Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The A048 are most probably the loudest thigh-performance-tires available. They sound riding four Jumbo-Jets at once ;)

And these are the loudest thigh-performance pants! :wink:
57383.jpe

On a more serious note. My vehicle has 3000 miles and my rears are now showing the wear bars. I am looking to switch out the rears with what T-Dave has (Toyo Proxes R888). Problem is, the big chains in Houston don't have Toyo. The small stores can order it for me, but charge a premium over tiresdirect.net.

What have you guys done to replace tires? Did you order the tires and bring them to a shop for mounting? Also, what did you tell them about jacking up the car. I remember someone posted a photo of someone's Tesla that fell off the back of a lift. I'd like to avoid that.

I ordered my tyres from tirerack.com and had them shipped directly to the tire place. Then, I jacked the car myself and took the wheels to the place!

If you point out to the tire place that the car has clearly marked jacking points and remind them that the car can be inadvertently written off if lifted incorrectly I think you'll be fine.

Or, local Tesla dealer.

What have you guys done to replace tires? Did you order the tires and bring them to a shop for mounting? Also, what did you tell them about jacking up the car. I remember someone posted a photo of someone's Tesla that fell off the back of a lift. I'd like to avoid that.

Tirerack.com will ship them to most tire centers like Firestone...etc. I had some Continental DWS tires for my Jetta shipped to the local Firestone directly and they called me when they arrived. I went there and had them installed.

I ordered my tyres from tirerack.com and had them shipped directly to the tire place. Then, I jacked the car myself and took the wheels to the place!

Tdave said:
I order the tires shipped to my home. Then I jack up the car myself and bring loose wheels and tires in for a mount and balance.

Just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Now my only problem is that my second car isn't a pick-up or SUV. My wife will love me loading up two wheels and tires into our Lexus LS. If I'm lucky, I can get both wheels in the trunk, then both tires in the back seat.

Now my only problem is that my second car isn't a pick-up or SUV. My wife will love me loading up two wheels and tires into our Lexus LS. If I'm lucky, I can get both wheels in the trunk, then both tires in the back seat.

Based on past experience, Tire Rack does not pack the tires when they ship them: they just stick the UPS label on the threads. I think the largest garbage bag available (50 gallons?) are big enough to pack a tire.

They should fit K (4 tires always fit in my 450h just fine)...2 vertically behind the front seats & 2 horizontally on the back seats...make sure you bag them though...incredible how dirty tires are...

I found a friend with a pickup, we drove the tires to discount tire.

I just wanted to say how shocked I was that I could tell the difference. I've lived through many tire changes in the past. Sometimes, my tires were bald with steel belts showing through. I never could tell the difference. Either that means I'm not a sophisticated driver (which I don't claim to be) or any difference from new tires didn't make that much difference. Honestly, I didn't expect to appreciate any difference after the change, but based on earlier posts, if the new tires were quieter, I figured it would be a nice subtle difference. I also didn't expect much difference, because I was only changing the rears, the fronts still have a lot of tread (ODO=3100mi). The verdict: Switching the rears from Yoko A048 to Toyo Proxes R888 made a huge difference that would be hard to miss. Much smoother and quieter. I can recommend these tires as an excellent substitute for the stock tires (at least based on my initial impression). I am actually looking forward to wearing out the fronts, so I can change those too.

I have more then 13k km on my winter tire. they are still fine for at least 10k more km.
I was wrong. At 16k km I replaced today (6.4.11) to summer tire and the rear winter tire need to be replaced for next winter.

Last edited:
Toyo Proxes R888 Review

I now have over a month of driving experience with the new Toyo Proxes R888 tires. Here is my initial postings on this tire. See below for my updated review.

I just put these on my car, both front and rear:

Toyo Proxes R888 - Summer/Track, 100 wear rating

It's still cold here, so I can't give a complete review. But so far, I consider them to be phenomenal! The grip once they warm up is extraordinary. I'm convinced they're better than the stock A048 tires.

A word of warning. They can't be used in cold temperatures. Toyo has a warning about temps below 15 F. I'd be cautious about using them (or storing them) in temps below freezing. If you can store them in your garage in the winter, and use them in the warmer months of the year, then they're awesome.

