TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2,500 for 1.0s improvement 0-60mph?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitex, Jul 3, 2017.

Tags:
?

75/75D owners, would you pay $2,500 for an upgrade to improve 0-60 by 1 second?

1. Yes

95 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

False, you entered into contract with Tesla to get the car you ordered at the price agreed on.

• Like x 1
  2. Softblue

Softblue Member

Today I got noticed from the delivery team that my not yet delivered S75 does not have the upgrade.
    So it is not hypothetical anymore.

3. Mickie

Mickie Member

I voted yes given the option as a current standing owner. But to cancel an order and reorder? Not so sure, kind of a slippery slope there. By time your reordered car is nearing production, they'll pull the demand lever on something else and make you start pondering another $2,500 switch. That's no way to live.

4. mreinhorn

mreinhorn Member

Has anyone tested their 0-60 times? Are there apps out there? I did a very unscientific test yesterday with a passenger. 0-60 was 5.15 and 4.8 sec. Felt great. I do feel that acceleration improved with software unlock of 75D from 60D. I'd probably plunk down another $2500 for acceleration equal to a 90D. I almost switched from 60 - 90D last minute due to range anxiety for longer trips ( I was upgrading from VW eGolf ). a recent 2000 mile road trip with 3 kids in the back was no problem and the kids needed longer stops than the Tesla did, so a 90 would have allowed me to put a roof rack on to carry more unnecessary beach toys.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I wish people would stop doing this. It's becoming obvious that it's setting people up to be upset at an unrealized fantasy. We've been here before, multiple times. It's saddening.

• Like x 1
  6. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Sorry to hear. I was thinking of paying $13000 extra for the 90 battery primarily for the extra second of performance. So ignoring any other factors I would pay the $2,500. Good luck with the decision.

• Like x 1
  7. Emmies

Emmies Member

42500 - it would be hard to justify that. $1,000 - where do i sign up!? Take my money!

8. sport1000

sport1000 Member

5.5s is already fast enough for me. I'd gladly take $2,500 back to increase to 6.5s! :p

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. number12

number12 Supporting Member

It's not just 1.0 0-60. It's a new better built drive train.. right?

Reorder. Later the build the better the tesla. If you can wait, wait.

That is what they are teaching everyone. I almost considered trading in my AP1 for AP2. Now I will just keep waiting and by 2019 there might be another company offering something better. Who knows.

10. whitex

whitex Active Member

For some it may also be no way to live constantly regretting what could have been if they did exercise that option. ;)

• Funny x 2
  11. Ross_K

Ross_K Member

btw I think you misread my post. Or you completely forgot what you actually posted. You specifically said the dilemma was in regards to reservation reservation holders, not those who have a car being shipped as we speak. I even quoted this in my reply for clarity. And even I said in my reply there is no dilemma if the car is in queue for production/at the reservation stage. I'm not sure I could have made that clearer. Calm yourself.

12. D.E.

D.E. Uncorked

I'd pay the money for the additional performance, so I'd cancel and reorder.

The car is awesome either way. It'll restart your order process so add a month or so delay. You might justify the additional expense it by considering that it should fetch a bit more if and when you choose to sell it, so your final net cost would likely be a little less than the lost deposit amount. For me it'd be a no brainer.

Good luck.

13. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

...hence the "one wonders".

People are capable of making their own judgment calls and living with the consequences.

14. whitex

whitex Active Member

Based on the poll, I now see why Tesla is not throwing any deep discounts at the old 75's in inventory. If they discounted those cars by just $2,500, almost 1 in 3 people (as per the poll results right now) will be happy to take the money in lieu of the faster car. Possibly a lower discount , like $1,000, might make it 1 in 5, but either way that means Tesla should not have any problems moving the existing inventory without having to result to deep discounts for "slow" cars.