Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DDrawer

Mar 25, 2019
PA
I know a few people around here use this rack. I've seen mixed feed back that it does or does not fit well on the Model Y. I'm really interested in this rack because I only need to carry one bike, and the ability to add modules in the future if I need to is appealing. So it looks like I can get a quality rack for a great price (being that I will be getting just the single rack option), just so long as it fits the Y well.

If you own this rack, how does it work with the Y?

Reactions: Suns_PSD and brinox
I know a few people around here use this rack. I've seen mixed feed back that it does or does not fit well on the Model Y. I'm really interested in this rack because I only need to carry one bike, and the ability to add modules in the future if I need to is appealing. So it looks like I can get a quality rack for a great price (being that I will be getting just the single rack option), just so long as it fits the Y well.

If you own this rack, how does it work with the Y?

I own the Quik Rack single with an add-on permanently mounted, and have had it for about 3 years now. I recently bought the 2 inch receiver/sideplate combo to upgrade this rack to be 2-inch compatible with the Torklift hitch for the Y. I already have that too and did some measurements.

The bike rack itself is nothing short of perfection and simplicity when it comes to transporting bikes. I really like how fast and easy it is to drop one or two bikes onto the rack and then get to driving wherever. I also bought the pull handle since I've got the two trays going permanently. The mounting pressure being on the tires is very pleasing and defeats the worry of fit and finish when transporting bikes, unlike some other racks that may rub against the frame/brake calipers... If I didn't have a tray rack already, I would easily buy the Equip D model that 1up has. It's a very good evolution of the original Quik Rack design, with an integrated pull handle. Also, get at least one Wheel Saver for each front wheel that you plan to mount. Likewise, the hitch bar stop might be a good time-saver investment, getting the right depth every time you mount the bike rack.

As for fitment on the Y, its going to be super tight without an extender but I really don't want the extender [at all]. 1up says that the rack tongue needs to be inserted at least 4 inches into the receiver, and I measured that 3.5-3.75 inches inserted will work with the rack in the up position. ~3.75 inches inserted looks to be almost touching the lift gate when the rack is in the fully upright position. I don't have my Model Y yet, so I can't really say for certain. I'm just using measurements others have posted about the 1up rack and Torklift receiver combination.

So it seems like you can't fit the rack with the recommended 4 inches into the receiver without an extender, am I reading that correctly?
It sounds like they have a 1.25” with adapter to 2”. I have the 1Up Heavy Duty or Super Duty Double (not sure which) which is a 2” rack to begin with and the instructions say that the rack needs to be inserted so that the securing ball is at least two inches into the hitch receiver. I just tried this last night and it did meet this requirement. I think it was about a half-inch or so more than two inches. In other words, it fit fine leaving enough off a gap for the rack in the closed, upright (no bikes) position. And two mountain bikes loaded in the horizontal position were completely fine since of course the Model Y rear slopes down so much.

So, no extender required for the 1Up 2” native models.

DDE892E4-210E-45ED-A3E0-25FC3F9C3469.jpeg

I can add another pic later today to show the rack folded up against the Y.

Last edited:
It sounds like they have a 1.25” with adapter to 2”. I have a the 1Up Heavy Duty Double which is 2” to begin with and the instructions say that the rack needs to be inserted so that the securing ball is at least two inches into the hitch receiver. I just tried this last night and it did meet this requirement. I think it was about a half-inch or so more than two inches. In other words, it fit fine leaving enough off a gap for the rack in the closed, upright (no bikes) position. And two mountain bikes loaded in the horizontal position were completely fine since of course the Model Y rear slopes down so much.

So, no extender required for the 1Up 2” native models.

I know there has been another picture posted with the 1up rack in the upright position on the Y, but would you be willing to post a sideview shot with the rack in the fully upright position, showing how much clearance there is?

With the Quik Rack, it has a 1.25 inch receiver that an L piece of steel screw to in order to make it a 2inch. So it isn't a 1.25 to 2 inch extension type adapter (which would add length to the set up).

upload_2020-7-8_11-13-20.png

If the Quik rack fits, I'd like to go with that option. If not, I would just step up to the newer design Equip D rack. It's a $130-$160 premium over the Quick rack though which IMO isn't worth it for the new features, but probably would be worth it rather than wrestling with the Quik rack if it doesn't readily fit the MY.

