TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by suxxer, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. If I only get 10% more miles from the AD08s I will be disappointed, given the extra cost.

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

The price seems to vary. The AD08's were less expensive than the AD07's when I bought them last. I expect better performance, but not longer life out of them.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

#683 hcsharp, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    The Pilot Super Sports may be rated one level below the AD07 and AD08r but they perform more like an extreme performance tire. In fact I would say better than most extreme performance tires. Most days I can't tell the difference between Michelins and the Yokos. Unless it's raining, and then the Pilot Super Sports get much better range and performance.

The Michelins last longer than any of the other choices, are slightly quieter and currently on sale for $134. It may sound like I'm advocating for the Michelins. I'm not. I'm just offering my own experience.

• Like x 3
  4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Note that I was talking AD08r, which is actually different than the AD08, at least according to Yokohama.

5. ViviV

ViviV Member

Finally it is spring so I just changed to new summer tires from winter's Blizzak WS80. We had saved the original tires planning to put them back on in summer, but then upon realizing they were 7 years old (even though only about 7500 miles) we decided the safest thing to do was to replace them.
    Original tires were:
    Front: Yokohama A048 ultra high performance (streetable track) 195/50/R16
    Rear: Yokohama AD07 225/45/R17
    We got a quote from Tesla for $1200 for tires and installation. Furthermore, they said they would use AD07 in front and rear, but AD07 do not come in the 195 width so they would have installed 175 in front. We didn't want to get the A048 because they are not good in rain so we were worried about safety since I won't be taking the Roadster to a track.
    Instead, on TireRack we purchased Yokohama Advan Sport V105 Max performance summer (195/50/R16 and 225/45/R17) with installation at local NTB (all for ~$700).
    TireRack does not seem to know that Roadsters can have 195 front so this tire does not come up in the search for tires by type of vehicle so you have to do the search manually. Do all Roadster Sport models have 195 front width or was that optional (perhaps only with A048)? What have others done?

6. strider

strider Active Member

Yes, that was the optional fitment for the A048. I'm running DZ102's in the sport size on my base Roadster and all is well. It really opens up your options if you run the optional fitment.

7. Oricle

Oricle Member

We've been through 2 sets of tires mainly for autox use. Both sets were Bridgestone RE71R

2016 season
    F: 205/50r16
    R: 235/45r17
    Tall sidewalls, but fit according to manufacturer spec.

2017 season
    F: 205/45r16
    R: 245/40r17
    This year we decided to pinch on tires with a shorter sidewall in an effort to bring the motor's powerband inline with the low speeds of an autox course. The pinched tires seemed to like higher pressures than recommended (+3-4 lbs). We'll probably stick with this size next season unless different sizes are released in a different compound.

Here's a list I made of competitive autox tire sizes, and if they are similar to the stock staggered circumference
    Code:
    Stock
      175/55r16
      195/50r16 (alt)
      225/45r17
        Circum: 74" (74.3” alt) 78.4" +5.9%

2017 Season
      205/45r16
      245/40r17
        Circum. 73” 77.6” +6%

2016 Season
      205/50r16
      235/45r17
        Circum. 75.6" 79.5" +5%

Optional
      205/50r15
      245/40r17
        Circum. 72.4" 77.6" +6.9%  MAYBE?

205/45r16
      225/45r17
        Circum: 73” 78.4" MAYBE?

195/50r15
      225/50r16
        Circum. 71.2" 78.1" +9.7%  NO

195/55r16
      245/40r17
        Circum. 76.8" 77.6" +1.2%  NO

205/50r15
      225/50r16
        Circum. 72.4" 78.1" +7.8%  NO

205/50r15
      225/45r17
        Circum. 72.4" 78.4" +8.2%  NO

195/50r15
      225/45r17
        Circum. 71.2" 78.4" +10.1%  NO

• Informative x 2
  8. Oricle

Oricle Member

I forgot to mention that in my quest for autox tires I did a lot of research on fitting 15" diameter wheels on the front. Long story short, a 15" wheel wont clear the brakes (the rotor is a larger diameter than on a Lotus Elise). CCW was the only manufacturer that said they could build some one off wheels CNC'd from a solid block of aluminum that would fit, but that exceeded what we were willing to spend. So, that is why there are some tires for 15" wheels listed above.

9. ICON

ICON Member

Hong Kong Formula E cars used these on the twisty street circuit...

(mods please delete or move if posted incorrectly )

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  10. strider

strider Active Member

If only they made Pilots to fit the Roadster's front wheels.

I am loving my Dunlops however. They just work - hot, cold, rain, (stayed home the 2 slightly snowy days we've had this year so can't comment on that), you name it.

