Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree 100% with @thefortunes - although the MPSS aren’t offered in the front size, the car performs incredibly with them in the rear. It quiets the ride, while maintaining the same performance. I love them!

I’m not sure what the story is regarding SC’s denying non-OEM tires all of a sudden, but I only know my SC here in Dallas regularly installs MPSS for local Roadster owners. Myself and a few other owners have them on our cars.

The Torrance, CA service center confirmed they're fine with customers supplying their own tires. However, they would not allow them to be shipped directly to the SC for liability reasons so I had Tire Rack deliver them to my home. The next question was how to get them over to the SC. Question answered after a quick consult with @DeedWest (see photo). Just make sure to use your soft top so you can easily remove the passenger side rail to load/unload the tires easier. Oh, and definitely crack your windows open for the drive as the off-gassing smell is extremely noxious.

IMG_8979.jpg

• Love
Reactions: DeedWest
In case anyone is shopping for tires—- I purchased the following recently:
  • Front Tires: 195/50-16 (sport)
  • Rear Tires: 225/45-17
  • Brand: Continental
  • Style: ExtremeContact Sport
In the past month I’ve put on around 150 miles on them, and can safely say they are GREAT! Although not quite the “street legal race tires” that came on the car, these are far more suited for regular driving IMO. First off, they are exponentially more quiet riding. Secondly, they are still sticky as you need, with the only traction light ever coming on when the tires are cold in a straight line. But even then, warmed up, perfect. I’d rank these as a “must have” purchase. Based on the 340 tread wear rating (versus the 180 on the stock tires), i’d Really expect these tires to last 5-10k miles depending on your driving habit. (For me, the lower end, but for some more spirited driving folks, who knows!).

As much as i’d Like to report back in a few thousand miles with more info—- these were short lived, as I have an aftermarket wheel/tire combo that just got installed. So more on that in a new/separate thread...

Reactions: thebabydoc
In case anyone is shopping for tires—- I purchased the following recently:
  • Front Tires: 195/50-16 (sport)
  • Rear Tires: 225/45-17
  • Brand: Continental
  • Style: ExtremeContact Sport
In the past month I’ve put on around 150 miles on them, and can safely say they are GREAT! Although not quite the “street legal race tires” that came on the car, these are far more suited for regular driving IMO. First off, they are exponentially more quiet riding. Secondly, they are still sticky as you need, with the only traction light ever coming on when the tires are cold in a straight line. But even then, warmed up, perfect. I’d rank these as a “must have” purchase. Based on the 340 tread wear rating (versus the 180 on the stock tires), i’d Really expect these tires to last 5-10k miles depending on your driving habit. (For me, the lower end, but for some more spirited driving folks, who knows!).

As much as i’d Like to report back in a few thousand miles with more info—- these were short lived, as I have an aftermarket wheel/tire combo that just got installed. So more on that in a new/separate thread...
Just bought the same ones for my 2010 R80 (they replaced bald AVS08's) and they are just infinitely better at 1/4 the price IMHO. Quiet, great grip, great handling. And STOLE them for less than $650 installed with warranty plus $70 Rebate from Discount Tire.

• Love
Reactions: arijaycomet
Just bought the same ones for my 2010 R80 (they replaced bald AVS08's) and they are just infinitely better at 1/4 the price IMHO. Quiet, great grip, great handling. And STOLE them for less than $650 installed with warranty plus $70 Rebate from Discount Tire.
I'm starting to look at new tires, sometime this summer. My car currently has (from the original owner) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on the rear, and the Advan AD07's on the front. I understand that this is a mismatch in tire type, so will want to get that corrected. I also want quiet and reasonably long lasting. Unfortunately, the Advan's still have a bunch of tread, but going OEM on the rear (to match the fronts) won't satisfy those goals. So, I think I'm looking at replacing all four.

I notice that the Continental's have a load rating of SL, and the current tires are XL. This isn't a light car... Is that ok? I don't track the car, but do want good grip in summer and winter (wet, no snow or ice). Any other recommendations?

I think it’s Pretty much between MPSS and continental Extreme. It’s a brand choice, I know continental and have not great experiences with Michelin but a totally different type of tires. But my bias is set so it’s easy for me. I don’t think either of those tires are a bad choice, I guess what ever is on sale may be the decider!

Reactions: ICON
F1E1E874-4A97-4238-A6D4-F64C7ACF7A0A.jpeg
83296E7A-D146-4AA5-B358-40218803D615.jpeg
B2D0EDF8-3CD4-4833-840D-26C9DF569AA9.jpeg
Pirelli Cinturato P7

I'm running stock Yokohama's now but they are 4 years old and done about 30,000 Kms.

Clearly the rear tread is starting to display a camber fade on the inside line although there is still a lot of tread depth left.

When getting a screw removed and plugged today and the garage tried to sell me these for US$144 each?

They have got good reviews on Tire Rack and have a great rating for longevity, low rolling resistance and are very quiet.

However my main concern is grip in hot tropical climate and in the wet on tarmac and concrete roads.

Can anyone chime in here on traction grip/performance?

These will NOT be for track use, city commuting primarily.

Lowest temperature here in Hong Kong would be in the winter. Morning temperatures drop to 3.3 Celsius (38 Fahrenheit) in urban areas of the city.

