Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2,000 transport fee for inventory cars is absurd for how LONG it takes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8/15 - placed my deposit - last status was in-transit to Costa Mesa.
8/18 - told that car completed reconditioning.
8/24 - told car was in-transit from Costa Mesa back to Fremont factory to get on a truck with other vehicles heading far east (I'm in Ohio).

No further status updates. So far the timeline isn't that bad if the car has left Fremont by now, but I have no idea if it has - DS said he would let me know as soon as he has information on it leaving Fremont, so my guess is it's still sitting there... or maybe hasn't even made it there yet. And hearing that some people wait 4+ weeks is INSANE considering I'm being charged $2K for shipping. If Tesla wants to take their sweet time shipping cars because they load as many as they can onto 1 truck, they need to charge less. For $2,000, my car should have been on its way to me directly from Costa Mesa within days of it completing reconditioning.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
That's ridiculous. You can easily arrange for shipping via a bonded and insured shipper for less than half that price. And have it picked up in California within 24 to 36 hours and arrive in Ohio four days later. Auto transport is a highly competitive business with lots of eager service providers.

Reactions: JPUConn
Our Tesla Model S 75D was in Denver so my wife and I purchased the one-way airfare from San Diego, CA to Denver, CO for $42 each ($84 total) and flew there on Tuesday morning, May 16, 2017. By noon we were on our way and drove back using the Supercharger network. It was a wonderful drive, loving the Auto pilot 2.0 and the supercharger experiences. I am retired but my wife was already on vacation for the week so it worked out. It did save us the $2,000 delivery charge, though.

The only problem with picking it up to avoid the $2000 Delivery charge and actually know your car won't get caught in transportation limbo is ... if its in California you are going to pay CA sales tax no matter what. No way around it. Trust me, I tried.

I'm picking up my 90D courtesy of a smoking hot deal (thank you SoCalJimmy) on an inventory car. Fortunately the tax rate was similar.

Nick

Tesla charged me $1,500 to ship my Model S from Denver to CT and it took a couple weeks.

I shipped the same car from CT to CA for $1,100 in less than 7 days

Shipped another Model S from Nevada to CT for $950 also less than 7 days.

I wonder if Tesla posts them to central dispatch super cheap to maintain a margin on the transport as there are plenty of quality carriers taking these cars.