Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

1st Time buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a model s 2013-15 for my wife with autopilot. Recently got some solar panels installed so makes sense for an electric. Drives 40 miles one way but passes a supercharger station on her way to work. Also looking for some sort of autopilot. Not sure what the different batteries mean or unlocking a higher model etc. any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Looking for a model s 2013-15 for my wife with autopilot. Recently got some solar panels installed so makes sense for an electric. Drives 40 miles one way but passes a supercharger station on her way to work. Also looking for some sort of autopilot. Not sure what the different batteries mean or unlocking a higher model etc. any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Try calling your local Tesla Store and see if they can help you if tou have been unsuccessful finding one on the internet.

We were also looking for a late model S to buy prior to getting our Model 3. I had a couple of VIN #,s to check out and compare the options included so went to the Tesla store where the staff were very helpful.

Then they asked me to go online at the store and build our ideal S. Then they showed me that, after discounting for the rebates, we would have only saved about $20-25K by purchasing a used Model S. By spending the extra money we would get a brand new car with full warranty rather than one with 40-50K miles on it. Plus we got AP-2 with FSD rather than AP-1. My wife and I talked it over and decided to just get a new one.

When asked by our friends and neighbors why we spent so much money on a car we just tell then that this is our "Motor Home". A lot of our friends, and even a few neighbors have Motor Homes and do not use then that often. We use our Tesla Model S every day, and take lots of medium and long distance trips throughout the year. Over 15,000 miles in our first 3 months. After nine months we are over 21,000 miles and our next trip season will start again in April.

Think about this before you purchase a used Model S for over $50,000. Oh, and I am happy to give you my referral code, lol.

We were also looking for a late model S to buy prior to getting our Model 3. I had a couple of VIN #,s to check out and compare the options included so went to the Tesla store where the staff were very helpful.

Then they asked me to go online at the store and build our ideal S. Then they showed me that, after discounting for the rebates, we would have only saved about $20-25K by purchasing a used Model S. By spending the extra money we would get a brand new car with full warranty rather than one with 40-50K miles on it. Plus we got AP-2 with FSD rather than AP-1. My wife and I talked it over and decided to just get a new one.

When asked by our friends and neighbors why we spent so much money on a car we just tell then that this is our "Motor Home". A lot of our friends, and even a few neighbors have Motor Homes and do not use then that often. We use our Tesla Model S every day, and take lots of medium and long distance trips throughout the year. Over 15,000 miles in our first 3 months. After nine months we are over 21,000 miles and our next trip season will start again in April.

Think about this before you purchase a used Model S for over $50,000. Oh, and I am happy to give you my referral code, lol.
That’s my story as well. We ordered a model 3 and still have the reservation but we went to the Tesla Store to look at a used one. Loved it. We were halfway home when my wife said she didn’t want a used one but a new Model S. We have never looked back. People said the same thing to me, why spend so much money on a car that you will never make your money back. After I took them for a ride they were thrilled and had so many questions. Then they got it.

Autopilot was announced in October of 2014, so no 2013 has any form, and most 2014s don't either.

Every car built from late September 2014 to October 2016 has first generation Autopilot hardware, with one camera and the Mobileye chip.

Cars built since then have eight cameras and much bigger computer on the dash - AP2 and now AP2.5, which are eventually promised to be capable of self driving but are currently barely equal to AP1.

Autopilot was announced in October of 2014, so no 2013 has any form, and most 2014s don't either.

Every car built from late September 2014 to October 2016 has first generation Autopilot hardware, with one camera and the Mobileye chip.

Cars built since then have eight cameras and much bigger computer on the dash - AP2 and now AP2.5, which are eventually promised to be capable of self driving but are currently barely equal to AP1.
Thanks for the info! Didn’t realize autopilot took until late 2014 to arrive. If a car is a 2015 and doesn’t have ap it can be added later or “unlocked”?

Thanks for the info! Didn’t realize autopilot took until late 2014 to arrive. If a car is a 2015 and doesn’t have ap it can be added later or “unlocked”?

Yes. If a car has the hardware, it can be enabled for a fee by Tesla.

Pre AP cars can't be given AP hardware, and AP1 cars can't be upgraded to AP2. (Actually they probably can be, but Tesla said it is cost prohibitive with all of the new wiring to run.)