Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla - Shocked at process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.png

So, we have a model S Long Range, bot new March 2019. It's my wife's daily driver. I recently borrowed it to get Annual State inspection and have tires rotated. Car has never been back to Tesla since day we took delivery in Mt. Kisco N.Y. Total maintenance since we took delivery is two tire rotations. We keep it washed and waxed
During this process I rediscovered what a great car it is and decided I would buy one for myself. We live in Maine and our delivery point is Mt. Kisco N.Y. When I bot the S in 2019 there were about 50 S's Long Range in inventory. Found a red one we liked, worked out the details, and picked the car up. Tesla paid for our meals and lodging in Mt. Kisco and gave $500. credit in Tesla store. This time: only "new" Model S's in inventory are demonstrators, no Refreshes. I have to pay own meals and lodging in Mt. Kisco, no store credit or have a long day driving from Maine and back. Tesla will deliver vehicle to my house but there is a $750. delivery charge. Tesla rep advises NOT to use delivery service as they use third parties over which Tesla has little control. Cars sometimes arrive with broken wind shields and paint chips and we would have to drive to Mass. to get it repaired.
Rep. advises that delivery time is 10-15 weeks. Tesla is selling everything they make.
P.S. I am a former BMW owner/ member of BMW club. Tesla has many advantages over BMW. BMW is very good at providing service and you pay for it.

There are moments of genius and amazement with the car and some of the features, and there are disappointments. I am angry with autopilot and FSD, but the car is a joy just to drive without all that automation I paid $10K for -- huge amounts of completely linear power. Enjoy!

Yess....linear power is the one thing that has me hooked. I drove my Model 3 through mountains and there's nothing like going up a hill without any struggle, shifting, revving. Pure acceleration, at any point when you want or need it, and it feels effortless on the car.

In another, more practical use case, I live next to a very busy highway with no lights. In pretty much any gas car outside of 4.9 0-60s, it's extremely difficult to get over on the road (usually you have to drive on the shoulder first and then merge).

With my Model 3, there just needed to be a small gap and you could out accelerate any traffic already on the road. It's funny, cars would see me pull out (even if they were, IDK .5 miles away) and they'd just get over, but then realize that I was already going faster than them within a few seconds.

And on the highways, oh you need to pass? No shifting or revving delay, you just go. SO much safer. Person behind you not paying attention and about to ram you? Yeah, you can get out of the way. Practically speaking, having this much AND having this kind of immediate power is so much safer.

Last edited:
And then you void your warranty.

No, it wouldn't.

In order to deny warranty coverage, Tesla would have to prove that an aftermarket modification directly impacted the warranteed part. And even if they can do that and deny warranty service for such a part, that doesn't invalidate the rest of the warranty. See: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

We have had great help and care from the Rocklin,Ca. service center since the day we ordered our MS 85D in December 2014. The people there have always been great. And then, there have been the Tesla Ranger mobile help we have used twice in northern Michigan.
We are currently considering a new Tesla. I want another S, LR. My husband is interested in a Y. We are aware of the service stories we hear, but those stories will never dissuade us from getting another Tesla.

Living in the northern mid-atlantic region, I have visited several service centers since I joined the Tesla family. All experiences have been excellent but I have a few comments/thoughts:

1. I feel (100% subjective) that the service experience on the west coast is significantly worse than it is on the east coast. This may simply be due to the fact that there are more Teslas on the road there so there is more overcrowding in the service centers but may just be because there are more people driving them so a higher percentage of complaints.

2. You need to go into the process with adjusted expectations. I purchased my first Model S in 2019 after watching the entire Rich Rebuilds saga where he purchased his Model X. I knew exactly what I was getting into so when the process went off without a hitch, I was pleasantly surprised.

3. I think everyone would agree that if there is anything that will cause Tesla to lose their market lead/advantage, it will be their customer service. Tesla needs to fix this problem (and it is an easy fix) sooner than later because as soon as there is a real true competitor, they will be in trouble.

Again, I absolutely love my local service center (Wilmington, DE). They are incredibly responsive and the service advisor goes out of her way to keep in communication and answer questions.

-DJ

Reactions: Puma2020
I too get frustrated with Tesla but it isn't like the alternatives with comparable specs/prices and amazing quality/reliability are just around the corner.
The early entrants from the legacy manufacturers aren't going to be more reliable and they won't compare on specs/prices.
I won't buy an Apple because of their crap - but Samsung is comparable and better in many ways.
Lucid does not equal Samsung. Not by several orders of magnitude. And Toyota/VW might as well be Blackberry.
I got mad during our March 2019 model 3 purchase. The car is flawless and has never been touched by Tesla since the drop off. 20k miles.
This isn't new for Tesla and I could sell that car for very close to purchase price. So resale value hasn't been touched by Tesla's BS.
(Resale value on some high end S's have been hammered by price drops but base S's mostly are fine)
My Model S L R is now 2 years old and I recently used the Mobil App. to schedule a moisture test of the brake fluid and brake flush if needed. I live in Cape Elizabeth, Maine and the nearest Service Center is in Peabody Mass, about 75 miles away. Everything worked as advertised and the Service Van is coming next Tues. The only other "Service" I have had with this Vehicle, since I took delivery in Mt. Kisco N.Y. is two tire rotations.
I traded a 535E BMW for this Tesla and I am certain that if I had bot another BMW I would have spent significantly more for Service over the two years.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
So I ordered a Model S last October. My SA assured me there was not going to be any "refresh" coming. (First mistake was trusting him.) Forward to December and the Tesla Factory had just shut down. I was concerned hearing about suspension issues in China and also that a refresh could be coming. I was called by delivery department and wanted to ask some questions. Mind you I had already been waiting two months for an $80K car. The delivery department basically said we don't know. Take it or leave it. This was my first experience with Tesla. I have been driving the Lexus brand for 20 years, and drive a less expensive car, and have had a far better experience with the process. Needless to say I didn't take delivery. Then there was the period of darkness where nobody knew anything. I had to pull my current car off the market for sale. Then the refresh news. Ok fine. Glad I waited and didn't buy an outdated car. But then I am told that I will have to pay the new price (when my SA said that you are locked in on pricing no matter what happens) with a measly $2K discount. Fine. I will let it go, although now I am getting really ticked off. Then as I start to question everything this SA told me (including Tesla gives out loaner cars during service in LA - wrong again), I am really disappointed this is the level of customer care they offer. Moving forward my account was changed from Feb 15th- March 15th delivery date to "we will reach out to you". Absolutely no time frame while others who ordered AFTER the refresh was announced have dates or at least the month of March.
Now I finally get a new order agreement in, and it is wrong. No discounts. No delivery date. Also being told I will not even be able to test drive the car because I will likely have it before showrooms have test vehicles. How does someone now buy a $90k car with a whole new steering system and no stalks without a test drive? And if I delay delivery, I will likely go to the back of the line again and have to wait months. I reach out to a new SA who doesn't respond back. I mean this is absolutely shockingly bad customer service. I might understand for a Model 3, but for a Model S or X they need better customer care. Not impressed with Tesla thus far. At some point this is going to catch up with Tesla as more EV brands hit the road and other options are available.
Remember that Tesla doesn’t spend on advertising or dealership commissions. Would you spend an extra 10% for a better service?
I think it’s even bigger that that.
Tesla shifted to making cost efficient cars with maximum value to customers. Notice that don’t offer much customization anymore, even for their luxury line.

Sorry, but there is effectively NO HANDHOLDING with Tesla. You have to be a Big Boy or Big Girl to own one.

If you want to test drive a new Model S, you'll just have to wait. Period. They don't really even exist yet. Get over it--either buy the car, or simply defer your order until you have a chance to drive one. It's not the end of the world, but I'll probably wait to test drive one too; we'll see. This Model S will be our 10th, but this is a big change compared to the 2013 thru 2020's we've owned.

As for the general lack of answers, and/or wrong answers, well, it's par for the course.

It's generally an outstanding product, assuming they'll build yours correctly. If not, for many issues there IS mobile service, something far, far better than anything Lexus, BMW or MBZ have ever offered . . . .

The best part is that buying one helps leave a usable planet for others. I don't think any other brand can claim that as their EV sales just allow them more credits to sell carbon-dumping ICE garbage.
7D57B3DA-CFCF-4886-9CEF-3091AD7D9023.jpeg

I guess that’s just a figment of my imagination.

Also I don’t think you’re helping leave a usable planet by buying a new car every year.

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
Remember that Tesla doesn’t spend on advertising or dealership commissions. Would you spend an extra 10% for a better service?
I think it’s even bigger that that.
Tesla shifted to making cost efficient cars with maximum value to customers. Notice that don’t offer much customization anymore, even for their luxury line.
Your argument holds no water because Tesla never spent money on advertising nor did they offer commissions back when they had great customer service. The only thing that’s changed is the penny pinching that has resulted in a smaller staff at a time when car sales are growing quickly.

Also I don’t think you’re helping leave a usable planet by buying a new car every year.

There's no environmental impact to frequent car purchases.
  • Used cars have residual value and lifespan
  • Additional used cars on the secondary market increase supply, pushing down price
  • Lower prices on the secondary market will cannibalize new car sales
Therefore, buying new just means that my used car will effectively turn some other new-car buyer into a used-car buyer. The net number of cars in the universe remains constant.

There's no environmental impact to frequent car purchases.
  • Used cars have residual value and lifespan
  • Additional used cars on the secondary market increase supply, pushing down price
  • Lower prices on the secondary market will cannibalize new car sales
Therefore, buying new just means that my used car will effectively turn some other new-car buyer into a used-car buyer. The net number of cars in the universe remains constant.
you assume that he is not crashing and totaling his Model S every year😂

• Funny
Reactions: Rogue Synapse
Anyone who has ever ordered a car in Europe before a model change has the same experience, and I cannot imagine that Lexus would be able to do anything different:
  • A new upcoming model or refresh is never announced within the sales organisation. The sales people are there to sell the current cars, not to Osborne their current lineup by telling prospective buyers that a new model is coming so they should hold off their purchase
  • A new model also means there are seldom any demo cars available when introduced. Like someone said: there are enough people buying cars unseen, and even willing to pay a premium to do so, that even dealers from OEMs have to promise that they won't sell the first demo they receive and just outright deliver it to a paying customer
This has even happened to the Ford Mustang Mach-E, where dealers are now slapping extras on MRSP because they feel there are buyers willing to pay to get their Mach-E early. I'm sure this even happened with Lexus' LFA.