Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"2 days to make any changes".. reconfirm for P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably typical of some purchasers, I've alternated between wondering why I'm spending so much on a car, and wondering if I'd made a mistake forgoing the P85 in favor of an S85. Then I drove a 60 and found that its acceleration was still way more than anything I'd experienced. I placed my order having only driven a P85 and an P+; after the 60 experience I concluded I'd made a perfectly good choice for me: the 85 will be very grinworthy. And FWIW the P+ had winter 19" tires and still carved corners terrifically well.

It's worth noting that the two complaints I see most frequently are from some S60 owners wishing they went with an 85 instead and from owners who went with 21s frustrated at the short tread life and cost of maintenance for replacement (and thus switching to 19s). I can't think of any other complaints I've seen regarding ordering.

True enough, and I probably was being a little rosy with my comments. I would agree, these are the two things I have read the most, and I feel as if I've exhausted the entirety of this forum.

I asked my DS if Tesla would deliver me a P85+ without the 21s and she made it clear they were unwilling to do so. I was on the fence about the stiffness anyway, so for me this sealed it - P85 it would be. I'm pretty fired up regardless.

The way it was phrased to me was "the 21 inch requirement is part of the package". I've read elsewhere that owners had to sign waivers to have 19s mounted - after purchasing with 21s. I don't know what they were waiving, but I didn't like the sound of that and would have likely been unwilling to waive any of my warranty rights.

My only guess is that the 6500 doesn't cover the labor and parts for the upgrade. They need to sell the 21s at 4500 in order to make it financially reasonable, so they require the 21s as a prerequisite in the package. Again, that's a complete guess.

It's worth noting that the two complaints I see most frequently are from some S60 owners wishing they went with an 85 instead and from owners who went with 21s frustrated at the short tread life and cost of maintenance for replacement (and thus switching to 19s). I can't think of any other complaints I've seen regarding ordering.
Overall you maybe correct, but in my case very happy with the 60 and purchased with the 19's and then installed 21's. Very happy with both choices. Different strokes for different folks.

@Merrill - agreed, it's personal. I noticed we're in the same location. I'm very glad to hear the 21s are working out for you on our roads here. I'm down a long gravel drive so I was way too worried about the tires on 21s.

I'll see you around, and will be sure to wave!