• Like x 2
  11. TigaFF

TigaFF Supporting Member

I am about to change back from winter tires (Blizzaks) back to summer tires. The original Yokohama's set up quite a howl. The fronts with 20,000 miles look to be original given the manufacture date and rears are worn. After reading through the thread, I would appreciate some follow up from fellow roadster owns:
    @strider regarding the Dunlop DZ102
    @ViviV regarding the Yokohama Advan 105
    @DeedWest regarding the Continental Extreme Contact DWS
    I don't drive particularly hard and the trip to Baltimore from DC is a highway drone and a reduction in noise would be most appreciated I was amazed that the winter Blizzaks were far quieter than the old, hard Yokohamas. i would have never guessed that looking at the tread. I am willing to give up performance for quiet. I don' t drive the roadster like my old Elise. Thank you for any response. IMG_0137.jpg

12. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

Since you can order Continental Extreme DWS06 in 195-55/16 for front and 225-45/17 for rear, I would strongly recommend them. I believe they’re the best all-around quieter tire for the Roadster, while still maintaining summer performance.

Also, I’m frequently in the D.C. & Alexandria area so I’ll keep my eyes out for this rare gem. I think if I ever saw your car in person I’d cry (one of my favorite configurations).

13. ion_1

ion_1 Member

Second on the DWS06.
    I switched a couple of years ago on all my cars.

For the roadster, I drive cold mornings and definitely did not want to take the risk on the Yokohamas. Plus the Yoks were making me deaf, it was to the point driving wasn't enjoyable.

Impressions on DWS06:
    1. super, super, super quiet
    2. Obviously not a sport summer tire, you will lose feedback as sidewalls are a bit softer. However, after feeling a bit disconcerting initially, you learn to drive with these tires after a while and you realize they stick like glue. Car never understeered since I had them. I wouldn't track with them, but you can hammer them in turns with confidence. You just need to spend time with them and learn the feedback.
    3. I like them as the roads in NJ are often "not ideal" and these tires dig into the various textures we have find ourselves in
    4. The fronts are just ok/ugh at OEM psi, but play with inflation; +5-8psi and these tires are transformed to a Much better tire
    5. Regarding traction, I put these on a g37 after trying all sorts of all seasons. I don't drive the roadster in snow, but the g37 just plowed through snow better than any performance all season I have had. Amazing in deep rain. Plan to put them on my R-design next and lose the really poor P7s (which are not sport ASs). I've never had a better all season, not even close.
    6. I would definitely check out the Michelin AS 3+, these have great reviews and should give slightly better dry sport traction. If anyone has these, feedback would be welcome :)
    7. DWS06 has a stiffer sidewall (good) than the original DWS
    8. As with all tires, don't judge them before the first few hundred miles are over. They definitely transform for the (far) better as they age. But as you all know, these are not summer sport tires (and the good and bad associated with them)

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  14. TigaFF

TigaFF Supporting Member

Deed West and ion_1 thank for the response. I plan on trying a set of Continentals this week. Deed West if you make it up to Silver Spring, let me know - would be pleased to meet you. JG

15. strider

strider Active Member

Hi there. I'm late to the party but I'm happy w/ the Dunlops. I can't compare them to the Conti's but the Dunlops have done great through the heat of summer and cold of winter. They are WAY better than the Yoko's.

• Like x 1
  16. heychubs

heychubs Member

Glad I found this thread, as I'm looking for new tire recommendations. Looks like the Conti's are the way to go!

DeedWest, looks like you finally found your Electric Blue! Congrats!

17. DeedWest

DeedWest 2010 Roadster 2.0 - VIN 523

@heychubs Thanks! It’s been very surreal...although lately I’ve been considering getting a house and letting go of the car would be a huge help...

18. Roadster

Roadster Member

What have some of your experiences been with local tire shops and Roadsters? I'd like to have a new rear pair of MPSSs installed but am perhaps being too paranoid they won't know how/where to jack the car up without damaging it. I'd prefer to just have the SC do it but earlier comments seem to suggest they only install OE Yokos.

19. gregd

gregd Active Member

I had a flat tire repaired at the local Les Schwab tire store. I let them know that they can't use the lift, and if they don't do the jacking right, they will total the car. That got their attention! The top service guy was called over. I showed him where the jack points were, and he did the work, all correctly, and out where I could watch. Happy customer. I've used the same approach for the upgraded brakes.

That said, I'm curious about your choice of tires. Why them? I thought the MPSS tires didn't come in our size (both front and back), so you'd have a mix of tires which isn't a good idea. I was kind of convinced I should go with the Dunlop or Conti's next time.

20. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Many
    Many of us use Yoko in the front and MPSS in the rear. Probably the best balance of summer performance, noise and treadwear.

As long as you stay in the same/near performance category front to rear you can mix. YMMV.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1