Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I actually have that style pin from my predecessor car/rack system but the pin diameter is too big. I guess I could consider the cotter pin idea, however I thought the security of the lock would be advantageous.
Well, there is a sort of locking mechanism - there is a screw that you tighten after putting on the rack that minimizes the movement of the rack in the hitch. You use a special allen wrench-style tool to tighten a pad that presses against the inside of the hitch receiver. It's a specific size so in addition to securing the rack in the receiver, it also serves as a lock of sorts.

Have hitch! Will travel! But the locking pin won’t fit around the electrical trailer - fits but can’t insert or remove key, so wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what kind of locking pin they used for the pre installed Tesla’s hitch?
I love the 1UP rack and it works just fine on our MY. It's close but it works. The pin is a challenge and I tried this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GN6YS2/
I'm now going to look for a bolt/cotter pin, hoping that's easier to get on/off in the tight space. Or maybe something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHBYVYS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4 (I'm not concerned about locking the rack - if needed I have a cable lock for the bikes.)
Any other suggestions out there? Thanks!

I love the 1UP rack and it works just fine on our MY. It's close but it works. The pin is a challenge and I tried this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GN6YS2/
I'm now going to look for a bolt/cotter pin, hoping that's easier to get on/off in the tight space. Or maybe something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHBYVYS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4 (I'm not concerned about locking the rack - if needed I have a cable lock for the bikes.)
Thanks for that post. I did call 1Up and they said in about a month they will have the correct right angle locking pin. In the meantime there is an inexpensive albeit smaller diameter right angle pin at Pep Boys...I’ll see if it’s the correct length.

Reactions: MrWattson
I ordered the 2” hitch extender from 1up and tried it out. My intent was to leave the extender installed permanently, and just remove the 1up from the extender when I wasn’t using the rack. I installed the extender at the 5” setting. I have mixed feelings about it so far...

Positives:
- You can open the hatch with the rack in vertical storage position
- More room between bikes and the hatch means less potential for scratching the tesla paint when loading my bike or hitting crazy bumps
- Can install the rack into receiver at full depth
- Much easier to put on the 1up lock for rack

Negatives:
- Less weight capacity
- The hitch extender comes with a lock but it can’t be used, there is no room unless I can somehow move the hitch harness plug out of the way
- It maybe sticks out too much to leave the extender on permanently

Attachments

• CD8E0F2F-70D6-4184-96C0-729D5359140B.jpeg
    CD8E0F2F-70D6-4184-96C0-729D5359140B.jpeg
    445 KB · Views: 450
  • 9DD899D4-0B4B-421C-A43A-2B89AB2DC58F.jpeg
    9DD899D4-0B4B-421C-A43A-2B89AB2DC58F.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 795A0E18-4794-481F-B066-B6B5263C0C70.jpeg
    795A0E18-4794-481F-B066-B6B5263C0C70.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 262
  • 5F95D05A-BA3D-48CE-A2D9-67A39D4A4D06.jpeg
    5F95D05A-BA3D-48CE-A2D9-67A39D4A4D06.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 324
I ordered the 2” hitch extender from 1up and tried it out. My intent was to leave the extender installed permanently, and just remove the 1up from the extender when I wasn’t using the rack. I installed the extender at the 5” setting. I have mixed feelings about it so far...

Positives:
- You can open the hatch with the rack in vertical storage position
- More room between bikes and the hatch means less potential for scratching the tesla paint when loading my bike or hitting crazy bumps
- Can install the rack into receiver at full depth
- Much easier to put on the 1up lock for rack

Negatives:
- Less weight capacity
- The hitch extender comes with a lock but it can’t be used, there is no room unless I can somehow move the hitch harness plug out of the way
- It maybe sticks out too much to leave the extender on permanently
Does that have the extender and hitch pushed in as far as possible? Sticks pretty far out. I have the same setup arriving tomorrow to try.

I got a bent pin from McMaster and it works great - $2.75 plus shipping. McMaster-Carr

Reactions: Blaiwesk
Does that have the extender and hitch pushed in as far as possible? Sticks pretty far out. I have the same setup arriving tomorrow to try.
Yes both extender and rack are pushed in as far as possible. Only way to push the extender in further would be to drill and tap a new hole, and only way to push the rack in further would be to cut off the end to make it shorter.

I recently received my heavy duty 1up rack and it came with a locking pin. However the locking pin was too long to fit in the hole around the Model Y receiver. I couldn't find anything on Amazon that would work. I called 1up, and they've designed a special locking pin for the Model Y. They're shipping it out free of charge.

So if you're ordering a 1up rack, ask for the special locking pin.

I recently received my heavy duty 1up rack and it came with a locking pin. However the locking pin was too long to fit in the hole around the Model Y receiver. I couldn't find anything on Amazon that would work. I called 1up, and they've designed a special locking pin for the Model Y. They're shipping it out free of charge.

So if you're ordering a 1up rack, ask for the special locking pin.
Thanks for posting this. Just emailed 1up asking for the new locking pin.