8061E461-D438-4902-9C21-A01670FC8770.jpeg

Is there a record for how many miles a Roadster has gotten out of a set of rear Yokohama AD07’s?

They have traveled about 13,100 miles since being added. I knew it was time when the (already loud) 2.0 ride noise became horrendous. Sure enough, when signing into my eighth annual service, I was informed that my rears were 1/32 and 2/32 respectively.

I didn’t think I was that conservative...I mean...I accelerate hard a healthy amount. Perhaps I just had a weirdly reliable set of them?

Oh well. I went ahead and ordered a full set of the Continental ExtremeContact Sports. 195/50R16 and 225/45R17. Will report back tomorrow with impressions. The best thing about only knowing my 2.0 throughout its life on AD07’s, is that I should be able to tell a massive difference on these new tires.

I am curious if I’ll need to use the Tire Learn function for he first time since I’m switching to 195/50 in the front versus prior 175/55.

I am curious if I’ll need to use the Tire Learn function for he first time since I’m switching to 195/50 in the front versus prior 175/55.
I haven't checked, but does Continental not have the original 175/55 R16 size for the fronts? Alternatively, is there a reason to choose the different size? I'm needing a set of rears before winter rains, and would like to get a matched set front/rear.

I haven't checked, but does Continental not have the original 175/55 R16 size for the fronts? Alternatively, is there a reason to choose the different size? I'm needing a set of rears before winter rains, and would like to get a matched set front/rear.

The reason for choosing the alternate Sport size is that they’ve been tested for years and that it’s a more widely accessible option. From what I can see, the 175/55 option is only available on the AD07 (and a few other non-performance tires). Changing the search to 195/50 brings plenty more full set options for the Roadster.

• Informative
The reason for choosing the alternate Sport size is that they’ve been tested for years and that it’s a more widely accessible option. From what I can see, the 175/55 option is only available on the AD07 (and a few other non-performance tires). Changing the search to 195/50 brings plenty more full set options for the Roadster.
The Yoko AD07 175/55 is closer in actual size to a 50 aspect ratio from almost all other manufacturers. Look at the specs to see the actual dimensions of each tire.

You'll probably need to use tire learning but it's interesting to note that 1.5 owners without tire learning can usually run the contis without issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest and ICON
Oh well. I went ahead and ordered a full set of the Continental ExtremeContact Sports. 195/50R16 and 225/45R17. Will report back tomorrow with impressions. The best thing about only knowing my 2.0 throughout its life on AD07’s, is that I should be able to tell a massive difference on these new tires.
I'm looking forward to your review. Push it hard through some turns to test turn-in and grip. I've been running AD07s and MPSS for the life of my car with good success so naturally I'm a little reluctant to try the Continentals.

Currently have stock Yokahama 175/225 on my 2011 2.5. Car has 65,000 kms, daily driver, concrete and tarmac roads, not tracking and daily commute car. Weather is
Max 33C and hot, humid, rainy wet and winter dry minimum 6C.
Front tires are 5mm tread depth and rears are 2 mm. I will be replacing the rears soon and am debating if I should replace the fronts too.

If I replace the rears, I would go with either Continental ExtremeContact sports or Yokohama AD07 225/45R17 which is what it has now ( AD07's lasted about 12 months)

If I kept the fronts for another cycle, do you think running the stock up front would be okay with the Continental ECS in the rear? Or just chalk it up and buy all four continental ECS 195/55R16 and 225/45R17 ?

Last edited:
Currently have stock Yokahama 175/225 on my 2011 2.5. Car has 65,000 kms, daily driver, concrete and tarmac roads, not tracking and daily commute car. Weather is
Max 33C and hot, humid, rainy wet and winter dry minimum 6C.
Front tires are 5mm tread depth and rears are 2 mm. I will be replacing the rears soon and am debating if I should replace the fronts too.

If I replace the rears, I would go with either Continental ExtremeContact sports or Yokohama AD07 225/45R17 which is what it has now ( AD07's lasted about 12 months)

If I kept the fronts for another cycle, do you think running the stock up front would be okay with the Continental ECS in the rear? Or just chalk it up and buy all four continental ECS 195/55R16 and 225/45R17 ?
I'm in a similar situation, needing new rears yet have adequate tread on the fronts. Rears are currently Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/45R17 91V, which are not the right type for pairing with the Yoko fronts.

But the question: did you mean 195/55R16 for the Conti fronts, or 195/50R16 which I have seen written elsewhere?

Extra credit: What do the digits at the end (e.g. "91V" on my Michelin rears, and "80W" for the Yoko fronts) refer to, and what are the requirements for the car when purchasing new tires?

But the question: did you mean 195/55R16 for the Conti fronts, or 195/50R16 which I have seen written elsewhere? ...Yes Greg

I'm also considering the AD08R for the rear
I'm in a similar situation, needing new rears yet have adequate tread on the fronts. Rears are currently Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/45R17 91V, which are not the right type for pairing with the Yoko fronts.

But the question: did you mean 195/55R16 for the Conti fronts, or 195/50R16 which I have seen written elsewhere?

Extra credit: What do the digits at the end (e.g. "91V" on my Michelin rears, and "80W" for the Yoko fronts) refer to, and what are the requirements for the car when purchasing new tires?