Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 vs 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have a delivery scheduled for this week. Is there any easy way to confirm if my car has the 3.0 computer? I did not order FSD.

I thought about bringing a pilon lol

Appreciate the help

What would be the purpose of trying to verify if you have the version 3 computer, especially if you didnt order FSD? You going to reject the car if it doesnt have it?

What would be the purpose of trying to verify if you have the version 3 computer, especially if you didnt order FSD? You going to reject the car if it doesnt have it?

I'd reject it if I knew it didn't have HW3 if not buying FSD at this point.

Because there are many things that will improve with HW3 regardless of FSD. Like better Visuals, Auto High Beam, Auto Wipers. As well as basic Auto Pilot, Traffic Aware Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot, Emergency Braking etc. all use the Neural Net computer.

I don't want to Jinx myself but I swear this last release may have drastically improved Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers (which are Neural Net Based).

I also think "Start up" is much quicker and you can put the car into drive immediately and the backup camera comes up immediately now. I can't say for sure these Start Up improvements are attributed to HW3, but it's interesting all these things improved on the first release that started using HW3. It could be as simple as the MCU waits for the AP Computer for all it's self tests to complete before allowing the car to go in gear and that all now happens faster. Regardless this Version 36 is a huge improvement all around (and none of it has to do with FSD). And the folks with HW2.0 don't even have this release yet.

I also wouldn't want to have to have my dash ripped apart for the upgrade if not necessary, as it does on Model X upgrades. Model 3 I believe isn't so invasive. So I think OP has a very valid question.

OP should ask his Order Adviser for the Build Date. That should help confirm if it's more likely to have HW3. And it wouldn't hurt to ask Order Adviser if it has HW3. I'm not sure how reliable that answer is these days.

Last edited:
I'd reject it if I knew it didn't have HW3 if not buying FSD at this point.

Because there are many things that will improve with HW3 regardless of FSD. Like better Visuals, Auto High Beam, Auto Wipers. As well as basic Auto Pilot, Traffic Aware Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot, Emergency Braking etc. all use the Neural Net computer.

I don't want to Jinx myself but I swear this last release may have drastically improved Auto High Beam and Auto Wipers (which are Neural Net Based).

I also think "Start up" is much quicker and you can put the car into drive immediately and the backup camera comes up immediately now. I can't say for sure these Start Up improvements are attributed to HW3, but it's interesting all these things improved on the first release that started using HW3. It could be as simple as the MCU waits for the AP Computer for all it's self tests to complete before allowing the car to go in gear and that all now happens faster. Regardless this Version 36 is a huge improvement all around (and none of it has to do with FSD). And the folks with HW2.0 don't even have this release yet.

I also wouldn't want to have to have my dash ripped apart for the upgrade if not necessary, as it does on Model X upgrades. Model 3 I believe isn't so invasive. So I think OP has a very valid question.

OP should ask his Order Adviser for the Build Date. That should help confirm if it's more likely to have HW3. And it wouldn't hurt to ask Order Adviser if it has HW3. I'm not sure how reliable that answer is these days.

I'm rejecting the car if it doesn't have HW 3.0. Is there anyway I can check at delivery?

Regardless if I'm buying FSD or not, there are obvious advantages to having the latest chip. I'm not going to get in the way of that.

Reactions: Leeclanual
The cone idea will not work. The car needs to be driven for a while for the sensors to calibrate and Autopilot to be enabled.

If I was Tesla I would not be good with a potential customer pulling off access panels to look around.

Best might be to just call the delivery center. They should be able to tell if you have FSD chip.

Reactions: mswlogo
Doesn't the car need to be in self driving mode to detect it? I suspect the delivery happens in doors.

Does the car need to be running V10 as well the 3.0 to see the cone?

No, the car does not need to be in Auto Pilot (which I don't call self driving just yet) to see cones on the Screen. Not sure if it will see the cone without Autopilot Calibration though.

BTW, I was half joking when I sugested it.

I'm rejecting the car if it doesn't have HW 3.0. Is there anyway I can check at delivery?

Regardless if I'm buying FSD or not, there are obvious advantages to having the latest chip. I'm not going to get in the way of that.

Why you replying to me? I'm agreeing with you. I think you meant to reply to the guy questioning your reasoning.
I'd want the HW3, especially if I have no plans to buy FSD.

Get the Build Date.
Ask your Tesla Contact to Check.
And Bring a Cone just in case :) Not sure if Calibrartion is required to see a cone in the parking lot.

Is your car getting base Auto Pilot?

The cone idea will not work. The car needs to be driven for a while for the sensors to calibrate and Autopilot to be enabled.

If I was Tesla I would not be good with a potential customer pulling off access panels to look around.

Best might be to just call the delivery center. They should be able to tell if you have FSD chip.
You can always wear a cone on your head and eventually convince yourself you're seeing a cone.

<In my Professor Hulk voice>
HW3!

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Why you replying to me? I'm agreeing with you. I think you meant to reply to the guy questioning your reasoning.
I'd want the HW3, especially if I have no plans to buy FSD.

Get the Build Date.
Ask your Tesla Contact to Check.
And Bring a Cone just in case :) Not sure if Calibrartion is required to see a cone in the parking lot.

Is your car getting base Auto Pilot?

I think OP was just agreeing with you and your reasoning. I was just curious if lack of hardware was going to make someone reject the car.

Is your car brand new? Recent build date?
Was not aware of any cars built in past couple months not being HW 3.0 so don't think you need to worry if buying a new car.

There was a few fits and starts once Elon said all Lines were switched over. Some thought they were trying to use up some HW 2.5 stock for non FSD cars. Especially outside of USA. So it wouldn't hurt to check if it's important to you.

Not sure if there are any recent reports of HW 2.5 still delivered.