on your $300 electric bills? If you're in a cheap electricity state, then I bet you it'd be way more than $300 on my utility.

I don't know I have to look that up. My electric is somewhere between .20 and .27.. I live in a two bedroom townhome so it's not like I'm using a lot. We hit $300 in summer (central ac). Im in Suffolk county NY and I'd bet we have some of the most expensive utilities rates around. Even if you have solar they will charge you because you have solar here. It's a mess.

I don't know I have to look that up. My electric is somewhere between .20 and .27.. I live in a two bedroom townhome so it's not like I'm using a lot. We hit $300 in summer (central ac). Im in Suffolk county NY and I'd bet we have some of the most expensive utilities rates around. Even if you have solar they will charge you because you have solar here. It's a mess.
Are you charging daily?

So what was everyone's experience when it comes to looking at your Electricity bill the first month?

I purchased my Tesla on 12/17 and just got my first electricity bill and I have to admit I'm a little shocked. No pun intended.

My previous bill I used 657 kwh and was charged $106.07. My current months bill in which i charged for only 19/33 days of the billing cycle. I used 1452 kwh and was charged $236.99. My work only has a level 1 charger so I don't use it as often as I should. I have also super charged 2-3 times and only drove the car for about 950 miles during that time frame.

Does this sound right or does something not make sense? I know I wouldn't have spent $130 in gas for 950 miles.

Hey there- relatively new Tesla owner here. I was wondering the same because my landlord blamed me for the increased energy expenditure (utilities are included in rent). To disprove our sudden $120 increase in electric, I created a spreadsheet to resolve the issue and prove that my car is not to blame. I pray it really isn't though because I only used to spend $60/ month on gas. Feel free to check out and/or my blank spreadsheet on google sheets. I would LOVE feedback to help make it more accurate.
Shareable EV Charger Log