Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.50.180 Auto Headlights Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be that the sensitivity is just set to low but I opened a case with Tesla regardless. We are suppose to have full sun tomorrow so I will see it that will make a difference and report back.

I have experienced the same, I have seen in other threads users confirming the same as I see, I am going out in the sun today, and I am taking car to SC for other scheduled work, and I will mention it and see what they say.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Ok, I had some success today and I'll share my experience. The net is that I believe the sensors are capturing light ineffectively or they are simply too sensitive.

When I drove in full sun, the lights turned off but when I drove down a road that is in a wooded area with tree shadows the lights turned on. When I went through my bank's covered drive through, they turned on until full sun was detected again.

When I drove to the west where the sky was littered with overcast the lights turned on. In the opposite direction where there was full sun without shadows or overcast, the lights turned back off.

Ok, I had some success today and I'll share my experience. The net is that I believe the sensors are capturing light ineffectively or they are simply too sensitive.

When I drove in full sun, the lights turned off but when I drove down a road that is in a wooded area with tree shadows the lights turned on. When I went through my bank's covered drive through, they turned on until full sun was detected again.

When I drove to the west where the sky was littered with overcast the lights turned on. In the opposite direction where there was full sun without shadows or overcast, the lights turned back off.
Same for me (one week old MS60 w/2.50.180). Headlight turns off eventually after leaving garage. Most of the time headlights were off during drive (SoCal freeway) but when I go under bridges/overpass, the headlights would turn a for a bit then turn off. It wasn't consistent though, both the delay and the duration.

Does anyone know which sensor is used and its location?

Reactions: dbw77

Same happened for me today. I noticed on a freeway with no shadows, lights did go off. If I went under a bridge even for 2 seconds with shadow, the lights came on, took a little bit then went off.

Seems like it is ultra sensitive, but it is sensing the light.

I am not sure, they are either using the cameras, I do notice a small sensor in the upper left (when facing the car - on drivers side) of the top of the camera assembly -- a small dot that looks like a light sensor maybe.

Service Center said to wait for more software updates... no surprise.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Another observation while driving today. When I passed through a shaded area in a large parking lot, the lights came on and didn't turn off even though 2 seconds later I was in full sun. It wasn't until I turned around to where the sun was in my eyes (front of the car) before the lights turned off again.

With the latest software release, the "Auto Headlights" feature on AP2 has been enabled.

Unfortunately, on my car, the "Auto" mode doesn't seem to recognize daylight. The headlights are always on in "Auto" (as is the headlight indicator on the instrument cluster).

Has anyone else noticed this...or am I doing something wrong or not waiting long enough for them to turn off?
Why would you want to turn them off?
It is a safety thing, so you can be seen all the time.
In Canada, its been mandatory for years so perhaps the U.S. is finally catching up with the times!
It's always a good practice to have your lights on all the time. Same for motorcycles because you don't want to take chances.

Reactions: wesley888
Because people are Stupid, Blind and Unobservant.
Whatever gives you a slight edge might make the difference.
Also most auto DRL don't give you the lights in the rear (running lights or parking lights).
I would hope the full headlights give you both.

Same thing here. Live in Central California and we've had a mix of sun and clouds the past couple weeks. From my observation, headlights have been always on with the headlights set to auto.

I thought it was just indicating the DRL are on, then lights would sense evening and auto hi-beams. if it is a glitch or over-sensitivity, I do hope for an update. In my opinion, it may drain a little more juice, but better to be seen so I'm with the always on is better than the alternative crowd.