Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st long trip in the winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m headed to Snowshoe WV in a week and have a few questions for those with winter road trip experience.

Trip info:
-trip is 420 miles each way
-should be between 35f and 45f throughout the trip including while Parked for 3 nights and 2 full days.
-the drive both ways is going to be raining the whole way.
-last charge before arrival will be at wytheville or Mt Hope.
-hoping to plug in upon arrival and fill up to 90% and then park unplugged until I leave.
-arrive Saturday 5pm, leave Tuesday morning.

Questions:

how can I minimize drain while parked? Should I go into the menu and power off the car? (I already have summon standby OFF)

I don’t use any 3rd party apps.

If I park the car with 90% SOC and leave it for 48hrs or so unplugged, outside in 35-45 degrees how much battery % am I likely to use?

Bonus Question: anyone been to Snowshoe in the last week or so with first hand experience of the charger status/likelihood of availability?

Any insights are appreciated!

If I park the car with 90% SOC and leave it for 48hrs or so unplugged, outside in 35-45 degrees how much battery % am I likely to use?

you shouldn't lose more than 1-2% percent if you have sentry mode off, and also if you have FSD, disable smart summon standby. Also dont keep checking the car through the app. maybe check it once but dont keep waking it up.

Reactions: Bloomj and Rocky_H
Look around for some 120V plugs that you can plug into.

I asked about that but apparently none are accessible. We’ll see when I get there.

you shouldn't lose more than 1-2% percent if you have sentry mode off, and also if you have FSD, disable smart summon standby. Also dont keep checking the car through the app. maybe check it once but dont keep waking it up.

I have standby off and don’t use sentry mode. Does powering off the car in the menu make any difference?

I’m headed to Snowshoe WV in a week and have a few questions for those with winter road trip experience.

Trip info:
-trip is 420 miles each way
-should be between 35f and 45f throughout the trip including while Parked for 3 nights and 2 full days.
-the drive both ways is going to be raining the whole way.
-last charge before arrival will be at wytheville or Mt Hope.
-hoping to plug in upon arrival and fill up to 90% and then park unplugged until I leave.
-arrive Saturday 5pm, leave Tuesday morning.

Questions:

how can I minimize drain while parked? Should I go into the menu and power off the car? (I already have summon standby OFF)

I don’t use any 3rd party apps.

Bonus Question: anyone been to Snowshoe in the last week or so with first hand experience of the charger status/likelihood of availability?

Any insights are appreciated!
Don't know which Model 3 so can't tell you what % SOC you may lose. But Snowshoe supposedly has 2 Tesla destination chargers, 10 Snowshoe Dr. Bring your mobile charger just in case. My car loses about 0.3 miles of range an hour in 32F weather. So, in 48hrs about 15miles, but if Sentry is on, then you can easily lose 1.3miles of range an hour, or 62 miles.

Get the Plugshare app. It shows the Tesla Destination charger is at the Seneca lodge. People checkin and update on the app.

Reactions: Bloomj