Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took a 404 mile road trip. We made a video of our experience. Clearly I am not a Youtuber but turned out ok with the help of my 14 year old. lol

For a new EV owner it was super easy and I see no reason to go back to ICE.

Total of 404 Miles
Avg Speed 53.29 MPH
Time: 1245 - 820 - 7:35 minutes (45 minutes of Traffic)
Kwh Used: 101.85
Cost:
Super Charging: $23.14 - (added 195.22 miles or 51.42 kwh) $.45/kwh
Home Charging: $5.25 - (added 208.78 miles or 50.42 kwh used) or $.10/kwh
Total Cost: $28.39 or $.07/mile
Time to Charge 23 minutes
3 stops 2 where to charge

If Driving Lexus RX - 30 mpg Same Trip: $50.50 (Plus oil change 5% used = $13.46) - this may be a little high however everytime I took my lexus in it was $300+ each 7500 miles....
Total Cost $64 or $.16/mile

My wife and I love road trips in general but doing it in an EV is an added extra fun with all the different charger setups and not the usual gas station stops. Some have amazing hotel bathrooms, some have great food choices, some have beautiful views. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20220907_161225.jpg
    20220907_161225.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Cyberspeed
My wife and I love road trips in general but doing it in an EV is an added extra fun with all the different charger setups and not the usual gas station stops. Some have amazing hotel bathrooms, some have great food choices, some have beautiful views. Enjoy!
Try a Buc-ee's. They have full time washroom attendants in the toilets. Incredibly clean. They are SE US and huge, 100+ pumps and no semis. It is a destination gas station. They have an agreement with Tesla and new stations have supercharges. I stopped at one in St Augustine and it was a perfect charging stop.

Reactions: PewPew
Try a Buc-ee's. They have full time washroom attendants in the toilets. Incredibly clean. They are SE US and huge, 100+ pumps and no semis. It is a destination gas station. They have an agreement with Tesla and new stations have supercharges. I stopped at one in St Augustine and it was a perfect charging stop.

I second thata

Two days ago, we stopped at a Buc-ee's in Robertsdale, AL. The place was huge and downright amazing. There sixteen chargers, most of which were empty and available. There were tons of people but it was not a problem.

To top it off, I had a delicious bbq beef brisket sandwich for lunch.

I did feel rather bad for the older guy who pulled into the charging station next to us with a new Mach-E. After he realized the plug wouldn't fit, he asked me why the chargers were only for Tesla's. He had a hard time believing me when I said Tesla paid for all of the chargers.

Last edited:
I second thata

Two days ago, we stopped at a Buc-ee's in Robertsdale, AL. The place was huge and downright amazing. There sixteen chargers, most of which were empty and available. There were tons of people but it was not a problem.

To top it off, I had a delicious bbq beef brisket sandwich for lunch.

I did feel rather bad for the older guy who pulled into the charging station next to us with a new Mach-E. After he realized the plug wouldn't fit, he asked me why the chargers were only for Tesla's. He had a hard time believing me when I said Tesla paid for all of the chargers.
will be a game changer when Tesla puts chargers in Kentucky. None at the new buc-ee's there yet.

Roadtrips this summer have been great. AP on the freeways with zero stress driving...except in construction zones and FSD beta on unfamiliar city or rural town streets, especially at night with hard to read or missing street signs, have been fantastic.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Roadtrips this summer have been great. AP on the freeways with zero stress driving...except in construction zones and FSD beta on unfamiliar city or rural town streets, especially at night with hard to read or missing street signs, have been fantastic.
Do you have vision or radar? I just caved in and updated mine and got the vision only now. First thing I noted is that I hate auto high beams. Didn't do a long drive yet but hesitant it will be as radar AP with almost no issues for me.

Do you have vision or radar? I just caved in and updated mine and got the vision only now. First thing I noted is that I hate auto high beams. Didn't do a long drive yet but hesitant it will be as radar AP with almost no issues for me.
tesla vision - no issues with night driving. Its pretty good and changes to low beams when other cars roll up. I just set the AP and let it rock and roll.

Vision. Auto high beams improved significantly over the last year to the point where i don't need to disable them anymore.

will be a game changer when Tesla puts chargers in Kentucky. None at the new buc-ee's there yet.
Didn't realize Buc-ee's had an agreement with Tesla.
Why would they build the new locations w/o SC's? Probably BS state regs.
I live in Lex KY, where there's only 1 SC location (north side - I live south side, 20 min drive away).
The in-laws live in Richmond where the new Buc-ee's was built, but no SC's.
And I couldn't find anything on Buc-ee's site about EV charging at any of their locations.

I've been to 7-8 Buc-ee's and they all had Tesla superchargers except, I believe, Daytona and there was already a supercharger a couple miles away. A quick web search references an agreement to have Tesla Superchargers at 26 Buc-ee's locations in 7 states. It really is a great place to stop.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Didn't realize Buc-ee's had an agreement with Tesla.
Why would they build the new locations w/o SC's? Probably BS state regs.
I live in Lex KY, where there's only 1 SC location (north side - I live south side, 20 min drive away).
The in-laws live in Richmond where the new Buc-ee's was built, but no SC's.
And I couldn't find anything on Buc-ee's site about EV charging at any of their locations.
two I stopped at were in Adairsville, GA & Fort Valley, GA along I75.

Google Search Results: Tesla & Buc-ee's Plans For Superchargers Span 26 Stores In 7 States

Looks like more are coming.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom