Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla - Wheel Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brunla

MS-LR / MSM / Black / Arachnid / FSD
Dec 22, 2020
Los Angeles
I am awaiting the new MS long range. I am ordering with the 19" wheels for better range. However like most people I think their 19" wheels are ugly.
I've never owned a Tesla and never changed wheels. So.... here are my questions:
1. If I find a random affordable set of 19" wheels, can I use the same tires that come with the car?
2. Will getting another pair of 19" wheels affect my range or will it be the same as listed with the 19" wheels that come with the car?
3. I found a set of wheels at America Tires that fit the Tesla for only $784 total. Any downside to these that you can tell?
4. Is the ride smoother on 19" or 21" wheels?

Thanks!

I am awaiting the new MS long range. I am ordering with the 19" wheels for better range. However like most people I think their 19" wheels are ugly.
I've never owned a Tesla and never changed wheels. So.... here are my questions:
1. If I find a random affordable set of 19" wheels, can I use the same tires that come with the car?
2. Will getting another pair of 19" wheels affect my range or will it be the same as listed with the 19" wheels that come with the car?
3. I found a set of wheels at America Tires that fit the Tesla for only $784 total. Any downside to these that you can tell?

Thanks!
Bad news, you can't go with those wheels. I did look for you and they're nice but if you're going for aftermarket wheels, make sure they're the right size. You were probably speculating that the 19s on the refresh would come with the same 19-8" wide wheels similar to the 19s on the current S.
I know for sure that the front tire on the refresh is 255-45-19 and the wheel is 19x8.5". I can't confirm 100% but apparently the 19s are staggered (as per the killowatts) with a 285-40-19 rear tire. This means the rear wheel is probably 19x10" (give or take .5").
If you want different 19s (I agree the Tempest are ugly), I'd definitely stick with the same size wheels/tires that come on the car.

Thanks!
1. Only if the wheels are the exact same size as the wheels that come on the car.
2. It could affect range but probably not by much.
3. Downside is they aren't the right size for the refresh.
4. Definitely 19s

You could take off the hub covers on the 19s which will make them look a bit better. You can also have the hub covers powder coated which will help. Save your money on wheels; at least wait until you get the car to decide.

Bad news, you can't go with those wheels. I did look for you and they're nice but if you're going for aftermarket wheels, make sure they're the right size. You were probably speculating that the 19s on the refresh would come with the same 19-8" wide wheels similar to the 19s on the current S.
I know for sure that the front tire on the refresh is 255-45-19 and the wheel is 19x8.5". I can't confirm 100% but apparently the 19s are staggered (as per the killowatts) with a 285-40-19 rear tire. This means the rear wheel is probably 19x10" (give or take .5").
If you want different 19s (I agree the Tempest are ugly), I'd definitely stick with the same size wheels/tires that come on the car.
I have no idea about wheels or sizes or staggering. I just know the tempest are ugly. LOL
I will wait until I have the car and they release all the specs before I purchase. I appreciate the insight! May circle back after that for your advice.

I have no idea about wheels or sizes or staggering. I just know the tempest are ugly. LOL
I will wait until I have the car and they release all the specs before I purchase. I appreciate the insight! May circle back after that for your advice.
Also, keep in mind that wheel design has a major impact on range.

Aerodynamic drag is huge impact as the top of the wheel/tire combination is going twice as fast as the bottom, relative to airflow. In other words, if you're at 75 mph, the top of the tire/wheel combination is at 150 mph, while the bottom is at zero mph.

Thus, I'd keep the stock wheels for a while and see how it goes.

If you really can't abide by them, then take off the covers and buy the center caps for a token amount of money. Your range will suffer slightly, but you've spent next to nothing for the new look, and behind the covers they look pretty nice (at least they do on the current generation).

Also, keep in mind that wheel design has a major impact on range.

Aerodynamic drag is huge impact as the top of the wheel/tire combination is going twice as fast as the bottom, relative to airflow. In other words, if you're at 75 mph, the top of the tire/wheel combination is at 150 mph, while the bottom is at zero mph.

Thus, I'd keep the stock wheels for a while and see how it goes.

If you really can't abide by them, then take off the covers and buy the center caps for a token amount of money. Your range will suffer slightly, but you've spent next to nothing for the new look, and behind the covers they look pretty nice (at least they do on the current generation).
Do you know where I can find a photo of what they look like behind the covers?

Here's my 2020 MS LR+ with the Tempest wheel covers removed and black bits of plastic added.

CRB3.jpg