Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st hand wash today and here is what I found..MAD!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To find the flaws in my Y I used the following after my hand wash:
1. Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Digital caliper
2. Craftsman LED Super bright light.

1. I found my doors are about 1mm off perfect alignment.
2. Found my rear hatch is 4mm favored on the left side which means it was not exactly centered.
3. Found 2 paint nibs on lower front bumper cover.
4. My frunk takes .63 pounds of force to get it to latch.
5. A spot on the fron A pillar where there is some sort of strange paint swirl under the clear coat the size of a quarter. Can only be seen with Super bright LED light.
6. Found a slight dent on the passenger A pillar the size of a pencil eraser.

OK..I am not really mad. In fact I am poking a little fun at some of the comments I read on here about people complaining that Teslas have poor QC. They are no better or worse than any other brand I have owned including Mercedes and BMW. I never expect a cat to be flawless but thats a personal thing. I do know some folks have really bad issues and I get that they would return or not take delivery. I would do the same if it was as bad as some of the posts. But I can say I am happy with my Y and its flaws and instead of stewing about it, I am going to drive fast and enjoy the Y!

Last edited:
I feel you on that... all of my cars have had imperfection in them... now I have my hard limits just like some people on here. but out model Y was damn near perfect outside of 2 small paint chips. and I mean small. one on the back behind the wheel and its small... I saw like the 3rd day we had it, and another on on the passenger side, brake duct. thats it... all of our panel lined up.... I think if more people actually looked hard enough at other brands they will see that ALL of them have issues with this... hell my women next door brand new CRV hatch has about 2-4inch gap between the hatch and the tail light. lol and they pump a hell of a lot of crv out hahaha

OK..I am not really mad. In fact I am poking a little fun at some of the comments I read on here about people complaining that Teslas have poor QC. They are no better or worse than any other brand I have owned including Mercedes and BMW. I never expect a cat to be flawless but thats a personal thing. I do know some folks have really bad issues and I get that they would return or not take delivery. I would do the same if it was as bad as some of the posts. But I can say I am happy with my Y and its flaws and instead of stewing about it, I am going to drive fast and enjoy the Y!

Sorry - but this is a joke - right? Quality of assembly, paint, trim, panel alignment, interior, etc. - is the same as every other car out there? No chance. Nope.

From what I’ve gathered, Tesla’s overall build quality has improved.

2 more data points - (1) just saw an article today higlighting quality issues in the new mid-engine Corvette. 1 pic showed the decorative thread lines on the dash were wavy - yes they did not go in a straight line. Article mentioned that Chevrolet was very responsive in addressing. (2) We bought a Macan S in early Jan for my wife (needed SUV right away, am not an X fan). Drove it home on Sat, and then to wrap place the following Tues. While dropping off, noticed small dent above driver’s side door handle. No way that happened during our short ownership. Wrap guy had his paintless dent removal guy fix it. In late Feb, wife went to open rear door on passenger side and door handle popped off. This was a Saturday. Drove to Porsche and they fixed it while we waited. They were embarrassed and apologetic. Bottomline, quality issues occur on all cars.

One more irony, the guy we bought the Macan S from is the same guy I bought my last S from. I told him that the door handle popping off was amusing given some of the fit issues Tesla had in the past...

To find the flaws in my Y I used the following after my hand wash:
1. Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Digital caliper
2. Craftsman LED Super bright light.

1. I found my doors are about 1mm off perfect alignment.
2. Found my rear hatch is 4mm favored on the left side which means it was not exactly centered.
3. Found 2 paint nibs on lower front bumper cover.
4. My frunk takes .63 pounds of force to get it to latch.
5. A spot on the fron A pillar where there is some sort of strange paint swirl under the clear coat the size of a quarter. Can only be seen with Super bright LED light.
6. Found a slight dent on the passenger A pillar the size of a pencil eraser.

agreed -- here is 4 mm....-> --

• Funny
Reactions: JøhP
I remember buying my first new car, and went over it like I was the final quality control freak for the company.
The salesman just listened and asked if I wanted it or not. I was fuming and couldn't believe they wouldn't correct everything on my list. I was tempted to walk away, but then my wife reminded me nothing in life is perfect, flaws give it character, she brought up how happy I was driving it and I let all the panel gaps, a small scratch and a bunch of little things go.
Funny thing is, within a couple months of taking delivery, actually during the Superbowl we had a big wind storm which caused my portable basketball hoop to fall on the front end, fender, windshield and roof! I say these imperfections can be aggravating, but they truly don't matter. Congratulations on your new Y LasVegas2019 in Orlando!

Reactions: LasVegas2019