Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st MY just Ordered. Have some Question/will take some advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, my main box is in the basement with a sub box right next to it. (Unfortunately and unrelatedly a lot of the connections are not labeled which bothers the OCD in me.) What’s worse is that I have a finished basement and the utility closet is diagonally across the house floor plan from the garage. It’s going to be a bit of a pain but we can get the wire about 85% of the way through the ceiling, (I’ve done it before with network cable) the last 15% will be somewhat challenging.

I do foresee getting another EV in the future and have thought about running two wires but maybe a sub box is the right idea; I’m hands on but leaving the electrical stuff to an electrician.

Reactions: tdeno
Right, my main box is in the basement with a sub box right next to it. (Unfortunately and unrelatedly a lot of the connections are not labeled which bothers the OCD in me.) What’s worse is that I have a finished basement and the utility closet is diagonally across the house floor plan from the garage. It’s going to be a bit of a pain but we can get the wire about 85% of the way through the ceiling, (I’ve done it before with network cable) the last 15% will be somewhat challenging.

I do foresee getting another EV in the future and have thought about running two wires but maybe a sub box is the right idea; I’m hands on but leaving the electrical stuff to an electrician.

I also have a sub next to my main for the basement (crazy we have a similar setup) - Zero space already in the main. After going back and forth, 1 'larger' line was a better option.

After reading the Gen 3 wall details that shifted my thinking 1) don't have room in main for another double pole for another line (had to install tandem breaker just to get the 100A in the main) 2) the 'power sharing' option in the Gen 3 wall seems like a good option (if/when it comes).

1624054318698.png

Hello everyone, new Tesla family member here.
Just placed an Order for a MY for my wife (really for me :p). We've been planning to order pretty much this entire year, but were waiting for the tax rebate to hopefully pass. Finally decided to order now, to lock in the constantly rising price. The plan is to defer delivery until there is a clear answer on whether fed tax credit is or is not happening.

A couple of questions:
Got a call and an email just now from the SA assigned to us by Tesla. I briefly explained that we're not rushing to get the car, and plan on waiting to find out regarding the tax credit; her response was: oh ok, then we won't put you for a car delivery this quarter. The email from her is asking to "fill out your home address so we know which service center to deliver the vehicle to". Should I do this, or put this off as much as possible? Again only asking so that I can delay delivery easier?

What else do I need to know as a first time Tesla buyer? I'm a big fan of researching things in advance; I've read a good bit here and there about the car, the company, etc., we have some friends that own teslas. I guess what I am asking is, are there any specific things/sources of info that you all recommend for me to read? Anything to do to prepare? I'm going to need to have electrical wire run from the basement to the garage which is diagonally across my house, so this is going to be a huge pia; I'm hands on and know people in the construction industry but definitely will need a prof electrician--is the general consensus to find my own or does tesla give local recommendations? Which is likely to be less expensive? What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!
I had the SC I wanted to use place the order, but that's after the fact now for you. And I would have just waited until you had to take the plunge or the tax credit was for certain (whichever occurred first)

I'm in central NJ and my 240V/50A run almost 2K (including permits). I used a local company that I also have service my generator. Basement to outside to the garage , up the back wall over and down to the front. No charging unit just a receptacle for the mobile charger that came with the car. In in all about 50-60 feet. I'm happy with the arrangement and see no need for for anything else. At 32A I could charge an empty battery overnight so don't see the reason for higher amperage.

I thought the Lawrenceville SC was OK and depending on north or south philly might not be too far. I would just figure out which one you want and just insist on that one.

• I also know that there are third party charger options to install instead of the Wall Charger. I need to look into those, but I believe they all require you to "stop charging" from the app or car before you can unplug them--is this correct? Seems like more work than my wife signed up for :)

No, you do not need to use the app to stop charging before unplugging a cord using the J1772 adapter. You can just push the button on the J1772 connector which interrupts power. Release the button before pulling the handle to make sure the adapter comes out with it. The car has to either be unlocked or detect the phone key for the charging port to unlock.

I use two J1772 EVSEs that we installed for prior EVs to charge our M3 and MY. I may upgrade to dual Gen 3 wall connectors now that they can be set up to share a single breaker, but I'm in no rush to spend the money as charging at 16 amps max hasn't ever been an issue.

