TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1st Photo of Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by kingjamez, May 9, 2018.

1. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

From the Tesla 2018 all hands video.

Attached Files:

2. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

Can this be the new Model Y steering wheel and monitor? (see at 1:05)
    Note: Is it a curvy touch screen and trackpad in the center of the steering wheel?
    2018 05 09 Tesla all hands Video - Interior @1 05 .jpg

3. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

No, that’s the Roadster.

• Like x 2
  4. kaiserpathos

kaiserpathos Member

#4 kaiserpathos, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    AFAIK that's the Roadster prototype interior steering wheel and monitor. But that earlier part of the video definitely seems like a perfectly-staged tiny reveal of Model Y prototype dimensions. It's too much of a statement having the back door ajar, to confirm they aren't FWDs like on Model X.

5. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

#5 fasteddie7, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    I don’t know about that. The door looks ajar backwards. Theirs a gap on the other side too. Maybe it’s a sliding door like a minivan, or it’s a mini falcon wing....or a big panel gap lol

• Funny x 1
  6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Some people on Electrek comment section seem to think that the car under the tarp is a partially assembled S refresh. I can't tell one way or another.

7. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

8. S'toon

Elon did mention once that they'd make the Y based on 3 chassis. They talked him out of the insanity of a totally new platform for the Y.

9. NeverFollow

I think that Tesla was doing some reverse engineering...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 3
  10. R.S

R.S Active Member

If you look at the front door to rear door ratio and the front door to wheelbase ratio, it's probably not a Model S refresh, unless it has massive front doors. I guess it's just a Model 3 test mule.

Model_Y.jpg Tesla-Model-3-side-high-620x350.jpg 2017-tesla-model-s_100584991_l-1.jpg

• Like x 1
  11. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Agreed. I do not think this vehicle is related to the Model Y. It's probably a Model S that they're working on refreshing.

Model S Comparison.png

12. Olds442

Olds442 Member

did i spy a stealth black performance model 3? at 37 seconds :cool:

13. S'toon

Matte black, yes. Musk said it make sense to make matte black since there was such a positive response of it on the reveal. Looks like we know why it hasn't appeared, they were saving it for the performance model.

Eye-Catching Matte Black Tesla Model 3 Goes Out In The Wild

• Like x 1
  14. R.S

R.S Active Member

You misread my post. I don't think it's a refreshed S, to me it looks like a Model 3. The front doors would otherwise be way too long, at least for a sedan. If you look at the Model S, there is more space between the front wheel and where the front door starts. So I think it's just a Model 3 mule that was covered up.

Could still be a Model S 2 prototype, but those doors will be unpractical in real life. I once had a BMW 3series coupe and while it looked great, the doors were a real problem in tight parking spaces.

15. Dom33928

Dom33928 Member

Look at the roofline, the passenger door's window is much higher than the Model 3 and so is the third window. It seems to be a Model Y prototype for me.

• Like x 1
  16. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

If it's a Model 3 test mule, then there is ZERO reason to have it covered or show it on the video.

• Like x 1
  17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.12.1.1

One great reason to include it is to stir up a lot of speculation and interest. FREE advertising! :)

18. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

All the rampant speculation aside, what a TERRIBLE video for Tesla as a company. Simply awful. This is the best they could do? Tesla, please hire a decent marketing team - you're going to need them.

19. timf

timf Member

There are 100 different things it could be, but nothing about it screams Model Y. It looks like nothing more than a Model 3, possibly in some state of disassembly that they didn't want to show. It's just there to represent R&D. With the cover though it becomes anything you want it to be.

20. NeverFollow

2019 Tesla Model 3 Hatchback Review @ Top Speed

"Tesla has stated it’s looking into a multitude of different body styles,
    which means a Model 3 Hatchback could very well be in the pipeline."