Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st week with Tesla 3, quality control issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the T3 one week ago.

Upon pickup, i noticed the main screen was scratched on the bezel. This should have been caught prior to delivery and save me 2 trips to pick up drop off the T3 for repair.

3 days ago, 3rd time driving the car, i noticed a 16 inch and growing crack on the sun glass above the driver side. Mind you, the car has 87 miles in total of driving. It does feel like the curved glass was not adhered properly or was stressed.

I'm scheduled for servicing in 2 weeks. I hope this is not a long wait fiasco similar to the X's waiting for parts.

It seems Tesla is overwhelmed and the staff cannot keep up. The quality of service has dropped from when I had the X.

No more concierge service as well.

btn.jpg

LA area will be swamped for a long time since they are the first the get deliveries.

Dont expect the concierge service on the entry level car.

Overall do you have any positives to share?

Absurd.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/others will absolutely offer concierge and white glove service if something like this happens, even if it's on their $50,000 "entry level" cars.

And frankly these things like a scratch on the main screen or a broken glass roof never should have passed inspection.

Stop making apologies and excuses for Tesla when this stuff happens.

LA area will be swamped for a long time since they are the first the get deliveries.

I don't expect conceirge service for the T3 normally, but did think it should be something that they handled for this case since it was damaged off the bat. The scratch is quite apparaent on the bezel. Just a lot of time involved when it could have been handled prior to pick up.

Really? No concierge service for a 60K car. Would hardly consider that “entry level.” Even Volvo gives you concierge service with their new XC40 which I believe starts at 35K. Just my 2 cents.

Gah! That’s pretty bad! Hope Tesla takes care of it and doesn’t just tell you to file a claim with your insurance.
I’m sure Tesla will take care of it but does anyone know if insurance would cover this under comprehensive coverage as a windshield replacement? I’m not sure but I don’t believe they cover sunfroof’s so curious how they would classify the all glass roof?

Reactions: Pkmmte
I’m sure Tesla will take care of it but does anyone know if insurance would cover this under comprehensive coverage as a windshield replacement? I’m not sure but I don’t believe they cover sunfroof’s so curious how they would classify the all glass roof?
Drawing on my lifetime experience with insurance underwriters and adjustors, it'd go roughly like this:

"Is it the windshield? No? Get stuffed." ;)

Absurd.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes/others will absolutely offer concierge and white glove service if something like this happens, even if it's on their $50,000 "entry level" cars.

I totally agree. Tesla really needs to step up on this. I received far better customer service and attention at Lexus and BMW dealerships. In my opinion, Tesla customer service and sales are at Toyota dealership level, may be slightly better. I felt like I was purchasing an iphone when I purchased MS. Buying a $100K iPhone from Apple store sales guy. $57K M3 is definitely NOT an entry level car and we should expect concierge and white glove services.

3 days ago, 3rd time driving the car, i noticed a 16 inch and growing crack on the sun glass above the driver side. Mind you, the car has 87 miles in total of driving. It does feel like the curved glass was not adhered properly or was stressed.

I'm scheduled for servicing in 2 weeks. I hope this is not a long wait fiasco similar to the X's waiting for parts.

Have you given them a heads up that this part needs replacement? If not, I'd give them a call and make sure they know to have a new glass roof in stock. That will substantially lower the probability that you'll show up & find out they have to order the replacement part. (I'd also call the day before and make sure the replacement part had arrived. Because regardless of whose responsibility this is, I'd be the one inconvenienced if I showed up and the part wasn't there.)

Last edited:
This is not meant as a statement on whether Tesla /should/ be providing more of a "white-glove" or "concierge" service -- but frankly the current market pressure isn't requiring them to do so.

Traditional auto dealers from the same manufacturer are in many ways selling a commodity, so one of the ways they can differentiate themselves is through the level of high-touch service/attention they provide to their customers -- or at least the level to which they promise/advertise said service. But with Tesla Stores and online sales, if you want a Tesla then you work with Tesla.

In this way, the comparison to purchasing an iPhone from an Apple Store is more applicable than you might originally think.

I figure Tesla is about to go through some serious growing pains in the field. They likely have a growth plan based on registrations of the M3 alone to know where they need bigger and more service centers. I just hold out good hope that this problem is handled quickly and right. Only a few days time will tell. I looked at some of their job postings the other day and to be honest I figure they are going to have to pay more in the field to get good qualified people than the salary listings from Glassdoor and other places showed.