I got the Abstract Ocean protector -
Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 & Y
It was easy to install. Can't remember exactly how it worked but basically they provide a frame that aligns the protector and somehow you just lifted the frame off leaving the protector in place.

I left the film on my screen until I put the screen protector on. That way there was virtually no cleaning needed.

I ordered my car on Jan 30 but didn't want delivery until after March 1. I was matched with a VIN twice but the SA easily unmatched me, and I think finally just indicated in their system that I wanted a March delivery. When I logged in on the morning of March 1, I had a VIN!
I ordered MY on June 25th hoping for delivery Aug/Sept which seems likely right now. However, we just incurred a huge expense for home repairs - and at this point I'd rather wait until March/April 2022 so that I feel more comfortable with my bank account. How many times can I defer delivery? I don't really want to cancel my order but I also don't want to have a zero bank balance either...

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have been reading them all.

... That said, as soon as there is clear indication one way or another on the bills, we'll schedule delivery.
Anyways, I appreciate all the tips and info, keep it coming please.
Many good comments already. Here's my take based on owning three Teslas since 2014 and operating a few others, including some non-Tesla ones:
1. Using a Tesla wall charger is usually a trifle expensive if you care about the price. Generic EV wall chargers come with a J1772 outlet that allows you to use the adapter that comes with your car, rather than the separate adapter. Realistically you'll probably charge overnight so anything 208/30 or better is all you need. Please don't let anybody convince you that you need more amperage or the Tesla Wall Connector. You don't unless you really need to fully charge your car in four hours or so. Anyway, all over there are charging points in shopping centers, hotels and elsewhere. Plugshare is crucial:

I started there rather than on purchase timing and tax benefits. Why? Because the most important benefits from Tesla in my opinion are:
1. Near-total lack of required maintenance. That saves money, time and irritation;
2. Zero gasoline station visits. You won't think of that until you o longer do it;
3. Charging at home and charging on trips at hotels. Most of the time, on major trips (Milan-Dubrovnik, Miami-Halifax, San Francisco-Atlanta and many more) I often end out charging overnight at hotels then during the day when I stop for lunch or breaks. Using Plugshare etc ends out allowing better planning so using less pure charging stops. FWIW, my personal habits are such that even with long trips I haven't used a Supercharger since I bought my latest Tesla.
4. The big maintenance item is tires. That ends out making a Tesla far cheaper to operate than any ICE.
So, with those four factors the tax benefits tend to fade quickly. As a result I probably would not change purchase plans based on hypothetical tax benefits. Were they not hypothetical I'd probably weigh the timing a little bit.

Then, aftermarket adds:
1. I do strongly recommend protective covering for the front, lower sides and, now available, windshield. That saves money and preserves aesthetics.
2. Mats etc are personal choice. I do not do them myself.
3. Screen protectors are, for me, essential. You'll be using the touch sensitive screen every trip and more. With a protective screen it will be easier to clean and have less glare. I use Abstract Ocean but there are quite a few good ones, my choice is partly habit.
For me, that is it.
Spare tires- not for me. I had one flat tire in Tesla-driving for the last seven years. That was just after buying my new one, a Model S Plaid. I was charging at a hotel when a construction residue nail took out a tire, 850 miles after delivery. The Tesla mobile tire repair/repalcement arrived in 30 minutes and repaired the tire on the spot. So long as one can depend on that I skip the spare.

FWIW, on mobile service in general. Back in 2016 I was in a Model S70 driving through remote Wyoming when the car had a diminished power warning. I struggled to reach a small roadside hotel where I called Tesla Roadside Service. They diagnosed the problem in seconds (OTA is magic!), let me continue to drive to Denver where the Tesla Service Center made the required hardware fix. That was late Saturday afternoon, they were allegedly closed.

These anecdotes are typical of why many of us might not make changes to timing for uncertain tax benefits.

Please don't confuse my ownership comments with praise for the buying process. The process is stellar if there are no issues. It is really irritating if there are. Even with the poor sales support it has been, for me, a huge benefit to eliminate dealers from my US life.