TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2,000 transport fee for inventory cars is absurd for how LONG it takes

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Nitemare3219, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

8/15 - placed my deposit - last status was in-transit to Costa Mesa.
    8/18 - told that car completed reconditioning.
    8/24 - told car was in-transit from Costa Mesa back to Fremont factory to get on a truck with other vehicles heading far east (I'm in Ohio).

No further status updates. So far the timeline isn't that bad if the car has left Fremont by now, but I have no idea if it has - DS said he would let me know as soon as he has information on it leaving Fremont, so my guess is it's still sitting there... or maybe hasn't even made it there yet. And hearing that some people wait 4+ weeks is INSANE considering I'm being charged $2K for shipping. If Tesla wants to take their sweet time shipping cars because they load as many as they can onto 1 truck, they need to charge less. For $2,000, my car should have been on its way to me directly from Costa Mesa within days of it completing reconditioning.

• Like x 1
  2. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

We should also be able to track the vehicle one way or another - either a dedicated page on MyTesla, or give us strictly that functionality within the smartphone app and nothing else until the car is delivered.

• Like x 2
  3. Tforme

Tforme Member

That's ridiculous. You can easily arrange for shipping via a bonded and insured shipper for less than half that price. And have it picked up in California within 24 to 36 hours and arrive in Ohio four days later. Auto transport is a highly competitive business with lots of eager service providers.

• Like x 1
  4. Graffi

Graffi Member

Our Tesla Model S 75D was in Denver so my wife and I purchased the one-way airfare from San Diego, CA to Denver, CO for $42 each ($84 total) and flew there on Tuesday morning, May 16, 2017. By noon we were on our way and drove back using the Supercharger network. It was a wonderful drive, loving the Auto pilot 2.0 and the supercharger experiences. I am retired but my wife was already on vacation for the week so it worked out. It did save us the $2,000 delivery charge, though.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. stan23

stan23 Member

How about this:

I picked up the car from their Fremont Delivery Center. It was a few miles from where the car was built, and I still had to pay the destination fee of $1200.

6. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Yep, that $1,200 fee is charged to everyone, no matter where you pick up your car.

7. stan23

stan23 Member

I know, it was more of a tongue and cheek comment.

8. nickb411

nickb411 Member

The only problem with picking it up to avoid the $2000 Delivery charge and actually know your car won't get caught in transportation limbo is ... if its in California you are going to pay CA sales tax no matter what. No way around it. Trust me, I tried.

I'm picking up my 90D courtesy of a smoking hot deal (thank you SoCalJimmy) on an inventory car. Fortunately the tax rate was similar.

Nick

9. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Tesla charged me $1,500 to ship my Model S from Denver to CT and it took a couple weeks.

I shipped the same car from CT to CA for $1,100 in less than 7 days

Shipped another Model S from Nevada to CT for $950 also less than 7 days.

I wonder if Tesla posts them to central dispatch super cheap to maintain a margin on the transport as there are plenty of quality carriers taking these cars.