Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 2010 Roadster, CPO, switched from drive to reverse at a stop sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a CPO model 2.5 210 roadster in October, today I came to a stop sign on a steep incline in Manhattan beach and when I hit the accelerator to accelerate away from the stop the car had automatically switched into reverse gear and we went backwards. Neither myself or my passenger were anywhere near the gearbox at the time.
Has anyone else experienced the car automatically changing from drive to reverse with no user input. It's a bit worrying to say the least!
Cheers
Sheena

no-one was hurt..

- - - Updated - - -

No one's arm or anything was near the buttons, my passenger commented on hearing it switch, but I suppose that could have been the regen. I don't remember the reverse screen being on nor does he. Tesla will pull the logs tomorrow.
It's so crazy I'm wondering if I was in reverse coming down the hill, I had stopped to pick up my passenger, can the car move forward in reverse? I read that the model S can do that.

I just tested it on steep hill, easily moved forward in reverse, so I maybe have still been in rev all along, in which case now I'm the idiot who called the computer company for help only to discover the computer was unplugged, ..the problem gasket between the steering wheel and the seat!. I'd suggest you all avoid the westside given my reversing forwards downhill problem. :(

Were you facing downhill? Anyway, glad everyone is ok and that it likely isn't sown thing wrong with that car that would be expensive to fix.

Ah, I see you did say you were going down the hill.

Last edited:
I interpreted the statement that the car will go forward when on reverse as meaning that if you put the car in R while not moving and then press the Fo pedal that the car will go forward instead. That can't happen, but apparently that scenario is not what is being discussed here. My apologies.

Regarding the topic you linked to, a post in that topic stated:

-----------
"The Model S does not let you shift into reverse while the car is moving forward, unless you are below 5 MPH (It might even be 3 MPH).
When you try to put the car in reverse while moving, it will simply beep at you. I do, however know that if you are simply coasting slowly forward, you can shift to reverse, as I do this each time I go to back into my garage. There is no grinding of gears, or undo stress on anything. If you are moving slow enough for it to let you shift to Reverse, it can take the strain."
-----------

And that has been my experience as well. Very sensible design and behavior.