TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2-3 Tahoe trips/year, P85D. Chains, winter tires, or what?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Aargau, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Aargau

Aargau Member

Got the phone call from the rep advising against my 21" grey cyclone wheels in inclement weather for the P85D.

I was thinking I can always rent a car to drive up if there's serious snowfall on 50 or 80, but I noticed that Tesla sells chains.

What are people's thoughts/what do you plan to do?

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Small note: the 21" wheels are turbines, not cyclones. The Cyclones only come in 19".

It's not the wheel that's the issue, it's the tire. The 21" wheels come with Michilin Performance Sport 2 tires that are dangerous in the cold and snow.

My recommendation is that you purchase a second set of 19" wheels and tires for winter. Tesla offers this for $2500 now. You could also go with options from tire rack or the TST wheels.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Agree. Definitely don't drive on summer tires in snow and ice. Not worth it. Tesla winter tire package would be the easiest.