Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my cost went up about 50 dollars a month from last year....i drive about 70 miles a week....to the gym and back....so, about 300 miles a month on average. not what i was expecting, to be honest.
Is your rate 55 cents/kWh (that would be comparable to the highest marginal rates in the country), or do you just use Sentry mode all the time or something?

That's way high. For 300 miles per month, at very low rates it would be about $10/mo, and for more moderate rates would be $20/month. If you use Sentry mode it's like burning a 150W bulb all the time which is 110kWh per month (and that will add up for moderate electric rates...).

Does not compute. Something is wrong. If your marginal rate is 55 cents/kWh might be worth looking into an EV plan, though it is possible to get in a bind (especially in California) if you use a lot of AC - and it ends up costing quite a lot, especially without solar.

But in Louisiana? No idea of the rates.

seems pretty cheap in monroe, LA

So a mere $50/$0.08/kWh = 600kWh extra per month for 300 miles per month. 2000Wh/mi. Must be a new record. Even Sentry on all the time would add up to only a 400Wh/mi baseline adder, at 300 mi per month.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Gasaraki
my cost went up about 50 dollars a month from last year....i drive about 70 miles a week....to the gym and back....so, about 300 miles a month on average. not what i was expecting, to be honest.
Are you by chance comparing to your previous month’s bill? If so, there are way too many variables in month-to-month. You really need to compare to the same month a year ago or to seasonal averages.

My mileage and usage is similar to yours and my cost increase is so minor it is only noise on my bills.

I just checked my bills from March, April, May 2020 and compared to the same three months in 2021.

On average, I'm paying $20 less a month than before. Granted I am a light user and only have about 1500 miles on my car.

Seems temperature has a much larger impact on my bill than the Tesla does.

Tim

I just checked my bills from March, April, May 2020 and compared to the same three months in 2021.

On average, I'm paying $20 less a month than before. Granted I am a light user and only have about 1500 miles on my car.

Seems temperature has a much larger impact on my bill than the Tesla does.

Tim

Wow, you're really MAKING money with your Tesla, not scientifically confirmed, of course. LOL

Reactions: TBrownTX
There are SO many variables from month to month. Long-term data is needed to properly calculate the impact.

I also like to tell people if they're flipping out about their home electricity bill to NOT charge at home during the next billing cycle and see what happens(assuming the climate remains relatively similar).

Last edited:
GA here and using super off peek hours from 12 to 6 am with free 400kWh and afterwards 0.045 cent rate charging two Tesla’s and having a pool pump running our May bill was 93 dollars total. I have no clue how people are paying 50 cent rates and think it’s normal. I would wave that state good bye in the heart beat unless you are millionaire and could careless.

Reactions: dbmet
I didn't read through all the responses .. but our power company (Southern Company) has a rider you can get if you own an EV and charge between midnight and 6:00am, I think it's about a 30% discount during those hours. Something to check with your power company.

Our monthly power bill went up about $45 for two Teslas. Our gasoline bill went to zero :D

EV-TOU rate has the added benefit of saving me money on running my HVAC 10pm-8am!
My summer on-peak is M-F 1PM-7PM... I pre-cool my house by 10 degrees before 1pm and HVAC does not run until 8pm or later. My annual average rate per KWh is 7 cents. :)

EV rate is REVRR
1623766513443.png

Reactions: Rocky_H
GA here and using super off peek hours from 12 to 6 am with free 400kWh and afterwards 0.045 cent rate charging two Tesla’s and having a pool pump running our May bill was 93 dollars total. I have no clue how people are paying 50 cent rates and think it’s normal. I would wave that state good bye in the heart beat unless you are millionaire and could careless.

Wow, 400KWh is a lot of free juice. Figuring 4 miles per Kwh, that's 1600 free miles a month! Very nice!

Now if you pump the pool water to a water tower then run it back down to the pool during peak, you can generate some power to offset peak usage! LOL

All else being equal, electricity costs about a fourth to half what gas costs to power your car. If you're going to complain about how much your electricity bill is, let's hear what you used to be paying for gas. Obviously your electricity bill will go up, but that's not the point. Electricity is cheaper per unit of power (they use electricity to pump gas from well to your car, too) and cleaner, usually made from Natural Gas, or in my case, solar panels.

All else being equal, electricity costs about a fourth to half what gas costs to power your car. If you're going to complain about how much your electricity bill is, let's hear what you used to be paying for gas. Obviously your electricity bill will go up, but that's not the point. Electricity is cheaper per unit of power (they use electricity to pump gas from well to your car, too) and cleaner, usually made from Natural Gas, or in my case, solar panels.

In LV, 1/8 or even ess.

Got our 1st electricity bill after a full month of using the NEMA 14-30. We top up 5-6 days per week to 80%. Compared to the same time period last year, June 17 - July 17, our Dominion Energy bill went up $52 for 450kWh. The Off-Peak plan looks like it would save $ during Summer and maybe a little less during Winter.

Edit:
Using May as an example, we paid approximately $195 to gas up our since-sold ICE car.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I wonder what is the theoretical break-even for an ICE car vs a EV. Because California will probably approach it in the next few years if their ~20% rate increase goes in on top of the other increases they'll probably impose for the helluvit over the next few years.

Like if electricity hits $0.70 per kWh, does that kind of wash out as equivalent to 300 miles on gasoline? A reasonably economical 4 cylinder sedan getting 25mpg vs an EV with a 300 mile range on 75 kWh?