Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to add here my experience with the 1UP Quik Rack. I've had it for around 5 years now. I love the thing. Only issue I've had with it is fading of the black. Some parts turning like a chocolate brown. Other than that, it's been on the Subaru since day 1, rain, snow, sun, etc.. thing is a beast!

Anybody have an opinion on why people are being the equipD double instead of just heavy duty/super duty? It seems as if the super and heavy work on RV's where as the EquipD does not. The Equip D is also more expensive.
I haven’t used the Equip D but the handle to raise and lower it when on the car looks a lot nicer than the super duty mechanism. I bought the super duty, and it’s a bit more compact when raised up which I prefer since it’s attached all the time, but it’s kind of a pain to fold up and down.

Reactions: jhams
I think part of the reason for the equipD design was to accommodate an even bigger range of bike and tire sizes.

This, and it's more of an 'upgrade' to the Heavy/Super Duty with accessories that are included with it, like the EZ-pull handle is now integrated into the EquipD where you have to mount it separately on the Heavy/Super Duty racks (although I found if you slip your hand in between the first 2 racks on a HD/SD double, it's easy to grab the release lever and lift or lower it), the ratcheting system is a little better on the EquipD but I like the handles better on the HD/SD, and the EquipD comes with the wider tire spacer kit already installed on the rack - good if you have a fat tire bike.

My friend recently got his EquipD Double and 2 add-on's, and I was checking it out compared to my SD Double with 2 add-on's as well. Quality-wise they're about the same but his EquipD is probably a little bit more "user friendly" when you just wanting to throw the rack onto the car and add the add-on's to it. If you leave both the EquipD double and the SD double in their 2-bike config only, then both are easy to mount onto the hitch. Weight is about the same but the EquipD double felt slightly easier than my to pick up & throw onto the car than my SD double because of it's design. However my SD feels much beefier & stronger and that's where it really shines. The bottom brace bars are wider & thicker on the HD & SD racks, which is why they have a better load rating for heavier bikes. When we both loaded up 4 mountain bikes, all averaging around the 26-32 lb range, my SD rack was rock solid on my car when driving around with it. With the EquipD, it was still pretty solid but I could see it bounding a bit more when going over the same bumps on the road. While I trust 1Up racks, I just feel more confident using my SD rack when I load up 4 MTB's (which I'm starting to do more often these days).

IMO, if you have a single bike or load up 2 bikes around the 25-35 lbs range, then any of their racks is great to use and I would personally buy a single rack and buy an add-on with it. If you're loading up a family of 4 bikes and want go on a road trip, I just feel more confident with the Super Duty double rack. So in the end, it really depends on what you plan on hauling with your bike rack.

This, and it's more of an 'upgrade' to the Heavy/Super Duty with accessories that are included with it, like the EZ-pull handle is now integrated into the EquipD where you have to mount it separately on the Heavy/Super Duty racks (although I found if you slip your hand in between the first 2 racks on a HD/SD double, it's easy to grab the release lever and lift or lower it), the ratcheting system is a little better on the EquipD but I like the handles better on the HD/SD, and the EquipD comes with the wider tire spacer kit already installed on the rack - good if you have a fat tire bike.

My friend recently got his EquipD Double and 2 add-on's, and I was checking it out compared to my SD Double with 2 add-on's as well. Quality-wise they're about the same but his EquipD is probably a little bit more "user friendly" when you just wanting to throw the rack onto the car and add the add-on's to it. If you leave both the EquipD double and the SD double in their 2-bike config only, then both are easy to mount onto the hitch. Weight is about the same but the EquipD double felt slightly easier than my to pick up & throw onto the car than my SD double because of it's design. However my SD feels much beefier & stronger and that's where it really shines. The bottom brace bars are wider & thicker on the HD & SD racks, which is why they have a better load rating for heavier bikes. When we both loaded up 4 mountain bikes, all averaging around the 26-32 lb range, my SD rack was rock solid on my car when driving around with it. With the EquipD, it was still pretty solid but I could see it bounding a bit more when going over the same bumps on the road. While I trust 1Up racks, I just feel more confident using my SD rack when I load up 4 MTB's (which I'm starting to do more often these days).

IMO, if you have a single bike or load up 2 bikes around the 25-35 lbs range, then any of their racks is great to use and I would personally buy a single rack and buy an add-on with it. If you're loading up a family of 4 bikes and want go on a road trip, I just feel more confident with the Super Duty double rack. So in the end, it really depends on what you plan on hauling with your bike rack.
Any reason you’d get the single with an add on instead of just getting a double? At the end of the day I need 2 bikes. Normal beach cruisers and mountain bikes. No extreme bikes or fat tire bikes.

Any reason you’d get the single with an add on instead of just getting a double? At the end of the day I need 2 bikes. Normal beach cruisers and mountain bikes. No extreme bikes or fat tire bikes.
If you frequently remove and install the carrier for your bike hauling, and you typically only need one bike, I would go with the single, simply because it's easier to manage due to weight and manuverability.

But, adding the add ons is cumbersome if you need 2 bikes with any relative frequency, say, 1 out of every 3 times, with the same use otherwise, the double will be less work.

Based on your notes, I would just go with the double, which is what I did, also.

If you frequently remove and install the carrier for your bike hauling, and you typically only need one bike, I would go with the single, simply because it's easier to manage due to weight and manuverability.

But, adding the add ons is cumbersome if you need 2 bikes with any relative frequency, say, 1 out of every 3 times, with the same use otherwise, the double will be less work.

Based on your notes, I would just go with the double, which is what I did, also.
Thanks for the feedback. In my case, I would be removing/installing every single time and would ALWAYS have double on it.

If I were the only one biking in my family, I would get a single rack for sure. Even if both my kids wanted to go biking with me (which they often do), then I would've still considered the single rack and getting 2 add-on's with it, for a 3-bike rack setup. However, my wife has biked with us in the past and took a break from it but is starting to go with us on more again on bike trails or wants to ride with us at the beach, so I had to get the double rack and run the 2 add-on's in order to get a 4-bike rack setup. I'd say about 90% of the time, I leave 1 add-on attached to my double rack (3-bike setup) since my kids are going with me more often than I go by myself, and I just throw the rack on & off as needed.

One benefit with the single rack is that on most cars it'll sit down by the bumper when folded upright, and also on most cars you can still open the rear hatch with it folded in the upright position. Good if you go biking a lot by yourself and don't want to keep mounting & unmounting the rack. Can't do that with a double rack, but then bolting on an add-on only takes a few minutes when you want to take more bikes, and then you're easily on your way.

Reactions: jhams

One thing to add about the Quik/Super/HD rack vs the Equip-D is that its supposedly much easier to unfold the legs and lock into place. I have seen numerous people complain about how long it takes to lineup the bolts and insert them into the Equip-D when installing the rack on a car. Many people have said it takes longer to lineup/install the locking bolts.. than it does to actually unfold the rack and attach it to the hitch.

It is for that reason alone.. I went with the black Quik-rack single instead of paying $100 more Equip-D. I also agree that everyone who has both reports the traditional model is more stable when driving because of its beefier design. That said Im sure both are fine to use and each have their pros/cons. This is the best video I've found showing both back to back:

Reactions: Watts_Up
Anyone out there leave the single quik rack on full time and in storage position? If so, is the only side effect the sensors? How annoying is it on a day to day basis? I have mine on my wife’s Subaru right now. But I’m the one that needs it. Rather drive my own car to the trailheads. (Car is at shop getting PPF and tint so I can’t test)

Anyone out there leave the single quik rack on full time and in storage position? If so, is the only side effect the sensors? How annoying is it on a day to day basis? I have mine on my wife’s Subaru right now. But I’m the one that needs it. Rather drive my own car to the trailheads. (Car is at shop getting PPF and tint so I can’t test)
I leave a single heavy duty on full time in the storage position. Sensors are by far the biggest downside. Mostly the annoying beeping when going in reverse. I’ve gotten used to the warnings when driving. Otherwise it’s pretty fine. Slightly in the way when using the trunk but minor.

Reactions: Marving11
FYI: I got to order mine last week, at about exactly 4 weeks after getting on the wait list and they just shipped it to me, arrives in a week. Their site said 6-8 weeks total, so well done 1UP!
Am very happy to be in a position to buy American and keep people employed here.
A nice little video showing them building and shipping our racks, with plenty of aluminium manufacturing pr0n:

Last edited: