Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree it looks too close. I have the 1Up Single Heavy Duty rack that I used on my M3 with the EcoHitch installed. I purchased the 2” extension from 1Up to use with my MY. I just got it today and haven’t tried it yet. However, after looking at how close that is to the car, I’m glad I purchased the extension. The 1UP is a great bike rake and the quickest ever to load/unload bikes by yourself. Quality product.

I agree. Glad I got my extension. BTW, that Super duty looks sweet!

See my post above for the other option of keeping it folded in the middle “extra clearance” position.
@Incredulocious You are golden! Thanks for posting the instructions for all to see. (a) The tip to use the "extra clearance" is very helpful. Any 1upUSA rack is good to go on a Model Y. (b) The 2" minimum insertion on the instructions agrees with 1upUSA which I spoke to earlier today. I wonder what the 4.3" dimension is all about. For this to work, the 3.1" maximum dimension would have to be based on the instructions, and the 4.3" dimension to be the least material condition for fabrication. This would allow the manufacturer allowance to grow the length. Makes sense now.

Last edited:
@Incredulocious Thanks for the photos. The fitment guide says 4.3" minimum.

View attachment 562452
@marym23 The 2" extension solves problem above. However, the hitch extension lowers tongue weight from 350 lb. (?) to 175 lb. talking to 1upUSA (50% reduction). For a four bike system, it leaves me with 23 lb. maximum per bike.

That's a bummer but since I only have the single bike, I'm good. I just don't want the rack that close to my vehicle. When I had it on my M3, I was folding it up, and had it hit my bumper because of user error. So I'll going to use the extender. BTW, that little square tongue attachment they have works great. It makes sure you have it inserted far enough every time without having to measure or worry that you didn't get it in deep enough. For someone like me that worries about that stuff, it is a life saver.

I got my hitch put on yesterday, and tested out the 1 up quik rack. It fits just fine in my opinion, and I love the rack. I measured 2 inches of depth to the center of the mounting ball and marked it. Looks to have a couple MM of clearance between the bumper black plastic and the bottom of the rack when in the storage position, and plenty of clearance between the white paint and the top of the rack. The hatch has a ton of space to clear the rack when in the down position. Here are some pics

upload_2020-7-28_10-15-50.png

upload_2020-7-28_10-16-11.png

upload_2020-7-28_10-16-29.png

upload_2020-7-28_10-16-48.png

I got my hitch put on yesterday, and tested out the 1 up quik rack. It fits just fine in my opinion, and I love the rack. I measured 2 inches of depth to the center of the mounting ball and marked it. Looks to have a couple MM of clearance between the bumper black plastic and the bottom of the rack when in the storage position, and plenty of clearance between the white paint and the top of the rack. The hatch has a ton of space to clear the rack when in the down position. Here are some pics

View attachment 569865
View attachment 569866
View attachment 569867
View attachment 569868
That's the rack I'm most looking at getting, but that clearance when in the storage position scares me. I probably will get the extension to move it out more from the bumper, but it's still unlikely that the hatch will clear in the storage position. Given how the 1ups fold and are lightweight, my thought is to remove it except when actually transporting bikes.

So another question, since I would be transporting bikes on long road trips, is security. What do y'all do when Supercharging or eating on the road?

Have you tried driving with it while the rack and/or bikes are on? I have mine installed but haven't had the chance to get a bike on there to see how the sensors work without having the software-enabled tow features.

I have the software enabled tow features, but I suspect you wouldn't use tow mode when using a bike rack because it would disable auto pilot. Without tow mode enabled, it will most likely behave exactly the same as the after market hitch and flag the sensors. Hopefully the release a "rack mode" of some sort some day. I haven't driven with my bike on yet, but I'll report back when I do.

Trying to make a decision about which one of these to get. I don't really need the additional weight of the Super Duty, so that leaves the Heavy Duty and the Equip-D in 2-bike layout. I like the easier lever on the back of the Equip-D, but otherwise don't see much difference. The comparison chart on their site doesn't make much of an argument for the $110 more expensive Equip-D. Am I missing something?

I'll probably take it on an off as necessary. I don't have room in the garage to leave it on all the time.

Okay, here are the promised pictures. I marked in the mount how far I pushed it in to still have clearance in the upright position. I should add that, when secured, there is no movement of the rack relative to the car.

1Up’s diagram shows that the back of the securing ball should be at least 2” in – it ends up just a little further in:

View attachment 562047 View attachment 562048 View attachment 562049 View attachment 562050 View attachment 562051 View attachment 562052 View attachment 562053 View attachment 562054
The photos are so helpful! Thank you.

I finally made a decision on this and put in an order for an Equip-D single with 2 add-ons, eventually supporting 2 adult + 1 child bikes. Looks like maybe delivery in late December or into January at this point. So that's pretty disappointing, but not many other racks are in stock right now either.

I finally made a decision on this and put in an order for an Equip-D single with 2 add-ons, eventually supporting 2 adult + 1 child bikes. Looks like maybe delivery in late December or into January at this point. So that's pretty disappointing, but not many other racks are in stock right now either.
Have you received your Equip-D? How are you liking it?

Timely post. I have the single bike quick rack that uses the 1.25” with adapter. Just placed my MY order with a hitch yesterday. Looks like it should work, but clearance when folded will be tight (which is nothing new).

Have you received your Equip-D? How are you liking it?
It's pretty nice, for sure. There are a couple minor issues:
  1. If you install to the minimum 2" depth suggested by 1Up, you can't really use the storage position. It's within maybe a mm or 2 of the bumper, so will almost certainly make contact over bumps. I've been installing to full depth and using the "more clearance" position instead. This might be an issue if you keep it installed.
  2. Needing to install the track screws every time you unfold them from the storage position gets tedious fast. None of 1Ups other racks have this requirement. I thought it would be ok, but the screws are a very tight fit and the tracks need extremely precise alignment for the screw to go in. Of the ~15 minutes the rack takes to install, lining up and installing those screws is probably 10+ minutes of it. So this is an issue if you don't keep it installed.
Otherwise, the rack is great. Very high quality, easy to use. I got the single with 2 add-ons, and have used it with 1, 2, and 3 bikes installed. Overall pretty happy with it.

Now I just wish the hitch cover was easier to remove.

Attachments

• 2020-11-26 12.22.05.jpg
    2020-11-26 12.22.05.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 2020-11-26 12.23.13.jpg
    2020-11-26 12.23.13.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 348
So I am likely ordering a Super Duty single. I like that I can add a second bike add-on later. For those that have one, it appears the hitch extender is a good idea, correct? Pics without it looked pretty close the bumper for me. Just hoping the extender does not mean it juts out too far. Thoughts?

Definitely going with one of these racks once I have my hitch installed.

Assuming if I go with Equip-D it will fit as well or better than what DDrawer showed with the Quick Rack?

if you get the equip-d buy the extension from them. It will fit without the extension but when folded up the tailgate will not clear the rack if you accidentally open it. The tailgate will clear the rack with the extension

Reactions: MrWattson