The Equip D also has the same 1.25 to 2 inch L bar piece, but the whole rack seems to side further away from the receiver due to it's new tilting mechanism.

upload_2020-7-8_11-15-11.png

Reactions: Daekwan
FWIW, I have a USA 1UP double tray that I love. It is a 1.25" and I lost that "L piece" years ago, so I had to get the 2" to 1.25" extension. I got mine from USA 1UP. It came with a lock...which is unusable due to space limitations. This is actually a Curt product that you can get directly from them. Overall, this set up has worked fine and I appreciate the 7 1/2" extension. Happy trails!

Okay, here are the promised pictures. I marked in the mount how far I pushed it in to still have clearance in the upright position. I should add that, when secured, there is no movement of the rack relative to the car.

1Up’s diagram shows that the back of the securing ball should be at least 2” in – it ends up just a little further in:

77F5A48F-3352-4E7C-8563-3FC5187482A6.jpeg
E55DE05C-9911-45E6-9858-E6DE4D0BDA87.jpeg
450816D5-56CC-4FAD-9C0C-547CAEA8C4BC.jpeg
E97DBF98-2D40-40CE-B4BF-C6A52295E278.jpeg
177A5327-9C9A-4B66-BA36-18268DD7315E.jpeg
C77F899C-10FF-4639-BB76-F9179CF4E251.jpeg
96D54718-B138-430B-8A1D-7E2D868EB676.jpeg
F07B9592-F4DC-44BF-886D-441F2ECA95F0.jpeg

Okay, here are the promised pictures. I marked in the mount how far I pushed it in to still have clearance in the upright position. I should add that, when secured, there is no movement of the rack relative to the car.

1Up’s diagram shows that the back of the securing ball should be at least 2” in – it ends up just a little further in:

You sir, are AWESOME. thanks for posting all these for us.

Okay cool so it looks like it just barely fits. Does the hatch open when the bikes are in the tilted down position?

This is just a guess, but that is going to depend on how long the handlebars are from the closest bike obviously. However, the Model Y hatch doesn't extend too far rearward when opening. My guess would be about a 12in/30cm horizontally. Chances are you won't have a clearance issue unless you put motorcycle chopper arms on your bike

I agree it looks too close. I have the 1Up Single Heavy Duty rack that I used on my M3 with the EcoHitch installed. I purchased the 2” extension from 1Up to use with my MY. I just got it today and haven’t tried it yet. However, after looking at how close that is to the car, I’m glad I purchased the extension. The 1UP is a great bike rake and the quickest ever to load/unload bikes by yourself. Quality product.

Reactions: oxtox
When it's folded, it's uncomfortably close to the rear bumper and hatch.
Well, as I mentioned above, I couldn’t cause any flex in the rack relative to the body of the car. It’s very solid. I don’t think it will be able to make contact with the body in the folded position. However, I never drive around with an empty rack anyway so it’s not a concern for me.

In fact, I usually load our bikes inside the vehicle to keep them truly safe, even with my Model 3 that the Y is meant to replace. (Yup, two mtn bikes in the 3, though definitely not as easy as my old RAV4 EV.) The rack is just for times when the car is loaded up with other stuff. I don’t like having my bikes hanging out in the open like that, particularly if we’ll be stopping at a restaurant. And they get completely smothered in dirt out there on dirt roads so that you have to clean the chain and derailleurs and all before you can ride.

Now the bikes do easily flex in the rack while driving down the highway, not surprisingly. I just have to take care to position the two bikes relative to each other so that they won’t strike (handlebars vs seat posts, etc).

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
@marym23 The 2" extension solves problem above. However, the hitch extension lowers tongue weight from 350 lb. (?) to 175 lb. talking to 1upUSA (50% reduction). For a four bike system, it leaves me with 23 lb. maximum per bike.
See my post above for the other option of keeping it folded in the middle “extra clearance” position.