TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2.5 Sport #1203 on eBay

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by TEG, Sep 9, 2011.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2. strider

strider Active Member

Condition: New? Uh, wrong.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Registered on 3/1/2011... 249 miles. "Almost new".

4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I did more miles than that my first weekend....

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Their definition of 'new':

6. strider

strider Active Member

markwj: Exactly. It has plates on it so I have to assume it's registered. Therefore it's not new.

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

That had to go new for about $170k including all options, battery replacement and extended warranty. Unlike most of the other used cars we've seen, this is the first version 2.5 that is configured nicely. If I had seen this when I bought my Roadster, I would have seriously considered this. I could have driven it home too!

8. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

#8 PopSmith, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    They re-listed it earlier in the week but no one bid on it and the re-listed auction ended tonight. I wonder if they'll re-list it again.

Since it's basically new (249 miles) that actually seems like a great deal considering it's loaded. If the battery replacement and service extension both transfer it makes me curious why no one has even bid on it. I sure hope the owner is keeping it plugged in (in storage mode).

9. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I hope they're not keeping it plugged in and keeping it in storage mode instead. Or plugged in storage mode... The battery replacement and extended service stay with the car regardless of current owner. The reason it's not selling is because that price is way higher than any other used Roadster that's ever sold that we know of. Generally the price of most of the options doesn't transfer very well to the used price.

10. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Thanks for the information. I've edited my post to reflect "in storage mode" which is what I was thinking originally.

11. zack

zack Member

Hmm. I own # 1204. That's it's older sister. Twin, even. Not quite the color combination for me. Nice package though! Great price if the reserve is close to start. It'd be interesting to know the story, huh?

12. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

Back in September I spoke by phone and exchanged emails with the seller of this car. The car was bought by a guy in Connecticut late in his life as a sort of dream car when he realized that he didn't have much time left on the planet. That was December of 2010. He died soon after that, so the car has less than 300 miles. It has been plugged in and garaged ever since. His wife is also elderly and the family wants to sell the car, so the son in law has been tasked with selling it. He's a very nice guy.

I told him about market prices. But the original buyer said "don't take less than $140K" on his death bed, so the wife was unwiling to get into the range of what I thought was reasonable. As a result, I ended up buying #835, and I'm now upgrading it to a 2.5 from a 2.0 with Al & Ed's - the guys who I understand invented a substantial amount of the 2.5 and other upgrades in Dr. Taras's cars and others (double DIN, CF air ducts, rear spoiler, sills, dashboard, etc.). While I think the price is fair, and cheap compared to others (the price also includes buying the parts from Tesla the front end and rear diffuser parts), the better way to go would be to buy the car already done. Of course, I'm also getting it painted yellow, so I willl have my dream car when I'm done, albeit with 15K more miles (but I still get 187+ ideal miles, so it's all good).

Well after brewing on it, the seller of #1203 emailed me this morning and has agreed to drop the price. I am posting here because I think that there is a chance here to can get a lower price for than if it goes to eBay. I say that because, as you may recall, this car is loaded. It sold new for $159K plus the warranty and battery replacement, so about $175K. And it is still basically as it was. In my opinion, this is by far the nicest used Roadster I have seen for sale (Sport, CF exterior, exec leather, entertainment...). Here is a link: Tesla Tesla | eBay

If anyone here is willing to pay $120K I can get you the car for that, delivered. I believe it will go for more than that in an eBay auction. If you're interested, PM me and I can put you in touch with the owner, or you can contact him directly through eBay. His name is Derek.

But don't delay as I expect the auction will start soon on eBay.

- Chris

13. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yep, that would be an excellent value.