I'll be interested to see how the treadlife holds up. They have a wear rating of 100, compared with the stock tire's 60 wear rating, so the rears should last about 7000 to 8000 miles and the fronts 15,000 to 20,000 miles. I'm satisfied with that.

I forgot to mention: The Toyo Proxes R888 tires are noticeably quieter than the Yoko A048 stock tires.

I consider the Toyo Proxes R888 tires to be the ideal max performance tire choice for all Roadster models (Sport and non-Sport).

Dry Conditions: This tire is ideal. Grip is exceptional, with no compromises. Slip during cornering is predictable, and increases with warning. There's no sudden loss of traction at the limit. The max traction capabilities equals that of the Yoko A048 max performance tire Tesla gives as an option.

Wet Conditions: Additional care must always be given in the wet. The Roadster uses all the dry traction this tire can provide, therefore in the wet you will slide more, and the traction control will engage during max acceleration. There's no getting around the physics here. Due to the minimal tread pattern, I expect this tire may hydroplane at higher speeds in heavy rain. I don't dare test it. That said, I haven't experienced any problems or lack of confidence at 60 mph highway speed in a moderate steady rain. Because of the minimal tread pattern, if you live in a rainy location, this tire may not be for you.

Tire Noise: I'm appreciating how quiet this tire is more every day, especially now that the weather is warmer and I'm driving with the top off. Compared with the Yoko A048, this tire is significantly quieter. I finally feel like I can enjoy silent driving. Now the motor sound is the predominant noise I notice once up to speed.

Tread Life: I'll have more to say once I have to replace the rears and see how many miles I get out of this tire. I got 5,000 miles (on the rear) from the Yoko A048 tires which have a tread wear rating of 60. The Toyo R888 has a tire wear rating of 100, so I'm expecting 50% more tread life. I'll report back later this year on what I actually get.

With the Toyo R888 being quite a bit cheaper, I'm happy all around. In every respect this tire is either better or equal to the Yoko A048. It's a no brainer better choice in my opinion.

kgb said:
I found a friend with a pickup, we drove the tires to discount tire.

I just wanted to say how shocked I was that I could tell the difference. I've lived through many tire changes in the past. Sometimes, my tires were bald with steel belts showing through. I never could tell the difference. Either that means I'm not a sophisticated driver (which I don't claim to be) or any difference from new tires didn't make that much difference. Honestly, I didn't expect to appreciate any difference after the change, but based on earlier posts, if the new tires were quieter, I figured it would be a nice subtle difference. I also didn't expect much difference, because I was only changing the rears, the fronts still have a lot of tread (ODO=3100mi). The verdict: Switching the rears from Yoko A048 to Toyo Proxes R888 made a huge difference that would be hard to miss. Much smoother and quieter. I can recommend these tires as an excellent substitute for the stock tires (at least based on my initial impression). I am actually looking forward to wearing out the fronts, so I can change those too.
UPDATE:

I am getting a very intermittent TPMS error. I sometimes go for days without it, but then I'll have it for a couple days. Problem is, I am too busy to go to Discount Tire and complain, because I am afraid I'll get there and the error will be gone. Is there an easy way to test/fix this, or will I have to bit the bullet and go back to Discount Tire?

UPDATE:

I am getting a very intermittent TPMS error. I sometimes go for days without it, but then I'll have it for a couple days. Problem is, I am too busy to go to Discount Tire and complain, because I am afraid I'll get there and the error will be gone. Is there an easy way to test/fix this, or will I have to bit the bullet and go back to Discount Tire?

I had an intermittent TMPS error when I first got the car. Had to replace one of the tire sensors. I doubt it has anything to do with your tires, or the installation.

Has anybody tried the Toyo Proxes T1R? It sounds like they would wear a lot less, but maybe not grip as well?
I only have 4k miles on my AD07's (with no visible wear) but these are the tires I'm looking at when I do need new ones - I'm hoping the larger front tires will help offset the higher treadwear rating (and assumed lower level of grip) and help diminish some of the heinous understeer in the Roadster.

I only have 4k miles on my AD07's (with no visible wear) but these are the tires I'm looking at when I do need new ones - I'm hoping the larger front tires will help offset the higher treadwear rating (and assumed lower level of grip) and help diminish some of the heinous understeer in the Roadster.

Really? I've got 6,700 km (4k miles) and my rear AD07's are almost shot. Do you drive like a little old lady, or do I have a really really heavy foot?