Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st long distance trip 2020 MX LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at doing our first long range trip with our new MX LR and just wondering just "how bad will it really be"? We'll be going from Denver to Merced CA through Las Vegas. I've been switching between ABR and Google maps to get an idea, but since we've never done this I'm pretty unsure about the whole experience.

With the colder temps I know I'm going to have to stop more but just seems like the trip is dotted with 15 min charge stops. I will admit that when ever I've done long road trips I'm the "we've got road to conquer" mind set, so a full tank to empty tank run was always the goal. I'll be with my family (wife, 3yr old and a 3 month old) so the stops will be good to allow the 3 yr old out, but I'm somewhat worried my wife will be more of the problem with all the stops. She's already asked if we can take our her car (Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) over the MX.

How much will running the heater at 70-72 eat into the charge? A lot of the temps through the mountains and Utah will be in the 30s, I know keeping it off will help range but I'm NOT a fan of wearing a coat in the car, I don't mind putting on a hoodie but I don't really want to tell me wife "put our daughters light coat on her so she doesn't get cold" as that will just be fuel for the fire.

Thanks in advance!

• Funny
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I used ABRP and set the temp down to 0, the speed to 90 mph and the charger arrive at 20%. It still routed me.
The longest segment was 126 miles from Price to Richfield UT. I'm pretty sure that your car can make that segment.

So, standard road trip suggestions.

Plan all breaks around Supercharger stops. Don't stop, unless there's a Supercharger there. Meals are a big one. Why waste an hour eating when you could be eating and charging?
Don't worry about the car temp, set it to make your passengers happy.

• Know the chargers along your route. Aside from routing to your destination, you may want to route to specific Superchargers. While the car will make suggestions, you may find that you really don't need to charge that often and can skip some stops.
  • Watch the Energy graph to see what your real estimate of battery range is.
  • Charging from 10-60% is much faster than 40-90%. i.e. the emptier the battery the better (and hence why it is better to sometimes skip chargers)
  • Have a 12V USB charger that you can plug into the accessory plug to charge the myriad of devices you probably have. I use Anker chargers, they provide much faster charging than the Tesla USB connectors.
  • Keep the AC on auto and just adjust the temperature
With good coordination of stops and charging, I've been able to spend less than 15 minutes on a 500 mile trip charging (the remaining charging was done as we were eating)

Looks to be an easy trip, enjoy!

We went on a road trip a few summers ago from IN to SC in our old MX 90d. On the way there, I made the mistake of trying to charge to 100%, for the first few stops, so that I could skip stops and try to limit the amount of times that I had to charge. What I realized was that with the AC going (kids in the car), luggage, etc. the margin of error for making it to the next charger was very thin, so I ended up stopping at the ones I wanted to skip. That added a few unnecessary hours to the trip.

On the way back, I stopped at every charger that was on our way and charged enough to get us to the next charger with at least 15% left on the battery. That usually would take 10-20 minutes and the drive home seemed to go faster/smoother with this method. With your route, you might run into enough superchargers were stopping at each one is probably not a requirement and your range should be significantly better than ours.

I will say though that stopping every 2-2.5 hours was a nice change of pace...I actually enjoyed the "forced breaks" that charging makes you take.

-Michael

@micjh18 Ya know I knew about the charging at lower but didn't really dig into the "times" I was just changed my arrive SOC and noticed the trip time lowered. Case in point, it has me charge at Glenwood Springs for 46 mins then drive to Green River UT, OR charge 15 mins in Glenwood Springs and 22 mins in Grand Junction then onto Green River. 9 mins isn't much BUT added up over 2 days of driving could add a bunch of time.

Its all in the details, so thinking I'll "sell" it to the wife that "we can drive how we normally would in our ICE, but we'll just stop a little more often to stretch our legs and let the little monster out" She seems pretty open to that currently, but we'll see on the road.

I think after your first long-distance trip, you'll realize how it's really not a big deal at all. My first time, I was all jacked up with BRP & trying to make sure everything was all-good. Now I just get in & go, mindful, of course, of where the superchargers are along my route.

Here are a few of my observations from my long-distance travel:

The heater, and especially the air conditioner, don't seem to eat up enough energy to make it worth trying to kill yourself to extend your range. Make yourself comfortable (within reason). In my experience, the temperature and the wind play a much greater role on how far I can go between stops. I'm attaching a plot of my Model X 100D's efficiency vs temperature. There's no real workaround to the hit you'll take if the temp is low. I was below 50% efficiency for a 55 mile drive during the polar vortex last year, hitting a minimum temp of -25°F on the car's thermometer.
Efficiency vs Temp.png

Also, for what it's worth, Tesla's nav/charging system is quite conservative, suggesting you charge past the point where you've got enough battery to make it to the next stop and continue on charging until you'll make it with roughly a 20% cushion. For your first long trip, that might be just fine, but as you get used to long trips, you can reduce that cushion and spend less time charging. Although, if you go grab a bite to eat, it might be a moot point.

