Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 with FSD - Do you have it? Would you buy it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, all. I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-owned Model S 90D (built 12/16) with these codes:

APF2 - FSD
APH2 - Hardware 2
APPB - enhanced AP

I've read other threads where some drivers complained that 2.0 was not as smooth or functional as 1.0. That 2.0 was only installed in about 73,000 vehicles before Tesla moved on to 2.5. But my understanding is that 1.0 can never have FSD, sign recognition and a few other features that are coming in the future.

I think I will love driving any Tesla, but I also want the most attractive and usable tech I can afford. Vehicles with 2.0 FSD fit the top of my budget. Buying newer is beyond my budget right now so I am wavering between 1.0 and 2.0. And I drove the Model 3 but prefer the larger car. Can you help me with these questions?

Is 2.0 upgradable/improvable? If Tesla develops improved hardware/chips, can 2.0 take advantage of these improvements?

After several years of software updates, how is 2.0 performing now?

Any other thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thank you.

I bought FSD during the great FSD fire sale of 2019 (ended towards the end of March).

I bought it for $2K, because I certainly wasn't going to pay $5K for it as listed on my account start page. I think it's now $6K after sale? Definietly would NOT buy until they start delivering the FSD features (i.e. self driving on surface streets...)

The $2K secured the HW2 to HW3 upgrade, or else I wouldn't have bought it.

2.0 is fantastic on the latest update 2019.20.4.2, though there is still the occasional phantom break. It does a much better job of not rocketing forward once a car starts to move forward, though it does leave a somewhat large gap even on the "1" setting. I drove a Model X AP 1.0 car, but that was eons ago, so I can't really provide that great of a comparison between the 2 systems.

I've read other threads where some drivers complained that 2.0 was not as smooth or functional as 1.0. That 2.0 was only installed in about 73,000 vehicles before Tesla moved on to 2.5. But my understanding is that 1.0 can never have FSD, sign recognition and a few other features that are coming in the future.
Your understanding is correct! 1.0 is a dead end! Whether it can still do some tricks better, will become irrelevant very soon. 2.0 is still hardware upgradable to the latest FSD computer. And if you have FSD option included, you will get that upgrade for free in the next few months! Well worth it if you want to have future self-driving features. The difference between 2.5 and 2.0 is not that important, so you should be fine!

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have AP2 and FSD in our early 2017 Model X. It works just like our AP2.5 Model 3. Both of the cars have FSD and should be upgraded to the new HW3 "FSD computer" when that happens. AP1 has a few quirks of its own, and a few things that only it does, but is at a dead end now. AP2.x with FSD is about as close to future proof as you can get now. And used is probably the cheapest path to FSD features.

...2.0 was not as smooth or functional as 1.0...

"Smooth" is not the same as "safe".

HW1 can auto lane change smoothly but it has only 1 front camera, and not 8 surrounding cameras, so: "Smooth" is not the same as "safe".

For "smooth", I would choose HW1. For "safe", I would choose HW2 and higher.

...Is 2.0 upgradable/improvable? If Tesla develops improved hardware/chips, can 2.0 take advantage of these improvements?...

Technically, HW2 and above can be upgraded to FSD.

But if you want FSD, I would buy a car that already had FSD paid because some owners have reported that Tesla gave used HW2 owner a hard time to pay for FSD.

HW2.5 has improved cameras and computer so HW2 doesn't have TeslaDashCam which we've heard so much about catching bad guys in the news.

Those already paid for FSD are promised an HW3 computer but there's no mention of any swapping of cameras.

...After several years of software updates, how is 2.0 performing now?...

Pretty good. It couldn't AutoSteer straight through a large intersection that has no lane markings to guide it through but now it can with most intersections now.

It now can do Navigation on Autopilot which is essentially on-ramp off-ramp automation with no human intervention needed but of course only on simple routes (not like automatically crossing 4 lanes at the last minute in heavy traffic...)

Reactions: arcus