TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1st-gen Grey and Tan seats are GONE

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MartinAustin, Oct 29, 2015.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Not sure if this has been posted, but the seats have now been streamlined in the Design Store.

1) Textile has now been renamed "Multipattern" (are they trying to say it's not textile or cloth?)
    2) Black 1st-Gen Leather is available
    3) Black 2nd-Gen leather is available
    4) Grey 2nd-Gen leather is available
    5) Tan 2nd-Gen leather is available

So, the initial style of leather for grey and tan is no longer available.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Been posted, I posted that thankfully I got my seats when I did (didn't like the next gens).

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Curious why you didn't like the Nexgen's. For me they were a huge improvement in comfort from the regular leather/legacy seats.

4. Max*

I'm skinny and tall (160lbs, 6'1"), and the side bolsters were too tight/warm for my comforts during the test drive. I can imagine getting tired of them during our 500mile trips (family lives far away). They look cool, but I don't like how they felt.

I also don't come from performance cars, nor do I drive like crazy [two young kids often in the car], so I don't need the extra support. I've never been "thrown around" like other posters have commented about the regular bolsters.

I don't remember if my wife sat in them and didn't like them, or saw them in the showroom and didn't like them, but she didn't like them either...

If I had to chose today between getting black non-nextgen or tan nextgen, I'd go for the tan nextgens. But if I had a choice of tan "regular" that'd be my preference.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Gotcha. All you had to say was "my wife didn't like them" and I would have understood completely. [emoji6]

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Non-adjustable side bolsters. Period!

7. Max*

You know what, that would have likely changed things for me. I like the way they look, but they weren't comfortable.

And I could've gotten around the wife not liking it factor ;)

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

Tesla might as well have used my fat ass as their model because it fits me like a glove. [emoji51]

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It's the truth. Every time I've read about people not liking them, it's because the bolsters didn't "sit right" with them. If those were adjustable like lumbar support is, then I think it would have enough range to be comfortable for a wide range of individuals. Those who can use it comfortably now are not in a minority, but let's say 70% prefer it now vs. 95% could (random numbers I made up to illustrate the point).

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes that change was posted about a few weeks ago.

11. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

My 25yr old supra has electronic adjustable side bolsters.....

12. liuping

liuping Active Member

My wife loves the Nexgen seats. She absolutely hates the first gen seats. She complained about them every time we went on a long trip.

That was one of the things that helped me convince her we need to upgrade to a 90D :)

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I actually do like the originals. I don't slide around at all. But I'm the one holding the wheel, knowing what's coming up next. Screw the passengers sliding all over the place!:biggrin:

But I like the next gens a lot too. If they offered them when I bought, I would have gotten them. But I'm not willing to shell out the cashola for a retrofit.