One more thing, in my experience after 10 or 15 minutes of driving, the car does a very good job of estimating how much battery you'll have left when you get to your destination. If something changes, a stiff headwind develops for example, it will obviously change as you drive. But, if it's relatively steady-state with no changes, you can feel very confident in the car's prediction.

Hope this is somewhat useful. Enjoy your trip!

I think after your first long-distance trip, you'll realize how it's really not a big deal at all. My first time, I was all jacked up with BRP & trying to make sure everything was all-good. Now I just get in & go, mindful, of course, of where the superchargers are along my route.

Yep, my only check these days is "Can it be done" which is a quick question to the car.
I'll also look at charging options at the end, so I can try to get in with some running around charge.

Reactions: Tac0Meat
What I discovered on my first drive in cooler weather, about 40F is that a cloudless day switched my car from heating to AC in a short time. All that glass with sun can reduce the heating very nicely. Check your weather for the trip. We had rain on the way there and it was less of drag that I worried about.

Looking at doing our first long range trip with our new MX LR and just wondering just "how bad will it really be"? We'll be going from Denver to Merced CA through Las Vegas. I've been switching between ABR and Google maps to get an idea, but since we've never done this I'm pretty unsure about the whole experience.

With the colder temps I know I'm going to have to stop more but just seems like the trip is dotted with 15 min charge stops. I will admit that when ever I've done long road trips I'm the "we've got road to conquer" mind set, so a full tank to empty tank run was always the goal. I'll be with my family (wife, 3yr old and a 3 month old) so the stops will be good to allow the 3 yr old out, but I'm somewhat worried my wife will be more of the problem with all the stops. She's already asked if we can take our her car (Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) over the MX.

How much will running the heater at 70-72 eat into the charge? A lot of the temps through the mountains and Utah will be in the 30s, I know keeping it off will help range but I'm NOT a fan of wearing a coat in the car, I don't mind putting on a hoodie but I don't really want to tell me wife "put our daughters light coat on her so she doesn't get cold" as that will just be fuel for the fire.

Thanks in advance!
Just returned from a 4,000 mile East Texas to LA and back in two weeks. Loved every second of it. AP makes driving a pleasure. I never felt fatigued or tired. Here are a few tips:
  • The on-board trip computer usually is spot on. Charge until it says to continue your trip.
    • I didn't listen to the Tesla and my wife and short charged. Needless to say, we limped in to our next super charger.
  • Plan all breaks and stops aligned with supercharging stops
  • It is better and faster to have small short charges than one long charge.
    • From 0 to 140 miles I was getting 400+ mile/hr charge rates. Above that it considerably decreases.
    • At 150 kW/hr chargers, I was consistently getting 140 kW/hr
  • Enter your destination and keep an eye on % remaining at destination
    • Adjust speed to maintain a minimum of 10%
  • The computer will consider
    • trip consumption rates based on previous driving during the trip
    • elevation
    • temperature
  • What it cannot predict
    • Change in road conditions
    • Weather; rain, snow
    • Change in wind, tail or head
We took three days on the way to LA, then three days back at end of trip. I was impressed on how accurate the estimated time of arrival at the beginning of the day to actual. It was never far off.

It all depends on the person. I just got back from a. Trip from LA to Utah in my MX. It doesn't have as much range as your new LR but I was pretty annoyed at how frequently we had to stop and charge. In places like St. George where not much around but a Starbucks so we just sat in the car and kids watched Netflix. Probably ICE next time, I miss the 400 mile range on a road trip. To each his own.

It all depends on the person. I just got back from a. Trip from LA to Utah in my MX. It doesn't have as much range as your new LR but I was pretty annoyed at how frequently we had to stop and charge. In places like St. George where not much around but a Starbucks so we just sat in the car and kids watched Netflix. Probably ICE next time, I miss the 400 mile range on a road trip. To each his own.
I think that is my biggest "fear" with this car. However we've never done a road trip with our kids, so the stopping will hopefully be a non issue as we'll need to let her out and feed the little one.
I wouldn't doubt that with the newer battery tech and motors Tesla will come out with a 450 range MX with faster / longer sustained charging.

We did Austin to KC for thanksgiving with a 3 & 5 year old and 4 adults - every seat taken. We had a great time & the stops were fun mini adventures. We kicked around a soccer ball as a way to stretch the muscles and get the blood flowing during charging breaks. At one stop I’d just kick the ball as far as possible and the kids would chase it down. Nobody complained when it was time to stop. 600 miles seems to be our daily limit. Good luck, enjoy the journey!

