Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.48.16 limits max autosteer speed to speed limit on local roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me it wouldn't really matter. +5 makes autosteer pretty much useless to me and I turn off autopilot when the speed is restricted.

I'm interested to know what you mean by that? Is Autosteer only sometimes speed limited and sometimes not speed limited? Under what situation would it be limited? Why is it useless in those situations (just because you end up going to slow?)?

I don't have my car yet so interested in understanding.

I'm interested to know what you mean by that? Is Autosteer only sometimes speed limited and sometimes not speed limited? Under what situation would it be limited? Why is it useless in those situations (just because you end up going to slow?)?

He wants to speed.

I just hit the gas during auto steer

He wants to speed.

I just hit the gas during auto steer

Is autosteer always limited to 5+ over the limit? That would make it basically useless around Atlanta where all the speed limits are 55 but people drive 75 in the slow lanes. A group of Georgia State college students did an experiment/protest once where they got enough cars to fill all the lanes on the bypass around Atlanta and drove exactly the speed limit. The people stuck behind them lost their minds. It was crazy. Video below.

If the car thinks that it is on a restricted (non-interstate) road then yes, you are limited to +5 over the last speed limit sign the camera sees. This is a known issue for the many times the car is wrong about its position. TACC is not restricted. This restriction was introduced with FW 7.1.

I have been testing the auto steer "nags". If after 10 seconds or more, of engaging auto steer, you put your foot on the accelerator, at all, it will give you the nag screen immediately. This is not to say, that you're pressing the accelerator for 10 seconds, it just means that after you've engaged auto steer, if you press the accelerator, right after engaging, nothing will happen, until it's been engaged for 10 seconds. After that, anytime you press the accelerator pedal you will get the nag. This might be OK for stop and go traffic, but it is terrible when you're trying to maintain traffic flow.

My only trick to resolve this, is to just keep slight "turning" pressure on the wheel. That will resolve any nagging.

Now you all are confusing me. I do not have the latest point updates. With lane-keeping active the car is restricted to +5mph over the known speed limit on secondary roads. I understood OP to say that now the restriction is at the speed limit. If so, I'll pretty much stop using AP altogether.

A few others have answered that Autopilot is speed restricted on non-divided roads. The OP says in the latest update that limit changed from +5 to +0. For me even the +5 is too low as on a speed limit 35 road people are traveling anywhere from 40-50 mph. So I just don't use Autopilot in these situations.

A few others have answered that Autopilot is speed restricted on non-divided roads. The OP says in the latest update that limit changed from +5 to +0. For me even the +5 is too low as on a speed limit 35 road people are traveling anywhere from 40-50 mph. So I just don't use Autopilot in these situations.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought autosteer was only for use on highways and limited access roads per the user manual, so I'm surprised it lets you use it at all on surface streets if it knows you are on a surface street.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought autosteer was only for use on highways and limited access roads per the user manual, so I'm surprised it lets you use it at all on surface streets if it knows you are on a surface street.

It can be useful on surface streets, especially in heavy traffic. You just need to definitely keep your hands on the wheel, especially through intersections. When there are no lines it just follows the vehicle in front of you which might not be the best. But when traffic is moving 10 over the speed limit, it's time to turn off autopilot.

Latest update limits the autopilot speed on 2 lane roads to the speed limit?

Am I understanding that correctly?

It seems like the forum members would be loving their minds right now if that is correct. The car designed for California ...but misunderstands the roadway system in the rest of the country?

Latest update limits the autopilot speed on 2 lane roads to the speed limit?

Am I understanding that correctly?

It seems like the forum members would be loving their minds right now if that is correct. The car designed for California ...but misunderstands the roadway system in the rest of the country?

As someone else mentioned above, I think this is just getting everyone used to the fact that autonomous cars will not be able to intentionally break traffic laws (including speed limits).

Reactions: MP3Mike