TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2” hitch receiver

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Marito, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Marito

Marito Member

Hi all, first time posting and brand new Model X owner. What an amazing piece of technology...
    Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been asked, I've searched but found no answer.
    When we picked up the MX, I asked about purchasing a 2” hitch receiver. I do not need the "tow package" as I'm not planning to "tow" anything other than my own bike rack. The technician told me that I could not purchase the 2” hitch receiver by itself and that I had to buy the tow package ( Tesla — Tow Package ) for $1250 as the receiver itself (that used to cost $750) is no longer available.
    Does anybody have any experience with this? Are there any other options/suggestions? I just want to be able to mount my bike rack!
    Thanks!
    Mario.

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did you order the accessory hitch (or was it available) when you were placing your order?

3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Congratulations and welcome. I was lucky to get the 2" reciever. It was discontinued later. There is a bike rack available on the website site, says requires precongrifured towing package or accessory hitch.
    Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack.
    Remember having seen after market bike rack.

4. Marito

Marito Member

They told me that it could be installed at the SC at a later date, but now it seems it was a miscommunication. They thought I wanted a tow "package".

5. Marito

Marito Member

I was told it could be installed later at the SC if I chose to buy it, but apparently there was some miscommunication and they thought I wanted the tow "package" when all I wanted/needed was the receiver :-(

6. Marito

Marito Member

Thanks! Unfortunately the receiver by itself seems to be discontinued so I'm out of luck. My bike rack is very similar to Tesla's (2" mount). Basically, I would really like to avoid spending a month's payment just to be able to mount my rack... Half a months payment would probably be ok though :)

7. Marito

Marito Member

8. jason1466

jason1466 Member

9. Marito

Marito Member

Nice! This looks like the perfect solution and at a great price! Thanks.