Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.9.12 HVAC better, Bluetooth busted, voice cmds gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
These things were working yesterday before 7.2.9.12 commit.
Today they don't.

Phone app reports a problem with bluetooth. Fails to initialize. REQUIRES SERVICE. great.

Voice commands for navigation, and music ... are not recognized speak more clearly next time, ya, right.

Multiple reboots in various sequences and simultaneously... no joy.

Oh ya, left rear door slow to react to pulls... yank, one thousand two one thousand threeeee and kachung she opens.

THINK before you take this new drop.

Software is out of control. Time to EJECT MUSK? Let someone else hire software people.

Last edited:
Calling for the ejection of a CEO because of a few bugs that are in your car, but you have no idea if others would have the problem? Take a deep breath... have a glass of wine.

Also, I hope you did the obligatory reboot (or two) to see if it cleared any of this up before posting this.

Sounds like a software update that failed on some items... I am on 2.9.12 and don't experience any of those. Talk to your service center, _maybe_ they can push it again OTA... Otherwise I imagine you will need to visit them (or get a ranger to you).

Can you give us your thoughts on any HVAC improvements observed?

I am sorry that it might not be useful to you, but... It worked great on 6.2, worked equally well too on all three builds of 7.0 I received so far (2.7.56 - 2.7.106 - 2.9.12). Absolutely no complaint. Heats comes quickly and cabin is comfortable, everything in AUTO mode. My VIN is in the 25xxx. We've got plenty of cold and some snow already.

I am sorry that it might not be useful to you, but... It worked great on 6.2, worked equally well too on all three builds of 7.0 I received so far (2.7.56 - 2.7.106 - 2.9.12). Absolutely no complaint. Heats comes quickly and cabin is comfortable, everything in AUTO mode. My VIN is in the 25xxx. We've got plenty of cold and some snow already.
Thanks for the follow-up.

Ever since my 69xxx P85D got 7.x the climate control heat has been weaker. I did notice on my trip (temperature ranges from 60°F to -4°F) that the heat was great -- strong and maintained temperature -- at superchargers but completely failed on both counts while travelling. That makes me hopeful that it's purely a software/firmware issues rather than a hardware one.

Two days before my trip they upgraded my firmware with comment something like "it should be better, but customers still complaining and a new firmware is coming soon that addresses it even more" w/r/t heating. I'm hoping that 2.9.12 (or some firmware I get soon) is the one they're talking about.

I haven't gone far with 2.9.12 yet, but initial impression is that the climate control is more aggressive (higher fan speed then before in same situation), haven't yet tried anything else other than poking through a few menus so I can't speak to much else on this release yet.

Right. that was my experience too.. 7.0 killed HVAC heating with newfound and touted "efficiency"!

2.9.12 now allows FAN and HEATER to work in conjunction with one another, i.e. "blow hot air hard" (like it used to in 6.2)

goodbye newfound efficiency

Sometimes, you just need heat. And considering there's enough battery power in the car to melt all metal in the car to a blob, it's nice to unleash some again on the heater element.

Calling for the ejection of a CEO because of a few bugs that are in your car, but you have no idea if others would have the problem? Take a deep breath... have a glass of wine.

Also, I hope you did the obligatory reboot (or two) to see if it cleared any of this up before posting this.

Multiple reboots in various sequences and simultaneously... no joy.

- - - Updated - - -

Montreal does not count as a cold city. :tongue:
You might never notice the difference of HVAC heater algorithm changes in that locale. Lucky you.

Works great for me. Only change I noticed other than the stated navigation search bar is the AutoPilot restrictions. Autopilot will now disengage when the driver's seatbelt is unfastened.

As someone said earlier, maybe you just need a reinstall of the software. I haven't had any issues at all.

I found that 7.0 heating prior to 2.9.12 was reasonable for the first 15 or 20 minutes but temperature became erratic after that; particularly on the highway. 2.9.12 seems to work perfectly - temp is stable again.

I found that 7.0 heating prior to 2.9.12 was reasonable for the first 15 or 20 minutes but temperature became erratic after that; particularly on the highway. 2.9.12 seems to work perfectly - temp is stable again.

That's good to hear. I was able to futz around with the manual settings to get it the way I liked, but the constant drifting down of the temperature while underway is really troublesome. Looking forward to getting the update myself.

That's good to hear. I was able to futz around with the manual settings to get it the way I liked, but the constant drifting down of the temperature while underway is really troublesome. Looking forward to getting the update myself.

I think that update should do it for you, after some checking with the REST api, I have a logging app that runs 24/7. I can get some example pictures, but basically prio to 2.9.12 (but on 7.0) it was quite aggressively targeting the setpoint temperature. I had it set to 21.5C and thats what I was getting precisely. I was happy with that myself.

Now on 2.9.12, it does like on 6.2, it just reach target and overshoot largely, without correcting. Set 21C you get 23-24C after 15-20 min... I find it stupid, but its what people wants.

The next complaint will come when they'll add the actual cabin temperature on the display (and its probably why they don't). Set HVAC it to 21C, and showing the real inside temperature of 23C.

I think its mostly that we are used to that, and while driving in the cold we get colder and colder and need more and more heat to feel comfortable. Having to bump the set point to 21.5, then 22, then 23.5 and so on would be annoying.

So this update restore the original lazy temperature control: Set something, get more.

7.0 prior to 2.9.12, get what you set
7.0.png

6.2 & 7.0 with 2.9.12 (get whatever over what you set)
2.9.12.png

INow on 2.9.12, it does like on 6.2, it just reach target and overshoot largely, without correcting. Set 21C you get 23-24C after 15-20 min... I find it stupid, but its what people wants.

I think I'm seeing something completely different. Prior to 7, I had to keep the temperature at 67 to make the car "feel" like 72 did in every other car I've owned. Okay... no big deal and I got used to it.

With 7, I found that I had to bump the temperature up to 72. It seems to get there just fine, but the car clearly is drifting down as I drive. My feet and legs get quite cold. Whereas 67 used to be "fine" before, now I have to start out at 72 and eventually bump it up to almost 80 over the course of a 1 hour trip.

I think its mostly that we are used to that, and while driving in the cold we get colder and colder and need more and more heat to feel comfortable. Having to bump the set point to 21.5, then 22, then 23.5 and so on would be annoying.

It is annoying, but I'm not convinced that I just start to "feel" colder. It really seems to me like the interior actually is getting colder, but, of course, I have no actual measurements to verify that.

Looking forward to seeing how 2.9.12 works when I eventually get it.