Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st week with Tesla 3, quality control issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are going to take my hard earned $100K or even $50K, they better work hard for it.

I agree with you, but your way of thinking is probably in the minority. There's no shortage of people, at this time, who live by the "In Elon we trust" mantra, who are happily being "early adopters" and "beta testers" for everything Tesla, who will happily pay for promised features that have no realistic chance of becoming reality within the "Elon" timeframe. QC issues, even after all these years, are considered acceptable "growing pains". When Tesla sees that these people vastly outnumber people like you, there's no incentive to change a thing.

I figure Tesla is about to go through some serious growing pains in the field. They likely have a growth plan based on registrations of the M3 alone to know where they need bigger and more service centers. I just hold out good hope that this problem is handled quickly and right. Only a few days time will tell. I looked at some of their job postings the other day and to be honest I figure they are going to have to pay more in the field to get good qualified people than the salary listings from Glassdoor and other places showed.
They've been ramping up over the last year (and continue to do so). They've also partnered with some community colleges to create training courses for mechanics. It appears they're paying attention - though there will undoubtedly be growing pains, they haven't ignored the issue.
COCC To Partner With Tesla Motors

I've assumed (but don't know this for a fact), that the reason so many Model X were shipped directly to service centers for completion, was to 1) expand bandwidth in the factory, 2) take advantage of the new mechanics hired who were basically idling until Model 3 shipments ramped, and 3) use it as an opportunity to train new-to-Tesla mechanics, within a smaller environment.

Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
I had to take my week old Model 3 in to a service center today because the turn signals would not activate on the screen. The hazard lights would not either. They had me in a loaner car within 10 minutes but hopefully they figure it out fairly quickly. They said this was the first issue they have seen like this and this is a Los Angeles service center.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Have you given them a heads up that this part needs replacement? If not, I'd give them a call and make sure they know to have a new glass roof in stock. That will substantially lower the probability that you'll show up & find out they have to order the replacement part. (I'd also call the day before and make sure the replacement part had arrived. Because regardless of whose responsibility this is, I'd be the one inconvenienced if I showed up and the part wasn't there.)
Yes I spoke to them and told them the issues and said to make sure the parts are there. On the MX i had a loaner for 3 weeks one time since the parts were out of stock. I'd hope to get it turned around quickly.

:D

Reactions: bonnie
Then I expect this when I pick up my M3 and nothing less
articlesh_51084973-transformed.jpg

3 days ago, 3rd time driving the car, i noticed a 16 inch and growing crack on the sun glass above the driver side. Mind you, the car has 87 miles in total of driving.
You are definitely not the first with the cracked roof. I remember another post on reddit that was quoted here on TMC in the deliveries.
It is kinda scary, especially after you run out of warranty. Wondering if there needs to be any trigger for this like a rock from a car upfront or it's related to an original defect in the glass and is bound to manifest early. Ask Tesla about this if you get a chance.

Absurd.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/others will absolutely offer concierge and white glove service if something like this happens, even if it's on their $50,000 "entry level" cars.

And frankly these things like a scratch on the main screen or a broken glass roof never should have passed inspection.

Stop making apologies and excuses for Tesla when this stuff happens.
I wish someone would have told my BMW dealer about this when I had my $50k BMW in for numerous service visits.

While not "white glove" service, I've had my <$35K 2000 E46 in numerous times into Mountain View BMW (née Allison BMW) over the years and have always received a loaner. If I schedule early enough in the morning, it's been a 1 or 3 series. Even got an i3 once (would never buy one). If too late for a BMW loaner, they have a deal with Enterprise and they shuttle you over there, about 2 miles away. You simply drop off the loaner when you pick your car up. They always wash the car (but not vacuum), except the one time when their wash bay was down. I didn't even buy the car from them.

