Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2-button reset not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I’ve done some searching but haven’t found anything helpful.

Basically, the 2-button reboot doesn’t work on my MYP. Or more accurately, it works differently than it did on my previous Teslas. It goes like this:

- Hold down the steering wheel buttons.
- After several seconds, the cellular radio disables itself. (Slash through signal bars.) Music stops playing.
- After that you can keep holding forever, nothing else is going to happen.
- Let go and press again.
- This time, it reboots.

Does ANYONE else have this behavior? It seems like a software thing, so I don’t understand how it could just be me. It’s worked this way across every version of the software I’ve had since I took delivery in April.

Reactions: yourhero
This is from my MS manual, probably the same for the MY, you can check your manual:

Restarting the Touchscreen
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it to potentially resolve the issue.
NOTE: To ensure the safety of vehicle occupants as well as other road users, restarting the touchscreen should be done only when the vehicle is in Park.
1. Shift into Park.
2. Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black.
3. After a few seconds, the Tesla logo appears. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle.

Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.
1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There's two procedures fwiw, soft reset and hard reboot. Holding the scroll wheels is for soft reset. Holding the scroll wheels while pressing the brake performs a hard reboot.

I had run into the mcu not responding to any touch. The car was still driveable so I did a hard reset soon as I had the chance and everything came back. Computers...

There's two procedures fwiw, soft reset and hard reboot. Holding the scroll wheels is for soft reset. Holding the scroll wheels while pressing the brake performs a hard reboot.

I had run into the mcu not responding to any touch. The car was still driveable so I did a hard reset soon as I had the chance and everything came back. Computers...

This has been stated to be incorrect (the brake pedal thing).

No, the hard reboot is done through the screen - can't remember exactly where. But brake pedal not involved in either.

Reactions: thesmokingman
- Hold down the steering wheel buttons.
- After several seconds, the cellular radio disables itself. (Slash through signal bars.) Music stops playing.
- After that you can keep holding forever, nothing else is going to happen.
- Let go and press again.
- This time, it reboots.
Yup, that's what I found: The first time I held down the buttons, it wouldn't reboot, but my phone connection stopped......It was only when I did it a second time that it actually rebooted (as described in post 3). I have an MYLR.

Reactions: DriverOne
At this point my recommendation is:

1. Gain access to the 12v battery and remove the ground wire
  2. Disconnect the high voltage loop
  3. Wait 5-minutes
  4. Reconnect the high voltage loop
  5. Reconnect the battery ground
  6. If the car does not wake up in a 2-3 minutes, enter the car and step on the brake

Good luck!

• Funny
Reactions: Mike_TV