Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st supercharge(outside of dealer) only. 37kaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
25 min drive to charger in fontana(72kw). It did the SC heatup on the way. Was at 106 miles left, only gotten 91 miles and its been almost 45 mins...like 30 spots here, maybe 5 taken, nobody closer than 2 chargers away.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_220831.jpg
    IMG_20210411_220831.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 88
You were charging at an Urban Supercharger location. Urban Superchargers are limited to 72kW due to the smaller space available for the Supercharger transformers, other equipment. Urban Superchargers are typically located in shopping centers, parking garages.

Fontana, CA Supercharger:
Charging: 24 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW

Fontana, CA Supercharger | Tesla
Correct, however the 1st charger was obviously not working well, a Y came after I started and left before i unplugged. Lol. Just have to make sure to check charging rate and if crappy, replug and or move spots. Lesson learned.

Correct, however the 1st charger was obviously not working well, a Y came after I started and left before i unplugged. Lol. Just have to make sure to check charging rate and if crappy, replug and or move spots. Lesson learned.
The 25 minute drive to the Supercharger probably wasn't enough to warm the battery sufficiently. Once you started Supercharging, that helped warm the battery more and could've been why you were able to hit the maximum charge rate once you moved. While it's possible there was a problem with the first stall, you don't need to worry about paired Supercharger stalls at an Urban Supercharger since they aren't shared like v2 Supercharger stalls.

The 25 minute drive to the Supercharger probably wasn't enough to warm the battery sufficiently. Once you started Supercharging, that helped warm the battery more and could've been why you were able to hit the maximum charge rate once you moved. While it's possible there was a problem with the first stall, you don't need to worry about paired Supercharger stalls at an Urban Supercharger since they aren't shared like v2 Supercharger stall
That is possible, however i did a long trip that day, and soon as i swapped chargers it jumped..So either bad connection(maybe a re-plug would have fixed), or just a slow charger.

There are definitely slow chargers. They are unrelated to charger pairing or battery temperature.

I took a 2K mile road trip last week and encountered several Supercharger locations where I got a much lower charge rate than I expected. Moving spots solved the charge rate problem. In some cases it more than doubled the charge rate.

Re-plugging did not significantly increase the charge rate. Moving to a still-hot charger seemed to have about the same success rate as moving to one that had been unused for a few minutes.

Once I asked another driver that took the spot I had just vacated, and he also had a low charging rate.

This was with a 2021 Model Y that had previously only had two 5 minute supercharger sessions. One stop on the trip was Quartzsite, pulling in mid-day at 100F air temperature and 20% charge my initial charging rate was reported as 251 kW, so I know that the battery wasn't the limit.

Bottom line: switch chargers early if you aren't getting the charge rate you expect.

There are definitely slow chargers. They are unrelated to charger pairing or battery temperature.

I took a 2K mile road trip last week and encountered several Supercharger locations where I got a much lower charge rate than I expected. Moving spots solved the charge rate problem. In some cases it more than doubled the charge rate.

Re-plugging did not significantly increase the charge rate. Moving to a still-hot charger seemed to have about the same success rate as moving to one that had been unused for a few minutes.

Once I asked another driver that took the spot I had just vacated, and he also had a low charging rate.

This was with a 2021 Model Y that had previously only had two 5 minute supercharger sessions. One stop on the trip was Quartzsite, pulling in mid-day at 100F air temperature and 20% charge my initial charging rate was reported as 251 kW, so I know that the battery wasn't the limit.

Bottom line: switch chargers early if you aren't getting the charge rate you expect.
Also be aware of pairing at a v2 Supercharger. I once pulled into a 6 stall v2 Supercharger and two of the paired stalls were out of order. Three of the four working stalls were in use. After I moved from one of the broken Superchargers, two of the drivers told me the others weren't working correctly either. When I asked what rates they were charging at, I realized neither of them knew about paired Supercharger stalls. Their combined charge rates added up to over 140 kW, exactly what would be expected on shared v2 Superchargers. My Supercharging session started out with a low kW charge rate but as soon as the third car left, my charge rate jumped to over 130 kW.

Also be aware of pairing at a v2 Supercharger. I once pulled into a 6 stall v2 Supercharger and two of the paired stalls were out of order. Three of the four working stalls were in use. After I moved from one of the broken Superchargers, two of the drivers told me the others weren't working correctly either. When I asked what rates they were charging at, I realized neither of them knew about paired Supercharger stalls. Their combined charge rates added up to over 140 kW, exactly what would be expected on shared v2 Superchargers. My Supercharging session started out with a low kW charge rate but as soon as the third car left, my charge rate jumped to over 130 kW.

I'm well aware of the pairing -- see the first line in my post.

Reactions: whisperingshad