I second this. A 5 hour drive to Richmond VA from central NJ takes 5 hours in ICE car. In my 2018 MX 75D it takes 7 hours in winter. A bit annoyed with the wait. Hopefully it will be much better in MY LR.

Like you, I used to drive till my 26 gal. tank got low. Then pulled into the cheapest gas station I could find and ran to the bathroom to empty my bladder while my gas tank filled. Sometimes my bladder would almost explode, my eyes could not stay open, my right foot would ache, but I was determined to be like you. Usually arrived totally spent. Glad that I had not run off the road, and staggered into the nearest bed. Woke up the next Morning still feeling rotten. Usually fell asleep on the visiting couch about 3:00 that afternoon. Had to steel myself for the return trip, and I knew it was going to be a Marathon and a test of endurance.

Then my life changed. Like you I purchased an X. Now I charge up the car in the garage the night before. Get up the next morning and punch in my destination. The computer will lay out your route and all suggested Supercharging stops and the estimated time to charge.
All the reachable Superchargers will be bright red, and the ones out of range will be pale red.

As you drive, your computer will constantly recalculate your recomended charging stops. If you drive fast, have headwinds, have the heat on high etc, it will make adjustments as you go.

You get to look at this route, and make your own charging decisions. Drive a little further and charge longer (perhaps at a favorite restaurant, or stop more frequently to make quicker stops. Your wife and kids will also be influencing your decision. If someone is getting cranky or needs changing, you might decide to stop sooner. If you are running a bit late you might decide to go a few miles further. All along the way, you are kept up to date, and make your own decisions. The more you drive, the more attuned you will be to the needs of the car, as well as the needs of your passengers.

Nothing is perfect, but everything is good. Amazingly you will find yourself arriving more refreshed, having accomplished more, and be in a much better mood than doing the bladder busting endurance runs.

You will enjoy the power of your X, the lack of engine vibration and the constant shifting of transmission gears. You will feel the joy of not burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline, while rejoycing that you are not spending all your kids allowance on that same gasoline.(Free Supercharging for life is liberating)

Careful planning to start with a full tank, time your Supercharging stops to meal times, and having family fun at your stops can make it a much more enjoyable trip. You have over 300 miles of estimated range. You will have lots of options.

Your Tesla will carry your family in safety, have tons of storage for all their stuff, and don't forget about the Frunk. If your daughter gets bored, simply engage the fart button. Will have her giggling in no time. You will also be able to show off your X to the people you are visiting and even entertain them one night with the built in music and dancing light show.

On long trips, your new adaptable suspension will give you a smooth quiet ride, with plenty of reserves of handling should the need for emergency avoidance be needed.

I understand your Wife's concern, they are natural and She is very protective of her children, but it can be a family building trip to provide memories for a lifetime.

Enjoy your trip.

As I sit here in at a supercharger in West Wendover NV and over 2200 miles in 5 days....

Don't know what I was thinking... This has been a VERY easy trip with the MX. The kids have been the hardest thing but all n all it has been great! The SC network has been just fine, but will say the waiting does stink a little bit but we've had "Rule #1 - When we stop we stop at a SC" Unless the new born is losing his mind then we address that. Coming from Colorado to Cali via I-70 / 15 and coming home via I-80 I can say that once we got into Cali it was nice to skip stations, to press on and get the battery to 10% instead of 20%. To charge up for 15 mins then go on vs the almost always 45 min stop due to lack of SC etc.
I LOVE the trip graph, the information it gives is great and the car just tells you what to do. Coming out of Mojave SC and driving to Fresno we ran into INSANE wind in the first 30 mins that used an average of 600+ Wh/mi, the car started bitching saying we needed to stay under 70MPH, did that and let the car regen on the hills, once we got out of the wind (45 mins) Fresno went from 5% to 9 to 13 to 18% and we were able to just continue on like a normal car.
Reached Fresno with I think 16% battery. After that both my wife and I haven't even thought about range, we just make sure to charge enough then head out.

Thanks for the tips! Its been a great (too quick) trip.

For long distance road trips during winter learn where the "Range Mode" button is in the Driving Menu. If for some reason your estimated arrival starts inching below 20%, this is the first thing that will save your range.
Just completed (literally 2 hrs ago) a CES round trip of 3k miles from Oregon, to CA to Las Vegas, then back via SF.
There was one leg that took up 12% more range than it should... and it was a nailbiter, until I remembered Range Mode. You'd think, naaa those days are gone... with 100kW packs. But when it gets 40 deg F and below... Range Mode is the first button you want to reach for. Keep this tip in your back pocket.
-TechVP