Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.52.22 Autolock on walk away doesn't work - security issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure you lock your cars with the key fob folks until this is fixed.

I don't usually get too phased by software bugs, but this one is pretty serious (and obvious).

Only found by chance by going outside this evening (without my key) to find the charging port lights still flashing.
Touched the door handle and hey presto the car presented the handles and woke up.

Damn fortunate no undesirables nicked any of my company stuff out of the boot overnight, particularly with a set of green flashing LEDs drawing attention to the car all night.

Manual reset of both displays didn't resolve, fortunately locking from the fob works correctly.

This definitely goes into the category of "Poor Effort" by Tesla and really calls into question their Software Test regime.
If something as simple as this isn't picked up in Automated Software Testing who know what else could be flaky in the software.

No doubt a fix will come along soon, but please Tesla reinforce your software test process prior to release.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and rajpatel486

I don't usually get too phased by software bugs, but this one is pretty serious (and obvious).

Only found by chance by going outside this evening (without my key) to find the charging port lights still flashing.
Touched the door handle and hey presto the car presented the handles and woke up.

Damn fortunate no undesirables nicked any of my company stuff out of the boot overnight, particularly with a set of green flashing LEDs drawing attention to the car all night.

Manual reset of both displays didn't resolve, fortunately locking from the fob works correctly.

This definitely goes into the category of "Poor Effort" by Tesla and really calls into question their Software Test regime.
If something as simple as this isn't picked up in Automated Software Testing who know what else could be flaky in the software.

No doubt a fix will come along soon, but please Tesla reinforce your software test process prior to release.
@thegruf - have you rebooted since the update? I've tested mine 4 times at different locations and it works as before.

I had a similar issue back on New Year's Eve when a friend didn't shut the door all the way. We unknowingly left the car unattended/unlocked for hours but luckily nobody noticed. I didn't notice there was an issue until I tried pre-heating the car and it wouldn't work.

I haven't seen the issue since then...but have been careful to ensure all the doors have been closed when I've left the car.

I'm having a issue after the update. When I park the car and get out. All 4 handles are presented. When I go to open the rear door behind me, it retracts back in without opening the door then presents itself again and works normally. It happened twice now.

• Disagree
Reactions: Joe F

There was an issue just like this well over a year ago. It could have been close to two years ago.

Try turning off the walk-away door locking, and then turning it back on. That was a work-around when this issue existed in the past. Of course Tesla did correct the issue quickly.

Please try that and let us know if it works.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and mblakele
I wonder if Tesla would ever let certain owners sign up to be beta testers for new software updates. I know they test internally but having more people doing it will create a greater chance of finding issues before the update goes live.

Tesla has a beta program that has about 1000 people in it last we heard. It's called the EAP, or Early Access Program. For the most part, they seem to test major new features in major releases, but it doesn't seem like they test all the incremental "bug fix" type releases.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and rajpatel486
I had this problem after the update. Turns out the update turned the auto lock feature off. Turned it back on and it works again.

Please see post number 10 in this thread. Aw, heck...here:

There was an issue just like this well over a year ago. It could have been close to two years ago.

Try turning off the walk-away door locking, and then turning it back on. That was a work-around when this issue existed in the past. Of course Tesla did correct the issue quickly.

Please try that and let us know if it works.

It's amazing that these regressions pop up still. This and other faults imply that the underlying software is fragile and not well designed.

I work for a Fortune 10 company, and the software we use to serve dozens of millions of clients breaks with extreme regularity. Even basic job-essential functions.

I think that's just called having a large, multi-functional piece of software that undergoes multiple updates. It's impossible to predict every fringe case, this obviously isn't a widespread bug.

I work for a Fortune 10 company, and the software we use to serve dozens of millions of clients breaks with extreme regularity. Even basic job-essential functions.

I think that's just called having a large, multi-functional piece of software that undergoes multiple updates. It's impossible to predict every fringe case, this obviously isn't a widespread bug.
Just how big and complicated is the software in a Tesla, though? I'm sure @wk57 and some other here have some idea. It seems pretty simple, honestly, and they aren't even saddled with decades of legacy code. (The autopilot stuff does actually seem pretty cutting edge, so I'll give them a pass on that.)
I don't mean to bash, but stuff like walkaway lock problems reoccurring and equalizer settings not persisting just make me wonder. It could be harder than I think, but those kinds of things seem like they should be caught in unit testing before it even hits the sorce code repository. I'm more curious than anything about what the dev process is like.

Software is always bigger and more complicated than you would think. Software for automobiles covers dozens of control modules that interact with each other over communication links. The total lines of code can be staggering.

EVs do not need engine or transmission controllers, but they do need a motor controller, battery controller, DC-DC converter, and on-board charger. That is two more than an ICE! Hybrids are even more complicated, with 100 controllers in a Chevy Volt, and over one billion lines of code, IIRC.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy