Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1up USA Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left the rack on yesterday after a morning ride and had two people taking photos and asking about the rack. In the morning, a gentleman with a Forester came up to my car and asked about the rack and if OK to take pics. Later in the day, the missus and I were at Home Depot and came out to the parking lot to find two people looking the the MY and taking pics. The woman said her brother-in-law has an M3 and taking a trip to Cape Cod - and looking for a bike rack.

With both I shared a good review of the rack and the customer service from 1up...I may have sold a few racks today. :)

Reactions: e-FTW and brinox
I still feel like the 1ups look kinda ugly...but it seems to be the consensus best product? Driving around I see tons of people using the Kuwait ones and they seem pretty solid too...
You might want to look at Hollywood racks, too. Nice looking, they actually provide locks (including the hitch lock with a key), 60lb/bike capacity, and the racks are relatively light (47lb in the case of the one I bought).

Reactions: jhams
Do the 1Up racks block the backup camera? If so, does anyone know of a rack that doesn't?
The rack itself doesn't unless you are asking about driving around with it folded up. In any case I'm not sure as I remove it when not in use. A bike attached to the rack obstructs some of the view but not all of it. Hope that helps.

Also depending on the type of lock-pin you use to secure the rack to the cars hitch it can be very simple and quick to remove the 1up system even in the cramped space of the MY bumper. I just bought the 1up system and have no regrets. Easy to put on and remove. Getting a lock-pin that is easy to use and fits in the bumper is key. Many are too big including the supplied lock-pin the 1up system ships with.

I still feel like the 1ups look kinda ugly...but it seems to be the consensus best product? Driving around I see tons of people using the Kuwait ones and they seem pretty solid too...
The Kuat and 1UP are most favored in bike centric circles. When my kids were doing NICA, highschool mtb racing, I got to see a lot of racks. We started out with a Swagman which was decent for a while. But as we got more and more into NICA, more traveling, more weird shaped carbon frames, a simple Swagman was getting to the point of being annoying to use. Not much of the Swagman was integrated. I looked at the 1UP but did not like its bare bones approach. The Kuat did everything and more than expected, hell the integrated repair stand is a godsend. I bought the optional legs cuz their complete stand is awesome to use on sight. Also, if you have kids or know someone in NICA circles, local area shops run a NICA day where you can get 25% off one day a year usually in the spring. I used NICA day to get our Kuat cheap. That said both are solid, they just appeal to different aspects of the same market.

2014 S85. Hitch install on the S is fairly straightforward, will require cutting a hole to the bottom of the bumper to make room for the receiver hitch, and you'll need to purchase a magnet mounted cover so the hole is not exposed when the rack is not used. Securing the bolt to lock in the receiver with the rack is a "little easier" to secure vs the MY. A bigger consideration would be the clearance issue with the S or the 3 rubbing the rack as you approach less than ideal driveways or even commercial places with steep driveways (based on personnel experience) and slight unpaved roads and mountain biking parking lots (based on personnel experience). I also own a MYP and I can say that I have no stress worrying about rubbing issues with the rack attached. I traded my M3 to my current MYP realizing the tradeoffs with the bike rack attached. Hope this helps
Thanks for the info--you hit the nail on the head. The practical side of me says the MYP is great (not to mention cheaper) and I really like it. The new car/tech side of me says follow through with the LR S purchase and "live with" the hitch/bike/practicality issues. Tough decision, and I do appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: EdEV
Anyone with the 1Up that keeps it on even when not transporting bikes? I like keeping it on the car as sort of a back bumper protector from people parking behind you who are careless when parking. If they hit the rack, i won't be worried at all.

Another thing, when kept in storage position with no bikes, does the locking mechanism rub into the metal like mine is and is that normal?
20220714_175259.jpg

I keep my rack on most of the summer - except if going on a longer road trip without the bikes. Not sure if I understand the question regarding the locking mechanism. Are you referring to the teeth wearing down. If so, mine did the same. I have learned to find the sweet spot on the lever in which you can slide the arm without it rubbing and grinding the teeth. The aluminum is pretty soft so you need to be careful.

I keep my rack on most of the summer - except if going on a longer road trip without the bikes. Not sure if I understand the question regarding the locking mechanism. Are you referring to the teeth wearing down. If so, mine did the same. I have learned to find the sweet spot on the lever in which you can slide the arm without it rubbing and grinding the teeth. The aluminum is pretty soft so you need to be careful.
Yes exactly that, figured there has to be a way to prevent the teeth from grinding down on the aluminum as shown in those two spots where the red lever would sit in storage position (i moved them up a bit to show the damage it is doing).

I take mine off every time. This week I put it on thursday around noon, took it off around 3pm, put it on Friday around 11:30, took it off around 3PM again. That is the primary reason I went Kuat rather than 1up. I don't need the allen wrench to loosen the jambing thing. Interesting about this aluminum tooth thing. The only part on the Kuat that might have an issue like that is the arm/hook over the front wheel (none for the rear on the Kuat). I'll have to take a look to see if it might have a potential issue.

Hold the red lever flush with the tray when you fold down the arms for storage —> no grinding teeth.
I leave my rack on when I expect to use it again soon because it takes effort to remove and store it. however, I don’t think it offers protection from an impact on the back of the vehicle. I expect an impact would be more costly to repair with the rack on due to likely damage to the rack, the hitch, and the frame that the hitch is attached to. I’m no engineer, but the bumper is designed to absorb impact while the rack and car frame are not.

For bumper protection, i just meant from people that don't know how to parallel park and accidently hit my bumper by nudging it. Yes i hold down the red lever when folding, just that when it's at the completely flat position , the way it holds it in place is resting on that indent that it caused. It appears it will keep digging deep into that part.