Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 color display

earthman01

Jul 24, 2013
east coast, USA
Clarification

Sorry for the confusion. On later model roadsters the is a 4x6 flat panel color display in the radio area beneath the central air vents. It would be much easier to read than the 2.5x2.5 inch display on the center console.

strider

Oct 20, 2010
NE Oklahoma
Sorry for the confusion. On later model roadsters the is a 4x6 flat panel color display in the radio area beneath the central air vents. It would be much easier to read than the 2.5x2.5 inch display on the center console.
That is the radio. 2.5's still have the small VDS that is used for interacting with the car.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
Yes, it's possible to retrofit, but it is expensive. Plan on $2,500 for the parts and labor just to fit the opening, and then you'll have to buy the radio yourself.

May 27, 2015
Parker, CO
The only option I'm aware of other than going it yourself is the Al & Eds shop in Hollywood CA that charges thousands for the modification. I think one might be better off selling their car and buying a 2.5 if that's super important to you. I'm going to post my solution shortly, I figured out a decent way for my 2.0 to have a large screen.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
The only option I'm aware of other than going it yourself is the Al & Eds shop in Hollywood CA that charges thousands for the modification. I think one might be better off selling their car and buying a 2.5 if that's super important to you. I'm going to post my solution shortly, I figured out a decent way for my 2.0 to have a large screen.
Tesla lists the carbon fiber binnacle for the 2.5 at $2,500 installed. Since the 1.5 is $800, I've always assumed it includes the labor to modify the opening.
Tesla Carbon Fiber Stereo Binnacle

Rik

Sep 12, 2013
Northern VA
The 2.5 binnacle cost is to install the binnacle on a 2.5 roadster. If you are seeking to upgrade your dash from 2.0 to 2.5 there are several intensive modifications that Tesla, you, or third party must perform... AC duct adjustments are part of that. I asked for a quote from Tesla and have it somewhere... i vaguely recall a 6.5k price tag for 2.5 dash, double din stereo, backup camera, etc.

Rik

Sep 12, 2013
Northern VA
The 2.5 binnacle cost is to install the binnacle on a 2.5 roadster. If you are seeking to upgrade your dash from 2.0 to 2.5 there are several intensive modifications that Tesla, you, or third party must perform... AC duct adjustments are part of that. I asked for a quote from Tesla and have it somewhere... i vaguely recall a 6.5k price tag for 2.5 dash, double din stereo, backup camera, etc.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC