Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Just bought Roadster $861 and recently discovered that Michelin makes a Pilot Sport A/S 4 tire that will fit the rear (225/45R17). I really like these tires on my Mercedes R230, and was considering putting them on the rear of my new (to me) Roadster 2.5, with the Yokos on the front. I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't mix/match brands.

Hello! Just bought Roadster $861 and recently discovered that Michelin makes a Pilot Sport A/S 4 tire that will fit the rear (225/45R17). I really like these tires on my Mercedes R230, and was considering putting them on the rear of my new (to me) Roadster 2.5, with the Yokos on the front. I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't mix/match brands.
I had them on my 2.0, and they seemed to work well. But it was pointed out that I was mixing tire types (brand is not so important), with the original "summer" Advan's on the front. In a panic, the two sets of tires have very different grip profiles, and could (more) easily cause loss of control. Fortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to test that.

Since Michelin doesn't make equivalent A/S tires in the size for the fronts, when they finally wore out I replaced all 4 with the Continentals. Very happy with them.

If you upgtade wheels to 17/18” you can get michelin pilot sport 4 (summer) or the michelin pilot sport 4 AS.
Just an option.

Ooh! Tempting, and that would look cool. The thinner tire could result in a firmer ride too. Good to know!
And where you live, I would put on A052’s (200 threadwear) Considering the rears get replaced 3x compared to the front, expect the cost to be slightly higher with excellent performance tires.
They are available in the size I mentioned.

The sport had optional A048, and here are some comments from our friends with Lotus’

Last edited:
I finally decided on A052 on my car and had them on this summer. They are fantastic compared to my old tires (AD07 front, Michelin Primacy 3 rear) with aged rubber. Road noise is strongly reduced, the drive feels much smoother and as far as I can tell without having tracked the car, I don't do that, grip is excellent. I changed from cast to forged rims at the same time, but I doubt that is significant to the experience. An obvious downside was cost, but for now I think it was worth it. Having @TEG's roll-of-tape description of the predessor A048 in mind, I am a bit worried about how long they last, but the treadwear spec is much better, 200 as mentioned by @OakvilleMYP above, so I choose to be optimistic.

Reactions: OakvilleMYP
Whelp, guys, it looks like I "need" to get new wheels.

Literally 2 minutes after getting brand new tires, I took the car on the freeway to test the tire balance, and the freeway was getting torn up for construction. I ended up smashing into a roughly 3" lip and bent both of my front wheels... Now it feels like I'm driving a bouncing jalopy at high speeds... Ugh.

I believe I can just send my current wheels in to get repaired, but I'm intrigued by the idea of getting new wheels all around.

@OakvilleMYP do you have any suggestions for wheel upgrades? I would absolutely love to go an inch larger so I can slap some Michelin PS4 tires on my Roadster.

@einhalv I'm curious what size of wheels you went with. Did you stick with the original size, or change the size?

Are there wheels out there that would give me any kind of a performance upgrade? I'm not sure how it works, I can't find a sticky on this, and I'm somewhat of a n00b when it comes to wheels ;-)

Whelp, guys, it looks like I "need" to get new wheels.

Literally 2 minutes after getting brand new tires, I took the car on the freeway to test the tire balance, and the freeway was getting torn up for construction. I ended up smashing into a roughly 3" lip and bent both of my front wheels... Now it feels like I'm driving a bouncing jalopy at high speeds... Ugh.

I believe I can just send my current wheels in to get repaired, but I'm intrigued by the idea of getting new wheels all around.

@OakvilleMYP do you have any suggestions for wheel upgrades? I would absolutely love to go an inch larger so I can slap some Michelin PS4 tires on my Roadster.

@einhalv I'm curious what size of wheels you went with. Did you stick with the original size, or change the size?

Are there wheels out there that would give me any kind of a performance upgrade? I'm not sure how it works, I can't find a sticky on this, and I'm somewhat of a n00b when it comes to wheels ;-)
If you opt out to just get 2 wheels, and have a 1.5, then I would totally be interested in getting the other 2 from @Roadster ‘s link. I also wan’t to replace 2 forged wheels, 1 left and 1 right for cosmetic reasons.

Do you have a 1.5? If so it’s not as friendly with wheel replacement and if you go larger diameter it may throw codes. The wheels are cheap since the size is small, so let me know what you got, and I can make a few suggestions. @X.l.r.8 keeps a list of available options as well.

If you opt out to just get 2 wheels, and have a 1.5, then I would totally be interested in getting the other 2 from @Roadster ‘s link. I also wan’t to replace 2 forged wheels, 1 left and 1 right for cosmetic reasons.

Do you have a 1.5? If so it’s not as friendly with wheel replacement and if you go larger diameter it may throw codes. The wheels are cheap since the size is small, so let me know what you got, and I can make a few suggestions. @X.l.r.8 keeps a list of available options as well.
I have a 2010 2.5 Sport model. It has the directional forged rims, currently power coated in black. They look pretty different from what you are likely looking for.

I would really like to execute what you suggested above, and get 17" / 18" rims so that I have a better selection of tires. I'm having a really hard time finding a 17" rim with a 5x110 bolt pattern and 35mm offset though.

I have a 2010 2.5 Sport model. It has the directional forged rims, currently power coated in black. They look pretty different from what you are likely looking for.

I would really like to execute what you suggested above, and get 17" / 18" rims so that I have a better selection of tires. I'm having a really hard time finding a 17" rim with a 5x110 bolt pattern and 35mm offset though.
40mm offset works too.
You have some options feom fast wheels.
Also the enkei ev5.
You can go with 17&18, the 2.5 won’t throw codes.

So would this setup work? Should I get a 3mm spacer to get the correct offset?
40mm offset works too.
You have some options feom fast wheels.
Also the enkei ev5.
You can go with 17&18, the 2.5 won’t throw codes.
4CD62A65-7AF3-40B5-A63D-7B154D9174B3.png

Last edited:
So would this setup work? Should I get a 3mm spacer to get the correct offset?

View attachment 720501
That should be correct, including the spacer comment, but it may only be required only in the front.
Best if you wait for @X.l.r.8 to confirm, he has this set and I was going to try it on to see if the 1.5 throws codes with it.

You can see what they look like and get some details in this post: