TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by suxxer, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Chad, thanks for the info.

Greg, what size are the Michelins you are running?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

We should probably move this discussion over to the tire threads... except we're talking about all Roadster versions here and there's two tire threads. Chad are you sure it was the Michelin Pilot Sport and not the Pilot Super Sport? Both have low rolling resistance but the Pilot Super Sport has much better performance. It's a pure summer tire like the AD07, not an A/S. Michelin doesn't make either one in the front size we need.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

The message I got said "Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s".

4. gregd

gregd Active Member

Probably the same thing. Here's what I have, but no idea how or when they got there (already on the car when I bought it in Dec-2014).

CAM00599.jpg

5. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

They are far from the same thing. PS3s are performance tires, what you have is are allseasons. Massive difference in performance, but consumption might be similar.

6. gregd

gregd Active Member

... hence the "A/S" in the name - all season. Thanks, learned something today.

But, to the topic if this thread, neither of these are particularly intended to be low rolling resistance, so not part of the overall 3.0 package, as originally announced. Right?

7. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

That would be my guess as well. They're probably going for something along Michelins Primacy tires.

8. BartJ

BartJ Member

my local dealer sais that AD07 and AD08 are not available anymore ....
    he proposes advan Sport V105S. (225/45/17)

anyone can comment on that ?

9. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

#649 jordanthompson, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Here's what I just bought two weeks ago:

upload_2016-8-22_10-31-28.png

10. BartJ

BartJ Member

Yes I know they are still available elsewhere.

But I was interested to know what you guys think of these for a Roadster :

Yokohama Advan Sport V105S. (225/45/17)

11. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

The reason that they are not availble in EU is they have to high noise

12. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

• I had new snow tires put on this weekend. I have used Blizzak's on other cars but this is the first time on the Roadster. I also had a wax undercoating put in the wheels wells to try to slow rust from all the road salt. All the way home, on dry pavement, I had the traction control light come on whenever I accelerated briskly. It also came in if I was going fast and the regenerative braking kicked in. This is a new behavior. I remembered that I needed to do the re-programming for new tires procedure. However, even after that, the behavior persisted. Any thoughts? I have never seen this before.

13. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

From Tire Rack:
    Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together.

14. strider

strider Active Member

Had a set of Dunlop DZ102's installed last week. Initial impression is good but haven't driven them very much. Will update as I go.

15. ViviV

ViviV Member

I just had Blizzak's installed for winter 3 weeks ago and have also noticed traction control light come on occasionally, whereas previously (only 2-3 weeks of experience) I had not seen this. So this is c/w your observation. I drove slowly for 2 weeks to break in the tires as thefortunes suggested. I am curious about the wax undercoating: who does this and how does one request this? Tires were installed at NTB.

16. vincentboeve

vincentboeve New Member

Great! Please keep us up to date about this, really curious!

17. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I noticed they make a front tire that would fit. 195/50-16. I look forward to your future reports.

ViperDoc and ViviV : Have you tried the tire learning feature again after initial break-in? I usually run it again after 500 miles with good results.

18. strider

strider Active Member

Hi everyone, my initial thoughts on the Dunlop DZ102's are extremely positive. It is always hard to compare tires because you're comparing new tires vs worn out ones. I don't have a standard handling loop w/ lap times to objectively judge so it's just seat of the pants. What I can tell you without a doubt is that the DZ102's are better than worn out AD07's in every way. :) It's been pretty cold here lately but handling has been quite good, even in the wet. No TC lights. Tires are quiet (again, comparing to the worn out AD07's I just took off) and there's less understeer in the corners I use regularly.

In all I'm happy. They're quite a bit cheaper than AD07/08's and the MPSS's but seem to deliver good handling.

• Like x 1
  19. augkuo

augkuo Member

I put these on my rears about six months ago -

225/45R-17 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS XL

I still have the Yokohama's up front and it seems these tires don't really go well together - a little slipping and sliding at high speeds (65+ MPH+) and the back generally feels a little loose. At first I thought it was my suspension and it's now set on the tightest setting and I still have the problem. The tech at Burlingame SC confirmed that it's my tires so I'll go back to the Michelins when these wear out ;(

20. Michael1227

Michael1227 Member

Hi Everybody!!
    Try this : DUNLOP Sport Maxx RT2 225/45 R17 94Y Extraload & Sport Maxx RT 205/45 R16 83W
    Very, VERY GOOD in dry or wet road !