Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should probably move this discussion over to the tire threads... except we're talking about all Roadster versions here and there's two tire threads. Chad are you sure it was the Michelin Pilot Sport and not the Pilot Super Sport? Both have low rolling resistance but the Pilot Super Sport has much better performance. It's a pure summer tire like the AD07, not an A/S. Michelin doesn't make either one in the front size we need.

The message I got said "Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s".

Probably the same thing. Here's what I have, but no idea how or when they got there (already on the car when I bought it in Dec-2014).

CAM00599.jpg

They are far from the same thing. PS3s are performance tires, what you have is are allseasons. Massive difference in performance, but consumption might be similar.

... hence the "A/S" in the name - all season. Thanks, learned something today.

But, to the topic if this thread, neither of these are particularly intended to be low rolling resistance, so not part of the overall 3.0 package, as originally announced. Right?

• I had new snow tires put on this weekend. I have used Blizzak's on other cars but this is the first time on the Roadster. I also had a wax undercoating put in the wheels wells to try to slow rust from all the road salt. All the way home, on dry pavement, I had the traction control light come on whenever I accelerated briskly. It also came in if I was going fast and the regenerative braking kicked in. This is a new behavior. I remembered that I needed to do the re-programming for new tires procedure. However, even after that, the behavior persisted. Any thoughts? I have never seen this before.

• I had new snow tires put on this weekend. I have used Blizzak's on other cars but this is the first time on the Roadster. I also had a wax undercoating put in the wheels wells to try to slow rust from all the road salt. All the way home, on dry pavement, I had the traction control light come on whenever I accelerated briskly. It also came in if I was going fast and the regenerative braking kicked in. This is a new behavior. I remembered that I needed to do the re-programming for new tires procedure. However, even after that, the behavior persisted. Any thoughts? I have never seen this before.
From Tire Rack:
Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together.

I just had Blizzak's installed for winter 3 weeks ago and have also noticed traction control light come on occasionally, whereas previously (only 2-3 weeks of experience) I had not seen this. So this is c/w your observation. I drove slowly for 2 weeks to break in the tires as thefortunes suggested. I am curious about the wax undercoating: who does this and how does one request this? Tires were installed at NTB.

Had a set of Dunlop DZ102's installed last week. Initial impression is good but haven't driven them very much. Will update as I go.
I noticed they make a front tire that would fit. 195/50-16. I look forward to your future reports.

ViperDoc and ViviV : Have you tried the tire learning feature again after initial break-in? I usually run it again after 500 miles with good results.

Hi everyone, my initial thoughts on the Dunlop DZ102's are extremely positive. It is always hard to compare tires because you're comparing new tires vs worn out ones. I don't have a standard handling loop w/ lap times to objectively judge so it's just seat of the pants. What I can tell you without a doubt is that the DZ102's are better than worn out AD07's in every way. :) It's been pretty cold here lately but handling has been quite good, even in the wet. No TC lights. Tires are quiet (again, comparing to the worn out AD07's I just took off) and there's less understeer in the corners I use regularly.

In all I'm happy. They're quite a bit cheaper than AD07/08's and the MPSS's but seem to deliver good handling.

Reactions: wiztecy
I put these on my rears about six months ago -

225/45R-17 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS XL

I still have the Yokohama's up front and it seems these tires don't really go well together - a little slipping and sliding at high speeds (65+ MPH+) and the back generally feels a little loose. At first I thought it was my suspension and it's now set on the tightest setting and I still have the problem. The tech at Burlingame SC confirmed that it's my tires so I'll go back to the Michelins when these wear out ;(