TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2.24.102 Update and Touch Screen Problems

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MDMGSO47, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Within a day of installing the 2.24.102 update (which finally activated my daylight running lights), the touch screen on my car would periodically go blank, requiring a reset.

I called Tesla Service which informed me that the problem was likely a faulty USB drive connected to the car. I do have a 128GB flash drive for musical media. However, I had plugged in the flash drive the day I bought the car, and had used it without any problem for 45 days until the 2.24.102 update.

I checked the flash drive and could find no problems. I gave it to my IT department, and they could find nothing wrong. I called Tesla Service and told them there was nothing wrong with my flash drive and the problem appeared to be caused by the 2.24.102 update. I was politely told that it was not the firmware update but the USB flash drive.

I developed a work around. I just plug in the USB drive when I am operating the car, and remove it before I turn the car off.

Today, I received an unsolicited call from Tesla Service informing me that indeed the problem was being caused by the 2.24.102 update, and a fix was in the works.

• Helpful x 3
  2. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

hmm... 2.24.102 is a pretty old firmware though, almost a month old, I'm running on 2.28.42 weeks ago, didn't notice this problem either on 2.24.102 or 2.28.42, I think the newest version is 2.28.75, They might fix it in between.

I do like a manually update route, instead of waiting like lottery.

3. royewest

royewest Member

If I connect large storage to the USB port (a FAT-formatted SSD) it pretty reliably freezes the touchscreen, requiring a "reboot." The first time this happened was when I realized I'm not so much a "driver" of my car as a "test pilot."

4. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

What is a "manual update route"? Can you force a firmware update?

5. privater

yes, drive to a Tesla service center and wait for a while, it will force the software update

6. Keiki

Keiki Member

I periodically drive to the service center for a supercharge (it's quiet in the early AM and I walk my dog while charging). I spend, roughly, 45 minutes there. I have never seen my MS screen offer a chance to update. I do not have the most recent updates and wonder if I need to do anything other than that in order to do a manual update.
    Please advise, and Thanks in advance.

7. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Unfortunately the nearest Service Center is 80 miles away.

8. privater

This method is confirmed by multiple threads and users including me: Firmware 7.1

But it's not 100% work, both time since last update, your VIN will result a update push to your car. drive to SC everyday doesn't always help. But highly increase the chance if you haven't got a update for sometime at home. There are following threads discuss about this 'aging' effect.