Reactions: C141medic
While not "white glove" service, I've had my <$35K 2000 E46 in numerous times into Mountain View BMW (née Allison BMW) over the years and have always received a loaner. If I schedule early enough in the morning, it's been a 1 or 3 series. Even got an i3 once (would never buy one). If too late for a BMW loaner, they have a deal with Enterprise and they shuttle you over there, about 2 miles away. You simply drop off the loaner when you pick your car up. They always wash the car (but not vacuum), except the one time when their wash bay was down. I didn't even buy the car from them.
Wait, that's not normal downmarket from BWM, too? I've been getting a complementary wash since.....I want to say my mid-90's Saturn, first time I ever owned a vehicle as first owner. Before that I had POS cars that didn't ever see a dealership maintenance, maintenance and fixes were either extreme budget or DIY.

Last edited:
Absurd.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/others will absolutely offer concierge and white glove service if something like this happens, even if it's on their $50,000 "entry level" cars.

And frankly these things like a scratch on the main screen or a broken glass roof never should have passed inspection.

Stop making apologies and excuses for Tesla when this stuff happens.
But... but.. but... they are an early stage company just trying to do the right thing by accelerating us toward sustainable transport! Elon's trying hard and that's all that should matter, quality control be darned. Tesla can do no wrong!

Or maybe this is just one of those things that early adopters should've expected to deal with, much like how those of us who lined up to reserve a $35k Tesla should've known that we'd be waiting for the vehicle for YEARS and likely miss out on the full federal tax credit while current owners and those willing to pay $50k+ for a "mass market" car reaped the benefit of the full tax credit (yet again), right?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DieAbetic
The real issue, IMO, here is MUCH bigger. This is the SAME KIND OF STUFF Tesla Model S and X owners have been posting about for YEARS now. Tesla just doesn't seem to be "maturing" in this area at any kind of rapid pace. Sadly, it isn't surprising. Closing the gap (not pun intended) on these types of issues is that last 20% that takes 80% of the effort. THIS is where other automakers may very well have an edge over Tesla...having your service centers "finish" cars isn't realistic with any higher volume offering. Tick, tock, Tesla....tick, tock.

Reactions: cwerdna and xanatos
What you get on every (car) forum is a bias towards complaints and problems. Somehow, despite some folks having problems with service, even some cases that should never have happened by any reasonable standard, Tesla is still the highest rated brand by owner satisfaction, according to the Consumer Reports survey. They must be doing something right most of the time. Many of the luxury brands didn't do that well, either (BMW-15th place, Lexus-18, Mercedes-22, Cadillac-26). Clearly Tesla can and should improve, especially in the communication department, but let's not draw too many conclusions from anecdotal evidence.

I 2) take advantage of the new mechanics hired who were basically idling until Model 3 shipments ramped, and 3) use it as an opportunity to train new-to-Tesla mechanics, within a smaller environment.

Whaaaat! " take advantage of new mechanics" to finish manufacturing a $100K vehicle? opportunity to train? I seriously hope you are not correct about this. The focus is on " the machine that makes the machine" IIRC

Reactions: snakeopus121
What you get on every (car) forum is a bias towards complaints and problems. Somehow, despite some folks having problems with service, even some cases that should never have happened by any reasonable standard, Tesla is still the highest rated brand by owner satisfaction, according to the Consumer Reports survey. They must be doing something right most of the time. Many of the luxury brands didn't do that well, either (BMW-15th place, Lexus-18, Mercedes-22, Cadillac-26). Clearly Tesla can and should improve, especially in the communication department, but let's not draw too many conclusions from anecdotal evidence.

On the flip side, I highly suspect that the satisfaction rating is heavily biased by the ho-lee-fudgebar-Im-driving-a-motherhugging-sun-powered-spaceship factor.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 7.05.59 PM.png

The Oatmeal, not quite safe for work.

On the flip side, I highly suspect that the satisfaction rating is heavily biased by the ho-lee-fudgebar-Im-driving-a-motherhugging-sun-powered-spaceship factor.
Sure, but that doesn't make it less legitimate. People can be satisfied by whatever floats their boat. Doing less to destroy the planet seems pretty legit to me. I can't even really imagine wanting an ICE anymore, even though I still have two (both will be gone this year). To be clear, an EV still has to be a great car for me to want it, just not perfect. The downside of burning fossil fuels pretty much ruins every other positive aspect of a car.