TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2.5 color display

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by earthman01, Dec 4, 2015.

1. earthman01

earthman01 Member

Is it possible to retrofit a 2.5 dash display to a 2.0?

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

What do you mean by "dash display?" Do you mean the stereo?

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I didn't know there were any dash differences between those two Roadster versions.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The poster was not clear at all with his question. Dash display means the instrument cluster in car talk. I think feel supersnoop was most likely on about the stereo, but we'll never know until it'll get clarified.

5. earthman01

earthman01 Member

Clarification

Sorry for the confusion. On later model roadsters the is a 4x6 flat panel color display in the radio area beneath the central air vents. It would be much easier to read than the 2.5x2.5 inch display on the center console.

6. strider

strider Active Member

That is the radio. 2.5's still have the small VDS that is used for interacting with the car.

7. supersnoop

Yes, it's possible to retrofit, but it is expensive. Plan on $2,500 for the parts and labor just to fit the opening, and then you'll have to buy the radio yourself.

8. MileHighMotoring

The only option I'm aware of other than going it yourself is the Al & Eds shop in Hollywood CA that charges thousands for the modification. I think one might be better off selling their car and buying a 2.5 if that's super important to you. I'm going to post my solution shortly, I figured out a decent way for my 2.0 to have a large screen.

9. supersnoop

Tesla lists the carbon fiber binnacle for the 2.5 at $2,500 installed. Since the 1.5 is $800, I've always assumed it includes the labor to modify the opening.
    Tesla Carbon Fiber Stereo Binnacle

10. MileHighMotoring

So how much is it for a 2.5 owner to upgrade to a carbon fiber binnacle then? I don't think they're up for modifying anything. It's just a more expensive piece for some reason.

11. Rik

Rik Member

The 2.5 binnacle cost is to install the binnacle on a 2.5 roadster. If you are seeking to upgrade your dash from 2.0 to 2.5 there are several intensive modifications that Tesla, you, or third party must perform... AC duct adjustments are part of that. I asked for a quote from Tesla and have it somewhere... i vaguely recall a 6.5k price tag for 2.5 dash, double din stereo, backup camera, etc.

12. MileHighMotoring

If you're desperate for a backup camera, something like this might be a better choice than tearing up the dash.

13. Rik

Rik Member

The 2.5 binnacle cost is to install the binnacle on a 2.5 roadster. If you are seeking to upgrade your dash from 2.0 to 2.5 there are several intensive modifications that Tesla, you, or third party must perform... AC duct adjustments are part of that. I asked for a quote from Tesla and have it somewhere... i vaguely recall a 6.5k price tag for 2.5 dash, double din stereo, backup camera, etc.