Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Gen Superchagers Materially Slower Than Newer SC's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SCing now on the "classic" SCs with 60kw being the peak. Arrived here (Waco) with 6% left, weather conditions are moderate (73), and the car is a software limited S60.

Yesterday the charge topped out around 96kw at the brand new Flatonia SC and the conditions were similar.

Do others find the "classic" SCs to be slower than the new ones or is it just me?

Don't forget that the S60 has lower voltage than the 85/90/100. The older superchargers (square-ish metal pedestal instead of the nice, lighted plastic and metal ones) were limited to 90kW but It could be possible that this was because of current limits (amps). With lower voltage (because of the 75 kWh pack) and lower current (old supercharger) you'll end up with a bigger penalty.

Does it explain the difference, maybe not but I think that would be a good avenue for further investigation. Too bad that the car doesn't show Volts and Amps now when supercharging....

Data from a recent road trip per TeslaFi logs:

Waco SC - Older Design
~5m SuperCharging at 92-97kw; 7:53am - 7:58am; the GREEN bar on the graph tracks this.
Waco SC.png

Huntsville SC - Older Design
~10m SuperCharging at 92-97kw; 10:35pm - 10:45pm; the GREEN bar on the graph tracks this.
Huntsville SC.png

Denton / Razor Ranch SC - Newer Design
~9m SuperCharging at 92-97kw; 10:29am - 10:38am; the GREEN bar on the graph tracks this.
Denton SC.png

Arlington SC - Newer Design (brand new - just opened the week prior!)
~7m SuperCharging at 92-97kw; 6:34pm - and 6:41pm; the GREEN bar on the graph tracks this.
Arlington SC.png

Amarillo SC - Newer Design
~8m SuperCharging at 92-97kw; 10:36am - and 10:44am; the GREEN bar on the graph tracks this.
Amarillo SC.png

So after looking at my data the weak link appears to be the Waco SC (?)

All other SCs, both the new type and old, were able to deliver longer periods of max charging. In my case this equated to 7-10m of charging at 92-97kw and then tapering off as expected.