Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st week with Tesla 3, quality control issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but that doesn't make it less legitimate. People can be satisfied by whatever floats their boat. Doing less to destroy the planet seems pretty legit to me. I can't even really imagine wanting an ICE anymore, even though I still have two (both will be gone this year). To be clear, an EV still has to be a great car for me to want it, just not perfect. The downside of burning fossil fuels pretty much ruins every other positive aspect of a car.
I get that, I even initially had a line in my post to that effect. I took it out of my post because it occurred to me that the context here is "QC" and "service", the point that that satisfaction surveys is likely a problematic measurement of those particular aspects of Tesla still stands.

Last edited:
Whaaaat! " take advantage of new mechanics" to finish manufacturing a $100K vehicle? opportunity to train? I seriously hope you are not correct about this. The focus is on " the machine that makes the machine" IIRC
Of course that's the focus. And what I said had nothing to do with the Model 3, but rather the Model X. This forum is full of stories of service centers holding deliveries as they did a bit more to get the X ready for customers.

If you had to train a large number of new people for service centers, assuming a tsunami of cars in the future as the Model 3 ramps, how would you go about training them? And once you've hired all these people, what would you have them working on?

Clearly it was not a permanent situation, but to me, makes a lot of sense as they bridged from 'only enough to cover Roadster, S, X' to adding the Model 3 to the mix.

As I said, I have no direct knowledge of this - but if I were having to accomplish being fully staffed for cars yet to come, that scenario would be a possibility.

Got my 3 back from the SC tonight. I've documented my issues on this thread here:
For the TLDR folks:
  • Rear seat to be replaced (2 month wait)
  • Windscreen replaced
  • Front Calipers replaced
  • Sunken Hood realigned

Turns out they scratched the $%ˆ# out of the hood and front fenders re-aligning the frunk hood, so it will be going back again. To the SCs credit, they have not fought any of it, but so they shouldn't.

I agree with you, but your way of thinking is probably in the minority. There's no shortage of people, at this time, who live by the "In Elon we trust" mantra, who are happily being "early adopters" and "beta testers" for everything Tesla, who will happily pay for promised features that have no realistic chance of becoming reality within the "Elon" timeframe. QC issues, even after all these years, are considered acceptable "growing pains". When Tesla sees that these people vastly outnumber people like you, there's no incentive to change a thing.
Seriously? Are you just on here to troll? Your statement sounds ridiculous. Please don't waste our time with this nonsense.

Absurd.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/others will absolutely offer concierge and white glove service if something like this happens, even if it's on their $50,000 "entry level" cars.

And frankly these things like a scratch on the main screen or a broken glass roof never should have passed inspection.

Stop making apologies and excuses for Tesla when this stuff happens.
Haha, I wish! My wife at best had latex glove service from Audi.

There was no concierge, and out of the three rentals she had during her water pump replacements, one was a Chrystler 200 that literally stalled halfway through an intersection and another was an A4 that burned so much oil the warning light came on after a couple days.

• Funny
Reactions: m34me
the current market pressure isn't requiring them to do so.

Traditional auto dealers from the same manufacturer are in many ways selling a commodity, so one of the ways they can differentiate themselves is through the level of high-touch service/attention they provide to their customers -- or at least the level to which they promise/advertise said service. But with Tesla Stores and online sales, if you want a Tesla then you work with Tesla.

This is a short-sighted POV : Jaguar and Audi have EVs coming out this year, Mercedes and Porsche will follow in 2019 and if you aren't looking for a car from a luxury brand, you can get an all electric GM, Renault, Nissan or an Hyundai, too. )

Today, Tesla's (promise of) AutoPilot and SuperCharger network still make the difference, but it's not sure this will last beyond 2020 (at least not in Europe). If Tesla alienates too many of its current owners, including those getting a Model 3 now, this will influence people when making a purchase decision in late 2019 or thereafter - once your reputation is damaged, it's hard to win back trust

Let's put it this way: I planned to replace my model S in September 2019 and if the Model S has not advanced by then, I might be going back to Jaguar or move to another luxury brand... when deciding, service and availability of parts will be a part of my analysis...

Tusken_Raiders_hiding1-300x283.jpg

This is a short-sighted POV : Jaguar and Audi have EVs coming out this year, Mercedes and Porsche will follow in 2019 and if you aren't looking for a car from a luxury brand, you can get an all electric GM, Renault, Nissan or an Hyundai, too. )

Today, Tesla's (promise of) AutoPilot and SuperCharger network still make the difference, but it's not sure this will last beyond 2020 (at least not in Europe). If Tesla alienates too many of its current owners, including those getting a Model 3 now, this will influence people when making a purchase decision in late 2019 or thereafter - once your reputation is damaged, it's hard to win back trust

Let's put it this way: I planned to replace my model S in September 2019 and if the Model S has not advanced by then, I might be going back to Jaguar or move to another luxury brand... when deciding, service and availability of parts will be a part of my analysis...

I think you are right that there will be more competition, but there is still no evidence that any of the car manufacturers are doing anything meaningful for charging infrastructure in the U.S.. Porsche proudly announced that they will be providing supercharging capability at their 189 dealerships - but that is a big so what! The Tesla Supercharger network is such an integral part of the Tesla experience that I can't imagine using an electric car for anything beyond very local driving without it. With the network - I will and have confidently taken my car anywhere in the U.S.

• Love
Reactions: C141medic
I don't know what concierge service is, but I can tell you that over the last two years Tesla has always given me VIP service on both my Model X and Model 3. Always over and above.
Concierge is when they pickup the tesla and leave me a rental car. When it’s done they drop off the tesla and take the rental back. It beats having to go into the service center.

They’ve always done that for the x but even the x now they say too busy.

What car do they loan you when 3 is in service ? S or 3 ?

In the 5-6 times I've had to take my model X to my SC, I've never gotten a tesla. Always an ICE rental. they do cover the gas though. It's ranged from Hyundai to Infiniti to jaguar... On the bright side it reminded me why tesla is so awesome (when it's working).

Got my 3 back from the SC tonight. I've documented my issues on this thread here:
For the TLDR folks:
  • Rear seat to be replaced (2 month wait)
  • Windscreen replaced
  • Front Calipers replaced
  • Sunken Hood realigned

Turns out they scratched the $%ˆ# out of the hood and front fenders re-aligning the frunk hood, so it will be going back again. To the SCs credit, they have not fought any of it, but so they shouldn't.

Something like this happens every time I take mine in. I Get a new scratch or oil stain on the inside... Sigh...

I've been previously hands down planning to get model 3 but with quality issues in reading here, I've been eyeing volvo xc40 especially if they really release the fully electric version at a competitive price.

I got the Latex glove treatment from BMW from my E36 M3. The dealer was eventually purchased by Penske, then it was just the treatment. Never would call it concierge.

We have a BMW and an Audi and their dealerships have never provided "concierge" level service. The only thing that separates the luxury dealerships than your Toyota or Honda dealership is the waiting area is much nicer. Note I have not had issues with either, but I think folks are going a little overboard in their comparisons here.

The Tesla Supercharger network is such an integral part of the Tesla experience that I can't imagine using an electric car for anything beyond very local driving without it. With the network - I will and have confidently taken my car anywhere in the U.S.
Totally agree with the first sentence (see my sig). But how can one manage most of North Dakota/NE Montana (and return) on only super/destination chargers? Those are pretty much out of range of any Tesla (maybe by driving about 10mph the whole way lol).